Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #1

Generator Oil Leak...

How much of a problem is this?

1993 Winnebago 34' with a used Onan 4000 watt generator installed about 1 month ago. Ran it really for the 1st time for about an hour when I noticed this... (see pics)

The wet spot is what I noticed under the flywheel (I think) at first after about 1 hour of run time. The second pic is what I saw looking directly up. The third is a kraft paper covered airbag after about an additional 20 minutes run time.

I shut it down and checked the oil which oddly appeared to be really overfilled a bit to me. Any ideas of what kind of leak I might be looking at? Have I done any damage to the generator by running it with oil spraying on the inside coating who knows what? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0606211854.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	331106   Click image for larger version

Name:	0606211855.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	331107  

Name:	0606211915.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	331108  
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 09:39 PM   #2

If it was overfilled then this could be from that. Onan 4000 only holds about a quart and has no filter.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
My 1988 in my Winnie has a filter.....I'd check for tightness of the filter..
I found a dead rat-mouskie in those same cooling lower vents..
It was not a happy Ratso.....R.I.P......(:+).......
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #4

Thanks to you both for responding. I'm betting and hoping that Massparanoia is right, that it is too full. I'm hoping no seals blew and its just exiting through the PCV. Have not checked the air filter for oil yet. On that note, this generator does have an oil filter. It is a 30 amp/4K set but it has a spin-on filter which I couldn't hand tighten any further. The model number is 4BGEFA26100K which a Google search showed me it was a KY series Microquiet but looking at it it looks like a Emerald. Must be a 5PM Friday end-of-shift special or something like that.

1st pic is my set with info decals. 2nd pic is an Ebay special which is closer to what I have in appearance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0607211238.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	331238   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	331239  

Old 06-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great genset, 1800 rpm, wish onan would bring it back, HATE the 3600 rpm Mico notsoquiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
Thanks to you both for responding. I'm betting and hoping that Massparanoia is right, that it is too full. I'm hoping no seals blew and its just exiting through the PCV. Have not checked the air filter for oil yet. On that note, this generator does have an oil filter. It is a 30 amp/4K set but it has a spin-on filter which I couldn't hand tighten any further. The model number is 4BGEFA26100K which a Google search showed me it was a KY series Microquiet but looking at it it looks like a Emerald. Must be a 5PM Friday end-of-shift special or something like that.

1st pic is my set with info decals. 2nd pic is an Ebay special which is closer to what I have in appearance.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pretty sure this Onan is splash lubricated, there wouldn't be any oil under pressure in the engine block. The first place I'd suspect oil to be coming out in the event of over fill would be the breather, which exits into the carb air intake.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post

I am confused by the photos. On top is a paper data plate. On the bottom it looks like the real metal data plate. Or you sure this is not a “hot” generator. The search should not come up a microquiet generator. Onan would not have made a mistake like that. I don’t remember seeing a paper data plate on a Onan and I have worked on hundreds.
Something is fishy.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am confused by the photos. On top is a paper data plate. On the bottom it looks like the real metal data plate. Or you sure this is not a “hot” generator. The search should not come up a microquiet generator. Onan would not have made a mistake like that. I don’t remember seeing a paper data plate on a Onan and I have worked on hundreds.
Something is fishy.
I have no idea. Its used/reconditioned and was installed at an RV dealer not far from me. I get your point and plan on making a call to find out what model exactly I'm dealing with.

Just for the sake of clarity... the 2nd, lower pic of my most recent post was an example, not my actual set.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:19 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Pretty sure this Onan is splash lubricated, there wouldn't be any oil under pressure in the engine block. The first place I'd suspect oil to be coming out in the event of over fill would be the breather, which exits into the carb air intake.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
It has a oil filter you can’t filter oil without a pump.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #10

Think I found my leak. To make clear its a Onan BGE Emerald Plus 4K, circa 1994. My initial suspicion that the crankcase was overfull wasn't it. I drained the pan and the filter and got about 3.5 quarts. Looking at the filter housing I noticed a small rivulet of oil where the sensor is. Must be it. I'll have to see if I can find a part. Thanks to those who chimed in with advice.

If anyone has any experience in getting or installing the part please post it. Don't know yet if its part of the filter housing or if it just screws in where its at.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0608211951.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	331412   Click image for larger version

Name:	0608211915a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	331413  

Name:	0608211915b.jpg