Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #15

I had the same frustrating issue with 2010 Hurricane. I bought the Hurricane used with only 10,000 miles. The generator worked fine at home even when it was 110 degrees. After 15 or 20 him urea in thee road it would shut down. I originally thought it was over heating but that was not the case. My dealer initially was unable to solve it. I contacted the Onan manufacturer on-line and they suggested testing the fuel pump. My dealer refused tondo that so I fired him. I took it to Bell RV in Phoenix and the fuel pump was tested and replaced. Almost two years later and two Arizona summers no issues.

Hope that help you.
Bymorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Take care of your Gen.Set & it will take care of you.

Try not to let your fuel tank get below half full that way you will always have fuel to run your generator, you need to exercise it a lot just so it will work when you really need it
I run mine when I am on the road that way it will not bother anyone.

Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #17

Is this on a gas generator?

How many hours on the generator?

When was the last oil change, and did it get filled all the way?

My Onan 7KW takes two quarts. The second quart is really hard to get in. It is slooooowwwww. It will go in, but you have to take your time.

If the oil level is low, the generator will shut off. You should have an error code. Is the red light blinking on the start button after shut down? The number of blinks is the error code. The owners manual will tell you what the code means. It should be a 2 or a 23 for oil-related faults.

A new Onan is required to have an oil change at 20 hours. This is the break in oil change. Then, it's every 150 hours after that. If you are running it low right now, that may lead to a rough break in period. Long term excessive oil usage can occur without proper break in. I had a brain lapse and thought my Onan needed its first oil change at 50 hours -oops. I did add oil during that period. I have very little oil usage now and have more than 400 hours and 3 oil changes.

If it is not the oil level, my guess is fuel pump and then generator ground. Those two issues seem to come up with the Onan gas generators.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
The generator is a 5500 Quiet Onan, Our MH is gas powered.

I have read many of the post on here, and as far as a error I have never seen anything, again so new at this not sure what I would be looking for, still learning a lot.

We are running it while traveling to keep it cool and have the refrigerator going.

It happens when we are stopped, example we went into the store my husband and I can back in and it was off. Our Daughters were sitting out side with our dogs cause it was too hot.

Then when we are traveling on the highway it will go off, sometimes we can get it to start right up, it takes a couple of seconds.

We checked the level and we were in the middle, As far as changing the oil, we have not done it, since we just purchased we would assume that the dealer would do that. Going to get some oil and add it to the full line.

I have noticed that when we first got it, and put gas in the tank, we could not get the pump to do it automatically, had to stand there and hold it to pump the fuel. Today was the first day I did not have to do it, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Also today when I opened the gas cover I got a lot of pressure release come out.

We do have a automatic start for it, and it is located in the drivers side towards the back.

Going to try and contact Cummins and see what they can tell me also.

Thanks everyone.
saronagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's the manual for your generator. I suggest you read about the error messages and how to retrieve them.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/rv/f-1123.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #20

On our Onan 5500 I found that if the oil level is even a little low and is hot the generator will shut down while driving.
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by saronagrl View Post
We have a 2015 HR vacationer that we just purchased.
When we are traveling the generator keeps turning off. And sometimes it takes a while to come on. Refreagator is all that is on and running.
We are new to rving.the back gets very hot,
Also the dealer told use not to run the front AC since it uses more gas.
So between listening to the dealer, we feel like the marshmallow With no front air or back so times.
Would appericate any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
On our Onan 5500 I found that if the oil level is even a little low and is hot the generator will shut down while driving.
saronagrl
My old (1975 Onan), would do that if the oil was below the FULL mark on the dipstick.... but only on very HOT days.... AND only when driving around right hand curves/corners.
Switching from 30 weight to 15w-50 motor oil cured that.

RVs, (and generators in particular), can be finicky beasts.
Good luck with yours.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #22

When the generator shuts off from oil level, does it produce the 36 error code?
Car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Happy to say bought it back to Cummins and after the fuel pump change and now the carabrator it seems to be working good!
keeping my fingers crossed I don't have anymore issues with it.
saronagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
IF it doesn't, insulate the pump and as much of the fuel line as possible.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:32 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a couple of things to keep in mind here. First, your generator running the overhead AC uses less fuel than your in dash air. The genset will uses approximately .6 gallons per hour under load (this will vary according to size) and the dash air burns 1/2 gallon per mile. A big fuel savings by using the genset and overhead air. Your engine will also run cooler not having the dash air on.

Second, if you are running the generator in exceptionally hot weather and with a lot of stop and go traffic it's possible to create a vapor lock in the fuel line, also generators have a temperature cutoff sensor. That could be coming into play with hot weather. You are under warranty. I'd let the dealer figure it out.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
There are a couple of things to keep in mind here. First, your generator running the overhead AC uses less fuel than your in dash air. The genset will uses approximately .6 gallons per hour under load (this will vary according to size) and the dash air burns 1/2 gallon per mile. A big fuel savings by using the genset and overhead air. Your engine will also run cooler not having the dash air on.

Second, if you are running the generator in exceptionally hot weather and with a lot of stop and go traffic it's possible to create a vapor lock in the fuel line, also generators have a temperature cutoff sensor. That could be coming into play with hot weather. You are under warranty. I'd let the dealer figure it out.

Half a gallon per mile? Might wanna check that. Even with a big fuel tank you'll be stopping lots. I'm guessing you meant to say 1/2 mile per gallon?
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Whether 1/2 gallon per mile or gallon, I question the figure. The Society of Automotive Engineers, (SAE) has tested A/C efficiency and say it's between 5-10% reduction of your MPG. Considering the other costs of operating a separate engine, the dash A/C is much more efficient fuel and costs considered, than running the generator and leaving the dash air off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Right, but in the south, running just the dash AC isn't an option. Especially when traveling with pets.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator