Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #1

Generator quick drain

Does anyone know, or have installed an EZ-115 quick oil drain valve in an Onan QD8000 generator? The current bolt / plug that is currently installed is so tight, it’s just insane. Thought maybe one of these may b3 a long term solution.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2022, 06:02 PM   #2

Your going to have to get the plug out anyway - it doesn’t have to be reinstalled as tightly.

The EZ drain just makes it easier to drain oil so as to not have to take the plug out.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you reinstall that plug use Teflon thread tape and it will be easier to remove next time. Like Mark said, it doesn't need to be installed so tight that it's hard to remove as there is not a lot of crank case pressure.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #4

I kind of agree with you about the drain valve. Went down to NAPA today and bought a breaker bar and 6 point 3/8” socket to remove the plug. Asked Freightliner what they would charge to change the oil and filter - their quote highly motivated me.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I kind of agree with you about the drain valve. Went down to NAPA today and bought a breaker bar and 6 point 3/8” socket to remove the plug. Asked Freightliner what they would charge to change the oil and filter - their quote highly motivated me.
Makes me wonder - is there more than 1 drain plug on the unit, and you removed the one that wasn’t meant to be removed?
Old 03-29-2022, 12:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
LOL. They quoted by $799 before the pandemic. $200 for the genny.
I do my own oil changes now. But my 15 inch breaker bar wasn't doing the job, or I'm just too weak, so I inserted the breaker bar into a metal 48 inch metal pipe (that I had found years ago and was just leaned up in the corner of my garage.). The bolt came right off. I felt like such a whimp
But hey, it worked. lol
Old 04-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #7

Problem solved! Used the 1/2" breaker bar and 3/8" 6 point socket and the drain plug came out easier than i thought it would. Got the oil and filter changed, put some anti seize on the plug and installed. Life is good I had ordered the EZ-Drain 115 valve (fits the QD8000 with 1/4" NPT threads), and since the plug came out easily, I'm returning that. Only issue - decided I don't roll around on the ground as well as I used too.......
Old 04-02-2022, 05:49 AM   #8

Yes-- the drain plug on mine must have been installed by the proverbial 900 lb. gorilla. Breaker bar with a pipe over it and a 6 pt socket took care of that.
If you think the oil drain plug is tight, wait til you try to remove the radiator drain plug to change your coolant.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:49 AM   #9

Yes-- the drain plug on mine must have been installed by the proverbial 900 lb. gorilla. Breaker bar with a pipe over it and a 6 pt socket took care of that.
If you think the oil drain plug is tight, wait til you try to remove the radiator drain plug to change your coolant.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #10

I don't know how much oil the 8,000 holds but my 3200 only holds about a quart and a half so I just suck it out with a Mityvac. The way my drain plug is located thru a hole in the lower compartment cover results in oil getting in between the lower cover and the underside of the generator where it is impossible to clean up.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Problem solved! Used the 1/2" breaker bar and 3/8" 6 point socket and the drain plug came out easier than i thought it would. Got the oil and filter changed, put some anti seize on the plug and installed. Life is good I had ordered the EZ-Drain 115 valve (fits the QD8000 with 1/4" NPT threads), and since the plug came out easily, I'm returning that. Only issue - decided I don't roll around on the ground as well as I used too.......
Welcome to the " I don't roll around on the ground like I used to club".
I am gathering leverage tools as I get older. Know what I mean?
Are you still in Powell Butte? I've probably driven by your place many times. I used to live on the East side of Bend and I worked for a construction outfit that was on Powell Butte Road. Just curious.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Welcome to the " I don't roll around on the ground like I used to club".
I am gathering leverage tools as I get older. Know what I mean?
Are you still in Powell Butte? I've probably driven by your place many times. I used to live on the East side of Bend and I worked for a construction outfit that was on Powell Butte Road. Just curious.
Yep - still in Powell Butte, up in the Red Cloud Ranch area, About a mile south of the Country Store, church and school. The place is n=booming here with ranchers selling land and 5 acre home sites with massive houses being built. Might be time to think about moving again, as the area has more growth than housing now.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Yep - still in Powell Butte, up in the Red Cloud Ranch area, About a mile south of the Country Store, church and school. The place is n=booming here with ranchers selling land and 5 acre home sites with massive houses being built. Might be time to think about moving again, as the area has more growth than housing now.
I drove thru and spent one night in Bend on the way home. Drove out to my old home and got lost on the way back in, lol. I lived there in the 80's. Things have changed a lot.
Take care.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator