RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

generator problem

Generator won't turn over. When I push the start switch it just clicks. Acts like a dead battery. I'm new to the RV scene and know very little about it. Batteries went dead while driving. Had the alternator replaced and that appears to have fixed that problem. However, now the generator will not turn over. Does the generator run off of the chassis battery or House battery?
strandedimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

whats your Year Make and Model of coach, and your size/type Generator??

sometimes, the diesel version of the Onan generator take 'priming' time before cranking, that's the 'clicks' you are hearing... if you had no battery power you'd have none. The generator sometimes takes 15 to 30 seconds to crank over and start.
the priming is bring the fuel up the line from the vehicle's fuel tank...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Mister T gave you good advice!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #4

generator problem

2012 Tiffin 32BR. Has Onan diesel generator.
strandedimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedimo View Post
Does the generator run off of the chassis battery or House battery?
Some manufacturers used the chassis batteries to start the gen, others used the house bank.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I presume the generator is mounted in the front of the coach. Go there, and get access to the generator directly. There will be a start/stop button there. Listen for the "clicka-clicka" of the fuel pump when you hit (and hold) the start button. As was mentioned earlier, that may run for some time before the generator starts to crank.

The other thing that may be going on is that the heater in the cylinder may be warming up before the generator is allowed to start. This will happen in "cold" weather (cold being below 60 degrees or so, maybe even warmer than that). Again, just hold the start button for a while and it should start.

It is possible that the battery, whichever it is that starts the Generator, is dead. If you do not hear the pump running (priming) when you try to start the generator, go back inside the coach and activate the switch that links the coach and house batteries, usually mounted within reach of the driver. This will use the "other" battery bank, whichever that is, to power the generator start. If the engine will crank and run, this should provide power to the generator, also.

Try these steps and let us know how you fare, there are other steps to take, but this will isolate the problem a bit.

Mike
Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #7

x2 on using the dash "boost" button. Maybe your batteries are down. Some diesel gennys take about 20 seconds before they even engage the starter. If the temperature outside is cool, it may engage the glow plugs or heating element. I know on my friends, you push the button, and hold it down. The light pulses green for about twenty seconds, then you hear the starter engage. The light turns solid green when it starts.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #8

Have a similar situation except mine is a bad switch inside the rig... I can hold it down and it "clicks" for up to to minutes but it never turns the starter over. I can raise the hood, push the start switch on the gennie and it fires right up...
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #9

Wonder if your primary fuel tank is below a 1/4 to a third full as I believe the gen will not start if level is too low.
MikeOBOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOBOR View Post
Wonder if your primary fuel tank is below a 1/4 to a third full as I believe the gen will not start if level is too low.

I think the starter will still crank the engine but it just wonít start.
gcamper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator