Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #1

Thumbs up Generator Replacement Gasoline to LP

My Onan generator died and being a 2000, parts are no longer available. Purchased an LP Onan and will pick it up today.
Are there any particular challenges to be expected during my R & R process.
Is running the LP gas line to the genset any sort of a problem.

Any advice...anything is welcome.
sanjboltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #2

LP GEN......best to have it's OWN LP Reg to avoid flow issues to RV & Gen
Install a 'T' in supply line prior to OEM Reg then pipe in NEW LP Reg stacked above the OEM Reg.....then run low pressure hose to gen
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #3

We have the Onan 6500 propane gen. Cant comment on the install but the issues I have......... noisy due to being air cooled and not economical due to not being "smart". When boondocking we tend to run gen for a couple hours sometimes 2x a day mainly just to charge batteries. That thing runs full bore all the time sucking propane and as I mentioned is NOISY.
My solution was to purchase a smaller propane portable that is smart and can run on way less fuel when only needed for batt charging and light load duties.
Just my observation.
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #4

I'm not up on the pro and cons of gas versus propane, curious, what made you switch to propane.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

If the generator runs on liquid propane, you need a liquid valve on your tank.

Not all do but you need to check that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If the generator runs on liquid propane, you need a liquid valve on your tank.

Not all do but you need to check that.
OP
Post the Brand/Model of that LP Gen you are picking up
Liquid/Vapor would require different set ups
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OP
Post the Brand/Model of that LP Gen you are picking up
Liquid/Vapor would require different set ups
Thank you, it's vapor. Cummins/Onan QG 5500 HGJAB 119
Old 03-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #8

Why did I switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I'm not up on the pro and cons of gas versus propane, curious, what made you switch to propane.
I got an amazing deal compared to gasoline. It burns cleaner and same fuel burn per hour.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjboltfan View Post
I got an amazing deal compared to gasoline. It burns cleaner and same fuel burn per hour.

I would never choose to run my genny off of my small propane tank when it could run off my 80 gallon gasoline tank. Good deal or not. Good luck to you.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'd read the installation manual that came with it and/or download the one from Onan web site. It will tell you the propane input requirement, but chances are it's standard 10" water col. propane vapor input that a 2 stage high flow propane regulator delivers.

I see it's a big 5,500 watt one that can run both AC at the same time, and the specs say it uses over a gallon of propane per hour under full load. That's over double the amount of propane per hour everything else in the camper including the furnace on and running would use.

You'll have to find a VERY high flow propane regulator to supply it, it's propane demand under full load is similar to a 90,000 BTU Furnace !

So, if I were installing it I'd definitely use the proper size high flow 2 stage propane regulator off the high vapor pressure side of the current propane system and a separate propane line from the regulator to the generator. The install guide will also have something to say about how big the vapor line from the regulator to the Onan needs to be, I won't be surprised if it does not require 3/4".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
You do realize that you will not get the same power output from LP as you would with a gasoline generator....right?

Running on LP will reduce the available power output from the generator by several hundred watts.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #12

My Onan 6500 LP gen runs on liquid propane; gassing occurs in the line at the regulator on the gen, and it takes fuel from the bottom of the big tank. I believe it could have been set up for gas or liquid. The techs at Cummins Ocala told me the liquid versions run better.

I use it to run the house a/c while traveling since the dash a/c is woefully inadequate.

However, if I was boondocking, I'd make sure to be where a/c isn't required and then I'd probably just use a little Honda or Yamaha instead of running the big propane-guzzling beast.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I would never choose to run my genny off of my small propane tank when it could run off my 80 gallon gasoline tank. Good deal or not. Good luck to you.
well thank you for sharing your opinion. You are amazingly encouraging, but I’m sure you’ve been told that before now.
The fuel costs 1/2 as much. It burns WAY cleaner & doesn’t smoke you out when wind blows the fumes towards the seating area.
The oil stays cleaner.
I have never been out where I was even close to using up my propane tank, but I HAVE been out where my gasoline tank was on the lower side.
But thanks again for your opinion.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:39 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
well thank you for sharing your opinion. You are amazingly encouraging, but I’m sure you’ve been told that before now.
The fuel costs 1/2 as much. It burns WAY cleaner & doesn’t smoke you out when wind blows the fumes towards the seating area.
The oil stays cleaner.
I have never been out where I was even close to using up my propane tank, but I HAVE been out where my gasoline tank was on the lower side.
But thanks again for your opinion.
Well you know you posted in the right place for OPINIONS and you are going to get them, good or bad. But that is exactly what they are, OPINIONS.
Now here is mine. I would install a dedicated Propane tank or install a larger one.
Hopefully you are good with working on things because the propane gensets had a tendency to clog up the carburetor due to the vapor to liquid conversion. That may have changed which would be a good thing.

Also you must not camp much during the cooler months and use heat if you don't use a lot of propane.
Around here propane cost $3 gallon witch is higher than gas.

Tags
ace, gas, generator, replace, replacement