Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2023, 08:23 PM   #1

Generator trying to start itself ?

Hi all-
I’ve got a 2009 Fleetwood Bounder35h with an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 generator that is connected to 50A shore power.
Tonight I started hearing a loud click every 10 seconds or so. A quick search led me to the generator, which is somehow trying to start itself, and the click was the starter solenoid. The light on the switch dimly lights when it happens, as does the light on the switch on the dashboard. I disconnected the battery cable at the generator, but I can’t figure out where the problem is. It’s been raining here for the last few days, but I can’t see any leaks where something could’ve gotten wet.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks!
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2023, 08:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Hi all-
I’ve got a 2009 Fleetwood Bounder35h .......
I am not sure how your MH is wired and I have never tried to start my generator when connected to the grid because that would be a really bad thing.

I think the automatic transfer switch prevents the bad thing. I would also think the Onan control logic would prevent it too.

It sounds to me like a bad switch or a short is attempting to energize the start solenoid and the Onan control logic prevents it with a time delay.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I am not sure how your MH is wired and I have never tried to start my generator when connected to the grid because that would be a really bad thing.

I think the automatic transfer switch prevents the bad thing. I would also think the Onan control logic would prevent it too.

It sounds to me like a bad switch or a short is attempting to energize the start solenoid and the Onan control logic prevents it with a time delay.
I’m only guessing here and someone else will likely have a better answer.

What would it do if you disconnected shore power. As stated above, i believe it may be something in your transfer switch that is sending a false signal or if you have an automatic start system, perhaps a short there. You may want to leave cable removed for a few days and see what happens when all dries out.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:16 PM   #4

Do you have AGS "auto generator start" if not many owners have had issues with plug out of genny harness for remote switches. It's about 18-24" of of genny. Disconnect and clean with electrical cleaner and back sides of plugs on the the wire sides.
EDIT....There's another post about genny starting on it own that was this page. But he has AGS. so could be AGS as well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Hi all-
I’ve got a 2009 Fleetwood Bounder35h with an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 generator that is connected to 50A shore power.
Tonight I started hearing a loud click every 10 seconds or so. A quick search led me to the generator, which is somehow trying to start itself, and the click was the starter solenoid. The light on the switch dimly lights when it happens, as does the light on the switch on the dashboard. I disconnected the battery cable at the generator, but I can’t figure out where the problem is. It’s been raining here for the last few days, but I can’t see any leaks where something could’ve gotten wet.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks!
Contact Onan and have all information about your generator. Tell their service tech people what’s happening. I have a similar issue when plugged into shore power at home. I suspect that a utility company power glitch is causing this. The first thing the generator does when you try to start it is to energize the glow plugs and pump fuel to the generator. I have to go into the coach and press the rocker switch to OFF and then it doesn’t do it again; until it does, AGAIN. I’ve cleaned starter switches a lot but it’s probably my an expensive circuit board! You could isolate the start circuit electrical power line with a marine type battery cutoff switch until you really want to start it. If you do this make sure you wire it correctly so that your batteries are still able to charge when plugged in wherever you store you unit.
Thomm85n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post

You really don’t want 2 power sources connected and coming TO your coach! If ANYTHING is not correct and you have 2 electric sources coming IN, you will have a HEAD ON TRAIN WRECK instantly and at worst ruin your wiring and possibly cause a West Virginia BONFIRE! Sorry W VA rv’ers!
Thomm85n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomm85n View Post
You really don’t want 2 power sources connected and coming TO your coach! If ANYTHING is not correct and you have 2 electric sources coming IN, you will have a HEAD ON TRAIN WRECK instantly and at worst ruin your wiring and possibly cause a West Virginia BONFIRE! Sorry W VA rv’ers!
The ATS will take care of two input power sources... generally the genset gets preference when both sides are connected.

To the OP, try disconnecting your remote start switch... they are know to go bad ( especially in moist environments) and cause the symptoms you are experiencing .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:55 AM   #8

Had it been raining recently? Some Onan owners have reported water getting in the control harness and causing false starts.

Solution is to unplug the cable, clean plug and socket with CRC contact cleaner and lubricant, dab some dielectric grease on the contacts and plug it back in. Then, reroute the wire or solve the source of the water infiltration, if possible.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:58 AM   #9

Yes it’s been raining a lot here over the last week. Coach has been parked and plugged into shore power for a few months, but I didn’t have this problem until it had been raining for a few days.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Do you have AGS "auto generator start" if not many owners have had issues with plug out of genny harness for remote switches. It's about 18-24" of of genny. Disconnect and clean with electrical cleaner and back sides of plugs on the the wire sides.
EDIT....There's another post about genny starting on it own that was this page. But he has AGS. so could be AGS as well.
Not sure what AGS is, so I probably don’t have it. It’s just a switch on the dash and one on the genny. Thanks for the tip on the other post. I’ll try to find it
Old 01-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
AGS is Automatic Generator Start. This function is usually provided through some sort of battery monitoring system and/or the inverter. It can be set up to charge the batteries when they get low, it will start the generator and it will run until the batteries reach a set % of charge.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:06 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your motorhome is equipped with an automatic switch that switches to either the generator or shore power. I think it is not possible for both to be connected at the same time. If the switch is not working it will default to one of the 2 sources.

While I think the above statement is true, I disconnect from shore power before starting my generator just to be sure!

That probably has nothing to do with you generator trying to start randomly.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomm85n View Post
And if you are on a ship with missiles, artillery shells, and a nuclear reactor; it could be a spectacular bonfire.

All generators on the grid are electrically in phase. In the navy, we would manually parallel to shore power. We would get our generator close and 'bump' it in.

On one occasion, it got banged in. I was on the other side of the ship but knew what happened. Stuff got damaged.

So what happens if control wiring is ruined by fire or water? Can you put the fire out with water? I know a guy! Ruben was on the golf course when he was asked.

He is my question, what do you do if you break glow bracelet on the keyboard of a cromebook? So my granddaughter is doing her home work for kindergarten on the cromebook I got her for Christmas. She bring me a bracelet and wants me to fix it.

My assumption is that children toys are not toxic. It is leaking something so I have wrap it in a paper towel and wash her hands. Son and DIL get home and I ask where they got it. Turns that it leaked on the keyboard.

Google and read the MSDS, Eye and skin irritant. So the next thing we do clean the keyboard and more hand washing.

My son is an expert with children doing things to tech stuff. His work children are the local TV news crew.

If the cromebook does not catch fire, all is good!

I am not saying I expect this wiring problem on a MH to cause a fire but it is something to think about.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
AGS is Automatic Generator Start. This function is usually provided through some sort of battery monitoring system and/or the inverter. It can be set up to charge the batteries when they get low, it will start the generator and it will run until the batteries reach a set % of charge.
Ahh.. Got it. That sounds like a handy little gadget. My genny charges the batteries, but sadly, I have to start the generator myself to do it, so no, I don’t have AGS

Tags
generator