Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #1

Generator flooding

So I believe my generator is flooding onan emerald
I can clearly smell the fuel and when I try to start it rarely wants to start I had the carb changed by Cummings less than a year ago so my question is could the fuel pump cause this issue as well
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

If it has a mechanic fuel pump it could be a tear in the diaphragm or, it could be a stuck needle and seat or the choke could be stuck in the closed position.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If the fuel pump is leaking, it could be causing the smell. A carburetor contains a float in a bowl that lifts up as the bowl fills and stops the flow of gas until the bowl needs refilling, sort of like a toilet tank. If the carburetor is working properly, no excess gas can be forced in by the fuel pump.

If you're not familiar with small engine repair, I'd take it to a proper shop, perhaps a 'Cummins' shop. If it were me, I'd remove the fuel line and pour in some SeaFoam to try cleaning it out. The carb can't be rebuilt, only replaced with another new one, so cleaning would be my first step.

I'd not try to keep using if you smell fuel, it could be a fire hazard.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If the fuel pump is leaking, it could be causing the smell. A carburetor contains a float in a bowl that lifts up as the bowl fills and stops the flow of gas until the bowl needs refilling, sort of like a toilet tank. If the carburetor is working properly, no excess gas can be forced in by the fuel pump.

If you're not familiar with small engine repair, I'd take it to a proper shop, perhaps a 'Cummins' shop. If it were me, I'd remove the fuel line and pour in some SeaFoam to try cleaning it out. The carb can't be rebuilt, only replaced with another new one, so cleaning would be my first step.

I'd not try to keep using if you smell fuel, it could be a fire hazard.

Yes as i stated it was replaced by Cummings less than a year ago but if the carb indeed works like a toilet then I guess that rules out the pump
Old 04-05-2018, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
If it has a mechanic fuel pump it could be a tear in the diaphragm or, it could be a stuck needle and seat or the choke could be stuck in the closed position.

Electric
Old 04-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you ran it regularly at least once a month for at least 1 hour at half or more load? It doesn't take long for today's fuel destroy a carburetor.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bflynn181 has given you some good advice, but before you do as he suggested I,d verify that the choke is not stuck closed. There is a slight possibility that an adjustment screw has backed out causing it to flood. Onan motors do need periodic valve adjustments but that usually manifests itself in stalling and rough running when hot.

Ethanol gas is an aluminum carbs worst enemy, either store it with a dry carb or run it at least every other week to keep sediment accumulation from forming.
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #8

Generator Gas Smell

Is your problem with the gas smell happing all the time or after you shut it down after a long run time on the Genny ? When the Generator shuts down and it is over 150 f inside the Gen cover the fuel will tend to boil out of the fuel bowl and cause a very notable smell of fuel, this is because of the alcohol content in the gas , alcohol boils at a much lower temp than straight gasoline. So when this happens you try to restart and there is no fuel in the carb because it all boiled out, so you must remove the Genny cover and let it cool and air out , because you now have a very fuel rich aircharge under the cover and you are flooding the engine. So let it cool and air out with cover removed, then hold down the prime button to refill the carb with fresh cooler fuel and it should start. I have been a Onan Gen Tech for 20 years, hope this helps !!!
Gpsmith620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Have you ran it regularly at least once a month for at least 1 hour at half or more load? It doesn't take long for today's fuel destroy a carburetor.

I full time in my rv I run it almost every day for hrs on in
Old 04-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop69GS View Post
Bflynn181 has given you some good advice, but before you do as he suggested I,d verify that the choke is not stuck closed. There is a slight possibility that an adjustment screw has backed out causing it to flood. Onan motors do need periodic valve adjustments but that usually manifests itself in stalling and rough running when hot.

Ethanol gas is an aluminum carbs worst enemy, either store it with a dry carb or run it at least every other week to keep sediment accumulation from forming.

How can I check the choke?
Old 04-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsmith620 View Post
Is your problem with the gas smell happing all the time or after you shut it down after a long run time on the Genny ? When the Generator shuts down and it is over 150 f inside the Gen cover the fuel will tend to boil out of the fuel bowl and cause a very notable smell of fuel, this is because of the alcohol content in the gas , alcohol boils at a much lower temp than straight gasoline. So when this happens you try to restart and there is no fuel in the carb because it all boiled out, so you must remove the Genny cover and let it cool and air out , because you now have a very fuel rich aircharge under the cover and you are flooding the engine. So let it cool and air out with cover removed, then hold down the prime button to refill the carb with fresh cooler fuel and it should start. I have been a Onan Gen Tech for 20 years, hope this helps !!!

Well my gen don't have a cover on my rig the door is just a open screen type so I highly doubt that's it also it only happens after I shut it down for a day when I go to crank it that's when I smell the gas as the motor rotates
Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arricejr View Post
How can I check the choke?
The choke is on a shaft that goes through the carb right where the air goes into the carb top. If you can rotate the shaft, it will open and close off the air flow into the carb.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #13

So I don't know what gives but since I last posted this the gen has been starting just fine I don't know if it was the gas or what I mean I have fueled several times and still had this problem only thing I can say changed was the weather since it's been warm gen is working flawlessly so who knows

Tags
generator