Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Generator remote start

Hello, wondering if someone could help me pin point the problem with my generac genset? I can start from my dash but can not shut it off there. If I hit the off button it cranks starter on the generator,I have take the remote wire off of the control box and it's clean ( not oxidized or dirty).So the only way too shut it down is going out to the generator.
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
Hello, wondering if someone could help me pin point the problem with my generac genset? I can start from my dash but can not shut it off there. If I hit the off button it cranks starter on the generator,I have take the remote wire off of the control box and it's clean ( not oxidized or dirty).So the only way too shut it down is going out to the generator.
steppinstone
I suspect either the "stop wire" from the generator to your remote stop/start switch is bad, disconnected, broken or corroded....(OR that the stop/start switch itself has failed).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
steppinstone
I suspect either the "stop wire" from the generator to your remote stop/start switch is bad, disconnected, broken or corroded....(OR that the stop/start switch itself has failed).
If I move the rocker switch ether way it cranks the starter / and the only way to shut it down is on the gen,. The switch on the gen, I can start and stop on the gen, no problem. I have taken the remote harness off the gen and the plug was very clean wires look good. unless like you said maybe the switch is defective I'll have to take dash apart and look I guess.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Do you have the 75D Generac? If so I can post the wiring diagram if you like.
It does sound like a bad switch at the dash, but thats from several miles away.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
If I move the rocker switch ether way it cranks the starter / and the only way to shut it down is on the gen,. The switch on the gen, I can start and stop on the gen, no problem. I have taken the remote harness off the gen and the plug was very clean wires look good. unless like you said maybe the switch is defective I'll have to take dash apart and look I guess.
I would lean away from corroded wired and lean towards a broken switch based on the fact that it hits the starter if you try to stop it.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #6

Thanks mel s, pandk and imob, I think tomorrow afternoon if I get a chance I will take out the dash too get too the switch and go from there i'm crossing my fingers it's an easy fix.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

Well I finally got a chance to take out the switch and all the wires seemed to have a good connection . so I tried to start it and now it sounds like the starter is not fully engaging. does the starter have a spring on it that when it's hit it sends the gear up to the flywheel? Do I have to take the whole gen out to get to the starter? If I do how do you take it out ?from the bottom or out the compartment door? I hate to ask stupid questions but that's how we learn
Old 09-30-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Well I finally got a chance to take out the switch and all the wires seemed to have a good connection . so I tried to start it and now it sounds like the starter is not fully engaging. does the starter have a spring on it that when it's hit it sends the gear up to the flywheel? Do I have to take the whole gen out to get to the starter? If I do how do you take it out ?from the bottom or out the compartment door? I hate to ask stupid questions but that's how we learn
Yes the starter is often on the back side of the gen. Assuming that you have an older rig like mine and it does not have slides for the gen you will have to undo the fuel line, and some of the connection wires before you can drop it. Replacing the starter itself is a breeze and rather cheap.

As for dropping the gen safely... I found that a motorcycle stand/lift worked wonderful. I got mine from Harbor Freight.

1500 lb. Capacity ATV/Motorcycle Lift
Old 09-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #9

And I thought it was going to easy ( NOT) I figured the starter would be an easy task to remove it's just the taking the gen out that going to be pain full. I don't no why these engineers can't figure a way to make things easy..Now do you no if the gear is spring loaded I am hoping that it's just a weak spring and not the whole starter. This is a generac np 55 g series
Old 09-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
And I thought it was going to easy ( NOT) I figured the starter would be an easy task to remove it's just the taking the gen out that going to be pain full. I don't no why these engineers can't figure a way to make things easy..Now do you no if the gear is spring loaded I am hoping that it's just a weak spring and not the whole starter. This is a generac np 55 g series
Really it is much easier then it sounds. And what you have to disconnect depends on your installation. On mine it was the fuel line. battery power, and 3 quick connects for the starting switches. Put the jack under, undo 6 bolts and down it goes. 2 wires on the starter and 3 bolts... all easy to get to. Reverse the process and done. For me it was 30 min of work out and 30 min of work back in. 1 hr total.

As for the "spring" don't mess with it.. starters are cheap. For me because Onan's are really hard to match unless you have the magic book I found that pulling it and then order the part is much better. This allows you to visually match and get any part numbers off the unit before ordering the wrong thing.

And yea... if they put them ALL on slides it would make things easier.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
Really it is much easier then it sounds. And what you have to disconnect depends on your installation. On mine it was the fuel line. battery power, and 3 quick connects for the starting switches. Put the jack under, undo 6 bolts and down it goes. 2 wires on the starter and 3 bolts... all easy to get to. Reverse the process and done. For me it was 30 min of work out and 30 min of work back in. 1 hr total.

As for the "spring" don't mess with it.. starters are cheap. For me because Onan's are really hard to match unless you have the magic book I found that pulling it and then order the part is much better. This allows you to visually match and get any part numbers off the unit before ordering the wrong thing.
Thanks I guess its going to have to wait for a couple of days before I can do any thing .The rain is in the forecast for the next couple of day's don't like laying on my back in puddles of water.

Tags
generator