Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
No way I want carbon monoxide coming thru any part of the inside of my coach..... Just too dangerous... Wouldn't put my family at risk that way.....

Ask yourself this - what percentage of coaches on the road have exhausts thru the roof???? Has to be a reason for that....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
No way I want carbon monoxide coming thru any part of the inside of my coach..... Just too dangerous... Wouldn't put my family at risk that way.....

Ask yourself this - what percentage of coaches on the road have exhausts thru the roof???? Has to be a reason for that....
My guess for the reason would be, in order of importance to the manufacturer, 1) little demand, 2) added cost, 3) complexity.

I don't think fear of CO leaks is even a consideration given that if the exhaust is designed into the build, a solid seamless pipe could be incorporated into a wall with no danger of leakage, or the pipe is run between the coach structure and the end cap. Either of these options means added cost and complexity for a solution to an essentially non-existant problem.

Ask yourself this--what percentage of new coach buyers ask for a remedy for generator exhaust?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #31

Another option is to run it all the way to the back like Newell does. That gets the exhaust sound and fumes far from your normal seating area and no chance of it being drawn back in through an vent.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Another option is to run it all the way to the back like Newell does. That gets the exhaust sound and fumes far from your normal seating area and no chance of it being drawn back in through an vent.

Yes, I think that is an attractive second option, and much simpler than going through the roof.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #33

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why not run it up right behind the driver's seat to the roof there? A double wall stainless pipe (you'd probably have to fabricate it) would work, with some additional insulation and I suspect it would fit into a six by six vertical 'box'.

Edit: BTW, diesel engines produce significantly less CO than a gasoline engine. I don't see CO as the major problem, I see heat being a possible issue, but not significant until the gen set is at full load. That additional insulation would help abate noise.

Were this me, I'd go with a 1 1/2 inch inner pipe, and a 2 1/2 inch outer pipe with something to keep the inner pipe centered in the outer pipe.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
My Genny is up front on a slide- When I'm parked at a Race I install my Venturi stack up and out - If you run it through the roof You Will get diesel soot all over the roof and side wall closest to to the exit. Especially during Rain. JMO !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #35

I got tired of the stink from my aqua hot and the previous owner would put a 15' flex pipe on the end of the exhaust and run it away from the coach . I put a 10 ' 2.5 " s/steel pipe that goes up the side of the coach and used 1 90@ and 2 s/steel connectors and a custom mounts . life is good again .

my front genny is on a air slide and the exhaust pipe 2.5 " goes from the front to the back and comes out at the rear bumper . the pipe goes under the coach and up and over in the wheel wells then back down and under the coach . it is very quite at the end of the exhaust

dave
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #36

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YB...U=w241-h321-no
Old 06-25-2018, 05:45 AM   #37

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WTUPoCzqr2wxDYfG7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q8o6UfbehvNNhEn69

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F2J9uFMcqNx42GPx9
Old 06-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #38

This might be over simplifying things but why not just run it up the outside of the A pillar (spaced off the bodywork a few inches but well inside the mirror) and make a 45 degree turn out at the top maybe a foot or so above the roof (same height as the AC unit)?
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDo View Post
This might be over simplifying things but why not just run it up the outside of the A pillar (spaced off the bodywork a few inches but well inside the mirror) and make a 45 degree turn out at the top maybe a foot or so above the roof (same height as the AC unit)?
That sounds a lot like the Genturi that I already have, and ugly as sin. The motivation for considering this modification is to have a permanently-installed generator exhaust that gets the fumes away from humans on the ground, and in the coach. I think there is some value in the convenience of simply starting the generator and not worrying about it.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #40

It might look good chromed with a nice chrome heat shield. Kind of like a mini stack on 378 Pete.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDo View Post
It might look good chromed with a nice chrome heat shield. Kind of like a mini stack on 378 Pete.
And get you some chrome naked lady silhouette mudflaps too.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:11 AM   #42

10-4 good buddy

Tags
generator, roof