Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 07:16 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Generator stops when engine running

I have a 2004 HR Endeavor 40ft. The generator will not stay running when the Motorhome is started and running.Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Del007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #2

Possibly creating a slight vacuum in the fuel system. Try it with the fuel tank cap off. Change the gen fuel filter and check the tank breather hose if it cures it.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.Will try running with cap removed.Fuel filter was replaced last year when I bought it.Not sure how to find breather hose?
Old 06-20-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
YC1

Have you run the generator much since servicing it?

Check your fuel connections. I found a loose hose clamp on my brand new 2008 Endeavor right on top of the fuel tank. That caused all kinds of headaches.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #5

The Generator will run just fine until you start the motor,then the generator stops.It will just not stay running when the engine is running
Old 06-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
YC1

Hmm, sounds like it is losing the battery voltage????

Need to get a voltmeter on the terminals that feed the generator.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del007 View Post
The Generator will run just fine until you start the motor,then the generator stops.It will just not stay running when the engine is running
Ok I went hunting for you and found this topic discussed in length in the past. I copied the different comments that pertains to your coach:

• It is true for some configurations of Onan gensets and inverters that genset will shut down upon starting the engine. Simple work around---with diesel engine running, start Onan and immediately turn off charger function on inverter--problem solved!!!!!!! Seems Onan doesn't like multiple 12v charge sources.....at least with the 7500QD…..Right in the Onan hand book.

• Once the gen. senses a voltage change when you start cranking, it WILL SHUT DOWN. I noticed you have a H/R and that is in the same family as a Monaco which I have. I think the others who are posting all have other makes. Trust me, when mine first did it to me it was not a good feeling. Went to the hand book and there it was in black and white.

• Start diesel first, then start Onan, as soon as genset trips transfer switch, turn off charger function on inverter. IF you turn off charger too soon, auto charge function on most inverter/chargers will turn charger on when x-fer switch kicks over to genset......

• I think a weak chassis battery could do that too though. In most coaches the genset depends on the chassis battery for 12v power (e.g. the genset fuel pump) and battery voltage takes a dive when cranking the engine.

• Mine will shut down on engine start. 500ISM 12.5 Onan
2000 Monaco Signature Classic FD/SO 42'

Hope these previous answers solves your problem.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del007 View Post
I have a 2004 HR Endeavor 40ft. The generator will not stay running when the Motorhome is started and running.Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Just so you know where to look. On your coach, your fuel filler door on the driver and passenger side, is located on a panel just in front of the bay doors. That panel looks fixed, but if you look at the top edge, there is a hinge. At the bottom of the panel are two aluminum tabs that go under the coach and each have a screw in them. Remove the screws and the panel will lift open....use broom handle to support. On the driver's side, you'll see a round plate with several hoses. That's your fuel pick up for the coach and generator. There are also adjustable screws on that plate, which is actually a Centroid sending unit. You can adjust your fuel gauge with those screws.

Check your hoses at the sending unit. I removed the screws and installed latches so I could open those panels easily. On the passenger side is a large open cavity where I stored things I rarely used. If I recall, I use to be able to get a blue sewer tote in there.

CENTROID PRODUCTS - Electronic Fuel and Water Senders
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:01 AM   #9
YC1

Based on Mr.tommy's post try pushing the emergency start button while starting the RV.

Holding the button down to combine the banks will hold the voltage up a bit more and if the symptoms improve it could indicate some aging chassis batteries not holding up well under severe load.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:19 AM   #10

Thanks for the input.I will try turning of the charger after starting.I charged all batteries yesterday,then started the generator and let run for a couple minutes.I then started the engine to see how long generator would stay running.It ran for about 5 minutes before shutting down.I turned off the engine,When I tried to restart the generator with the fuel cap removed I could not get it to start.It sounded like it was trying to start but would it almost sounded like it wasn't getting enough fuel
Old 06-21-2021, 06:20 AM   #11

Will try and get it to start today to try some of the suggestions
Old 06-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have a BIRD battery isolation relay installed?? Try removing the lead going to the relay and tape it off. If the problem disappears. Install or fix the gen wire to the generator that turns on 12v when the gen is running and opens the relay.

The diesel bird model will have a male spade terminal called gen or generator. When the gen it running 12v from the gen turns off the bird. Some diesel alternators get confused with the 12V converter charging the house batteries from the generator, and the bird relay closed are charging the chassis batteries. The engine alternator will be confused will swing on and off on the gauge from like 14v to 11v when there is another charging source.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #13
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Do you have a BIRD battery isolation relay installed?? Try removing the lead going to the relay and tape it off. If the problem disappears. Install or fix the gen wire to the generator that turns on 12v when the gen is running and opens the relay.

The diesel bird model will have a male spade terminal called gen or generator. When the gen it running 12v from the gen turns off the bird. Some diesel alternators get confused with the 12V converter charging the house batteries from the generator, and the bird relay closed are charging the chassis batteries. The engine alternator will be confused will swing on and off on the gauge from like 14v to 11v when there is another charging source.
If you missed it he is saying IF you are connected to shoreline the two competing charging system could cause issues. I have not heard this one but all things are possible.

If there is a separate charger connected as well to keep the engine batteries up it could put out a lot of unfiltered trash and perhaps confuse the frequency monitoring of the generator.

Not sure this would prevent it from restarting.

I would be pushing the down button for several second (priming), when it dies. If it fires right back up you likely are starving it.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, I'm saying the confusion is when the converter is charging and the ignition switch is on. This will be when the generator is running or you are connected to shore power.

Bird had enough issues with the diesel alternator charging confusion when the generator is running. The BIRD engineers spent the time designing diesel bird, which has generator conector to turn off the bird when the generator is running and the ignition switch is on.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, generator, holiday rambler