Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #1

Generator gas pickup tube

Howdy all

I have a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder 36S with a Ford F53 chassis

There's air entering my generator fuel line either at the rubber hose on top of the gas tank or the pickup tube in the tank. I am going to need to drop the tank to find out which. It's has 1/2 a tank of gas.

Is the pickup tube inside the tank replaceable?
Any tips for dropping the 75 gallon tank?

Thanks!
Httyuwma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #2

1999 F53 Fuel Pump Replacement

You can see the generator pickup tube in his pictures. It's just a metal tube that drops down into the tank. On his old pump it had a short rubber extension on it (inside the tank). That's how my '04 is set up. I would expect it needed to be transferred to the new pump assembly.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:26 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You did good making it till now!

My previous 1999 Ford chassis MH, needed a replacement generator fuel line about 10yrs ago.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:22 AM   #4

FWIW - on the ‘91 Chevy P30 chassis we had - the short hose between the actual pump discharge and the engine pickup tube had rotted and “exploded” (looked like a cartoon cigar). That was a 2018, so it made it 27 years (17k miles in that time).

Keep in mind the effects of alcohol blended gas on rubber was not fully understood then.

As for dropping the tank - the coaches 60 gallon tank had about 45 gallons of fuel in it. I went to Wally World and bought 5 5 gallon fuel carriers and a hand pump/siphon kit. At ~7#’s/gallon plus the weight of the tank itself, the tank weight was much more manageable.

Use ratchet straps and bottle jacks to help in lowering the tank. Not hard to do, just requires going at it patiently.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:52 PM   #5

floor jacks

Have dropped several auto tanks using nothing but floor jacks and plywood. Might not even have to take tank out from under rv. From the pictures I have seen, most rv tanks are very square or rectangle in design. Get it centered and let it down slowly. Can probable reach the top of tank while still sitting on jack. Good luck...........Probable wouldn't even have to drain tank.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:13 PM   #6

Typically the fuel tank on a modern fuel injected gasoline engine is under a slight amount of pressure. If you actually have air entering the fuel line while the generator is running you will most likely have fuel pouring out of that same spot when the chassis engine is running and you're traveling down the road. While I can't speak to a 1999 F53 specifically, I know for sure the Workhorse chassis coaches spew gasoline out of the generator pick up line if there is a hole or leak in that line.

Just something to think about.
AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:57 AM   #7

I'm not sure you have a problem. Motor homes have a short pickup tube for the generator, between 1/4 and 1/2 tank the generator will run out of fuel. It's done like that to so the generator doesn't use all the fuel and strand you miles from a gas station.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:36 PM   #8

Besides the possibility of the generator running the tank dry is there any issues with tapping the engine rubber fuel line with a T fitting?

The welded brace between the jacks will make dropping the tank ,even a few inches, a huge job. Also I can't get at it through the floor because of wood flooring and the black tank in the way.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2022, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Httyuwma View Post
Besides the possibility of the generator running the tank dry is there any issues with tapping the engine rubber fuel line with a T fitting?

The welded brace between the jacks will make dropping the tank ,even a few inches, a huge job. Also I can't get at it through the floor because of wood flooring and the black tank in the way.

Thanks!
You’ll need to have a check valve in both ports downstream of the fuel tank port of the tee to prevent the downstream devices from trying to suck air from the other downstream device.
The other device on the tee will also need to have its own fuel pump as well.
You’ll need to be sure the fuel use rate of the genset and the added device doesn’t exceed the possible flow rate of the genset line capacity.

And finally- this should have been a new topic posting. , not a thread hijack .
Old 04-30-2022, 04:25 PM   #10

You cannot tap into eng fuel line... the pressure is 40+ psi.. and gen uses only 5psi. This would cause fuel to blow out carb on gen.. cause fire or explode.. maybe..
If you cannot drop tank.. look around the tank closely.. because ... there maybe another fill port on tank that is capped off.. many fuel tanks have 2 filler ports.. one used.. the other capped off..

My gen line broke at top of tank.. so I closely inspected the fuel tank.. and found that the tank was made for right hand or left hand fill.. the coach maker used left hand fill ... so I found a rubber cap over right hand fill port not used.. so I ran my own line down unused fill port.. then used rtv to seal real good around new fuel line.. tip... make sure you use best fuel line you can.. I like 3/8 aluminum line.. rubber fuel line is ok.. use hi pressure and alcohol resistance type... not the cheapie crap ...

Some members here post that if no other access available.. they fish a nylon fuel line down a hole they make in fuel tank filler hose.. as close to tank as possible.. then seal around the place where line you fished in goes.. if you don't seal well.. then computer will throw evac codes.. maybe...

So I ran my line to bottom of tank and pulled up just enough not to suck junk off bottom.. I don't have auto start.. and will not run dry.. so use your own judgement.. saved me a lot of time and money..
Oh you tube KEVIN CAUDILL and look for emergency fuel pump.. it will show you what I am talking about.. only he uses it for running extra eng fuel pump.. I used it for gen line instead... THANK YOU MR. KEVIN CAUDILL .. for idea.. I can't remember where the post is for running gen line down filler hose..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-30-2022, 05:20 PM   #11

MrMark52, You're answering is very enlightening! Never thought of all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
And finally- this should have been a new topic posting. , not a thread hijack .
Never thought it was possible to hijack my own post though.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:26 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe I'm missing something, but I suspect, and the link provided by another poster shows that the pick-up tube for the generator will be a solid metal tube in the tank. You just need to get a new rubber hose from the top of the tank sending unit to the generator.

I had a similar issue on a Workhorse chassis. I could get my fat head between the frame rails and see the sending unit and all the hoses. I just couldn't reach them.

If you can drop the tank a few inches, using a jack and supporting it with wood blocking, you may be able to reach the hose depending on where it's at on the tank. The one that supplies the generator may be hard to determine since there will probably be at least three similar hoses. I would follow the generator hose from the generator back and free it from the frame so you can have someone wiggle it so you can see which hose it is as you look. Have 30' - 40' of new hose ready and install it. You may want to temporarily connect it to the generator to make sure the issue is resolved before you bolt everything back up. Be careful not to pinch the new hose when tightening the tank back in place.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:15 AM   #13

donr103 is right - I didn’t note that you were asking to tap the engine fuel line - I thought for some reason you were wanting to tap the genset fuel line.

But IF you were to tap the engine line and put a pressure regulator on it then you would be defeating the purpose of the shorter fuel pick-up line.

And my comment for the thread hi-jack is because of my error. I apologize.

Tags
gas, generator