Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generator only putting out 7 volts?

Hi....Just put in a new voltage regulator on my Generac Quietpack 65 and the voltage output went from 155 Volts to 120 volts as desired. So far so good. However then I installed a new automatic transfer switch (ATS) to replace my old recalled IOTA (I put in a new ESCO LPT50BRD) and now the voltage coming from the generator is only 7 volts on both hot legs (instead of 120 on both hot legs)....and I have no power going to the motorhome from the generator although the shore power works fine. Not sure what went wrong. Perhaps I wired it incorrectly but I don't think so (see photo attached), or more likely I probably somehow tripped the excitation circuit breaker and lost the magnetic field which apparently results in a voltage of only 7-11 volts with this particular generator. Which leaves the question of how to "excite the field" again with this type of generator...some have suggested holding the start switch down about 5 more seconds after the engine starts? But I'm worried about damaging the new starter I just put into the generator. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3769.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	233652  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

The starter kicks out while running, even holding the start button.

7 volts on each hot leg to neutral or 7 volts between the 2 hot legs ?

Should be 0 between each hot leg.

Can't see the labels under the generator wires. Both blacks should go to line connections. Both whites go to single neutral.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Twinboat.....7 volts is present on each hot wire from the generator (both are black wires).

The generator is wired in the middle position on the ATS.

Both hot wires that can be seen in the generator lines in the ATS are black, but the wires coming out from the generator originally are red and black...and converted to black & black by the time they reach the ATS.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is the wiring diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3773.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	233665  
Old 01-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How do you have the delay switch set?
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

Holding start button in 2-3 secs won't hurt and might just fix your problem.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Rgvtexan....Didn't know I could set a delay switch with this unit.....is that the delay switch that allows the generator to get up to full power before the power goes into the motorhome?

Hi Larryjb2.....I assume you mean holding the generator start button down for 2-3 additional seconds after the generator has already started?

Another thought.....my previous ATS (by IOTA) had a special connection for a carriage ground, but this unit does not specify a place to connect a carriage ground....In my installation I did connect a carriage ground to my ground bar (furthest copper ground to the left in the wiring photo) but perhaps I shouldn't have...could this be tripping the excitation circuit breaker (and thus loosing the field boost current....magnetic field)?
Old 01-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #8

Is the generator RPMs up to speed ?

Hold the start button to flash the fields.

The ATS delay will have no effect on generator output.

Check the generator output at the junction box, near the generator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:16 AM   #9

When the generator starts wait 2-3 secs before releasing the button.
Do Not depress the start button after you let go and the generator is running!!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have equipment to check the RPM but the generator runs and sounds just about perfect except for putting out only 7 volts. Is there an easy way to check the RPM?

Talked to a generator repair shop and they said that I need to clean the slip rings & brush block and replace the excitation circuit breaker which they think may be stuck in the open position.

This sounds like a bit much for a unit for only 285 hours on it.

They also said that this generator is "self exciting" and that there is no reason to excite it again? They are estimating abt. $300 in parts and labor to resolve the issue.

May try your "start button hold down repair attempt" first.....

Am starting to think that the ATS has nothing to do with the generator problem but it is a heck of a coincidence that the generator was putting out 120 before I installed the ATS
Old 02-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #11

Find a receptacle that is reading the 7 volts. Plug a drill into the outlet, pull the trigger and spin the drill in reverse as fast as you can by hand or chuck a battery drill to it and run the battery drill so that the corded drill turns backward. I've done this with portable generators and it fixed the field. But they sat for a long time and lost the field magnetism.

Tags
generator