Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #1

Generator life span

Just out of curiousity, how long does a generator usually last before the engine needs rebuilt? I have 639 hours on ours and a full load run for 8 hours will consume a quart of oil, seems high to me.
I just put a new carb on it and did a tune up also, this unit is an 89 emerald III.

By the way, my new carb ran a whole three days before it started severly flooding out, I pulled the float bowl off and discovered the float assembly was too tight, the fuel was rising but the float was not. I filed the edges down to make it flop easier and now it works great.
vegas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Whoa, a quart in 8 hours?!! Well, at least you'll never have to worry about changing the oil

I think you need new rings, my friend. A gennie with 600 hrs is hardly at the end of its lifespan.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Decades.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We have no idea how many ours is on ours. We had the radiator flushed on it and it had been running fine.

After that it quit, found out the waterpump metal piece had sheared. That burned up the alternator so they put a rebuilt waterpump in and a new alternator and a belt of course. Hubby is going a hour meter on it.

Went to Indiana and back on first trip, ran it all day long while driving many hours and it never used any. So glad that happened at the mechanic instead of on a trip or that would be miserable.

I would hate to think it used a quart every 8 hours, wow.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
The truth about generator life I would expect to relate to a couple of questions. What brand and type. If it is a name brand like Onan, it's life will be a lot different than one of those cheap knock off units made in a third world country and sold thru mail order for a low price. Secondly, like anything else it has to do with how well it has been taken care of, from oil change, maintenance, application, etc.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
The truth about generator life I would expect to relate to a couple of questions. What brand and type. If it is a name brand like Onan, it's life will be a lot different than one of those cheap knock off units made in a third world country and sold thru mail order for a low price. Secondly, like anything else it has to do with how well it has been taken care of, from oil change, maintenance, application, etc.
Hate to say this but disagree . Made in America means a whole new thing these days. ( I'm not going to ague it here )
I have a made in China BIG wood chipper than is going and going and still going.
In fact many things you think are made in America are just re-stamped made in china stuff with the case or housing made in America and even then the case or housing is messed up or defective .
YMMV
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I went to the Onan factory school, they said the design life of the generator was ten thousand hours. According to Onan the number one reason for oil usage is shutting down the generator without letting it cool down. The load should be removed from the generator and the generator should be run about five minutes to cool down before shutting it down. If the the generator is shut down under load without being cooled down, You will have a dry start and the cylinder walls will scuff and cause oil usage.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many things that affect the life of a genrator.. I have seen them last 10-20-30 more years than I have lived (over 60) years and still going strong with proper care and feeding and regular exercise
Old 08-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Decades.
Agree...if it's a diesel.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
When I went to the Onan factory school, they said the design life of the generator was ten thousand hours. According to Onan the number one reason for oil usage is shutting down the generator without letting it cool down. The load should be removed from the generator and the generator should be run about five minutes to cool down before shutting it down. If the the generator is shut down under load without being cooled down, You will have a dry start and the cylinder walls will scuff and cause oil usage.
I have to say that mine was probably not very well cared for. I've been removing the load and letting it cool before shutdown but I think the damage was already done by the previous owner, sad really considering the price of a new one.
I ran into a lot of little surprises on this coach after I bought it, all do to lack of maintenance or interest.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I myself would try a little marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. If you have rings that are not seating well due to lack of use, it might help. A generator with 600 or so hours should not be shot already. Give the marvel mystery oil a try. Nothing to lose except 6 bucks.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #12

Your last post is revealing. I wonder if the previous owner ever changed the oil or air filter. At 600 hours it should be nicely broken in, not used up.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
I myself would try a little marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. If you have rings that are not seating well due to lack of use, it might help. A generator with 600 or so hours should not be shot already. Give the marvel mystery oil a try. Nothing to lose except 6 bucks.
Thank you, I'll try that. My cousin in law owns a machine shop and builds quite a few motors for the air cooled legends cars, I dont see why he couldnt rebuild this thing for me in the future.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Your last post is revealing. I wonder if the previous owner ever changed the oil or air filter. At 600 hours it should be nicely broken in, not used up.
Probably didnt do a thing to it.

Tags
generator