Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Generator shutdown.

Tonight while dry camping with both roof ac running, our Onan QD 8000 shutdown without warning. It will shut and run for a few minutes, but as soon as it starts making power, it shuts down. The fault code says Inverter Undervoltage Fault. Has anyone experienced this condition?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Should say it will start and run, etc.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #3

see page 25

https://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/...s/981-0161.pdf
Old 07-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The fault code is pretty much self-explanatory. The inverter (there are two in an Onan 8000) that produces the 120v AC power from the generated DC power isn't producing the right voltage. Since your genset is already running (fault does not occur when cranking), odds are the inverter has failed.

Check your starting battery (the genset probably starts via the chassis battery) to be sure, but it's probably not the issue. You can start the coach engine so that the engine alternator is supplying 12v and see if that have any effect on the genset problem, but I'm guessing it will not.

IOn addition to what is in the 8000 Op manual, the service manual offers these instructions for fault 13:
Quote:
2. Remove the front and top housing panels (p. 6-4).
A. If loose, reconnect the leads of current transformer (p. 19-2, 19-4) to controller leads J9 and J10.
If that does not work, check resistance. If electrical resistance is not 15 to 25 ohms, replace the
current transformer.
B. Check for proper connections between the generator (PMA) and the controller assembly and
reconnect as necessary (p. 10-2, 11-1, 19-4).
C. Check for a shorted generator winding (p. 11-1). If a winding is shorted, replace the generator.
3. Replace the controller assembly (p. 10-2).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a different model generator but did recently have the same symptom of genset was running under load and then shutdown, then repeatedly starts immediately but fails to continue to run.

I had fault code 32. solution? Number 3 above. Replace the controller assembly. cost about $400.
Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #6

Today when hooking to shore power, the breaker on the pedestal tripped as soon as it was flipped on. I took the cover off of the transfer switch and found three wires on the genet side melted, and shorted out. Is that a cause of my problem or a symptom? Tomorrow I will get new wires made and try the genset again.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhein View Post
I took the cover off of the transfer switch and found three wires on the genet side melted, and shorted out. Is that a cause of my problem or a symptom?
If the generator wires are shorted together, it could be a cause of your problem. The short would put a heavy load on the generator, which would cause the output voltage to be low. I would think that would trip the circuit breaker on the generator output, but I suppose it's possible for the controller to recognize the low voltage and shut down before the circuit breaker has a chance to trip?

Either way, you need to fix that problem first before worrying about other issues. You also need to figure out why those wires overheated and melted. Is the molten insulation right next to the connection point? A loose connection can generate heat and melt insulation. Or maybe the circuit breakers on the generator aren't working properly and they allowed you to overload the wiring?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

Made new wires for the burnt ones. Tightened all connections fired up the generator, and everything worked as it should. The old wires had sketchy lugs on them. The new ones went in the clamp without terminals. With a full load the new wires didn't heat up significantly after most of an hour. Our adventure continues.

Tags
generator