Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #1

Generator oil change?

Our Holiday rambler has Onan genny. Manual says 100 hrs or one year for oil change. Due to virus we have not used since Tampa show early this year. I did last change in November last year so time wise it is time to change. I only have 29 hours on the thing and mostly due to starting to run every month. Would you change oil at 29 hours.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #2

I change my oil yearly no matter how few hrs on the genny for what it cost to do an oil change I think it is cheap insurance. I believe the genny is pretty expensive to replace. That is my thought
TGAWLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #3

I would not
But I'm sure you will get arguments on both sides... some are adamant about time others not so much.
Many truckers & boaters go by sampling and results determine when to change.
IMO oil doesn't degrade w time and magically "time out" at 12 mos.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #4

True the basic oil doesn’t change but contamination due to moisture does. I change mine annually and would be more inclined not to if I knew the unit was run under a 50 to 75% load regularly. Background is power plants from 5KW to 42 Megawatts on shore and Offshore
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
Our Holiday rambler has Onan genny. Manual says 100 hrs or one year for oil change. Due to virus we have not used since Tampa show early this year. I did last change in November last year so time wise it is time to change. I only have 29 hours on the thing and mostly due to starting to run every month. Would you change oil at 29 hours.
I wouldn't if I had been running it for a couple of hours monthly.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Not a diesel but something to ponder .. the Chevy volt has a 50 mile elect range so the gas engine rarely runs unless on long trips . The computer determines when the oil needs changing. It goes by engine miles / run time or TWO years. When I had the volt it only went off at the 2 year mark. Chevy must think 2 years with low use is not a problem.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lot's of people go by the rule, 'change the oil before putting the ----- to sleep for the winter'!
If you religiously run your gen with a good load for a couple of hours (so even the oil comes up to full temp), each month, there is no winter for it!
Old 11-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Would you change oil at 29 hours.

No, not unless I had some reason to think there may be contamination of the oil.

The engineers have no idea where you go or what you do, so their recommended service intervals have to cover the "worst case" scenarios. If I felt confident I had started with quality clean oil & filter, didn't operate in severe conditions, and nobody has been mucking around with it, I'd feel comfortable going another year.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No, not unless I had some reason to think there may be contamination of the oil.

The engineers have no idea where you go or what you do, so their recommended service intervals have to cover the "worst case" scenarios. If I felt confident I had started with quality clean oil & filter, didn't operate in severe conditions, and nobody has been mucking around with it, I'd feel comfortable going another year.
Agree with these conclusions.

But, 5 quarts of oil is a minor expense if you change it yourself in a free half hour of your time.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Agree with these conclusions.

But, 5 quarts of oil is a minor expense if you change it yourself in a free half hour of your time.
yes but try 19 qt or more i would not change at 29 hrs
Old 11-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #12

I would probably change it, as a matter of fact, I just changed mine with similar hours. I was already under the MH changing the engine oil so minimal extra work. Less than 2 quarts of oil, cheap insurance if concerned about contamination.
If I hadn't gotten it done I wouldn't worry about it until next year.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGAWLAK View Post
I change my oil yearly no matter how few hrs on the genny for what it cost to do an oil change I think it is cheap insurance. I believe the genny is pretty expensive to replace. That is my thought
Totally agree.
Some years may have more hours on the generator than other years.
We have never hit the 100 hrs. in a year, so simplify things by making it an annual task, no matter where the hours sit.
Don't forget to add fuel stabilizer to your gas tank and then run the generator before putting it away for a long storage period.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #14

My understanding is the acid build up is the problem. I would change it but I do all my own preventive maintenance and by nature I am a very proactive vs a reactive person. You also indicated a 100 hr change interval, that seems odd to me as I would think you can go much longer than that.

Safe travels

Tags
generator