RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Generator Will Not Run While Driving

I have a Onan QG7000 gas generator model 7HGJAB-900L in the MH with only one problem. It will not run while we are driving.
It will run for hours just sitting still, and will run for only a short time while driving (anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes).
The oil is clean, the proper level and proper type and I never get below a half tank of gas in the MH. It has always done this; but now I live in Texas and it is hot, so I would like to drive with the house AC's running.
It only has 120 hours on it and the oil and filter has been changed twice, the fuel filter and air filter changed once.
It runs fine sitting still, but shuts off when driving, no matter the road condition; slow and smooth, level, mountainous, etc.
I have followed some other posts on generator problems but haven't seen one for my issue. Some posts suggest a possible fuel pump problem. Does anyone know where the fuel pump is on this model? I may can change it myself. I'm sorry I do not remember what codes it has given; I checked in the past but they were generic and of no real help.
Has anyone encountered this issue before?
Thanks for any suggestions,
wog099 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Will it restart while you are driving?

If it will, you probably have a bad connection somewhere.

Try wiggling and shaking all the wires you can with it running sitting still.

Also, have a look at the switches, there may be a bad connection there as well.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
I have a Onan QG7000 gas generator model 7HGJAB-900L in the MH with only one problem. It will not run while we are driving.
It will run for hours just sitting still, and will run for only a short time while driving (anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes).
The oil is clean, the proper level and proper type and I never get below a half tank of gas in the MH. It has always done this; but now I live in Texas and it is hot, so I would like to drive with the house AC's running.
It only has 120 hours on it and the oil and filter has been changed twice, the fuel filter and air filter changed once.
It runs fine sitting still, but shuts off when driving, no matter the road condition; slow and smooth, level, mountainous, etc.
I have followed some other posts on generator problems but haven't seen one for my issue. Some posts suggest a possible fuel pump problem. Does anyone know where the fuel pump is on this model? I may can change it myself. I'm sorry I do not remember what codes it has given; I checked in the past but they were generic and of no real help.
Has anyone encountered this issue before?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Just a thought. What safety option is set in your Command 30 control, assuming that is what controls your generator? Mine is set for ignition if I recall correctly. Getting into the program is a bit tricky. You need the users manual. Does your Auto Start function work?
If my generator is running and I operate the ignition key to ACC or Run the generator stops. I have to restart it manually. I have not had to dive with it running so I don't know if the Auto Start feature works at that time. Why one would want it is a good question.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:53 AM   #4

...its an old issue which may not apply to your newer coach but Onan gensets and some brands of inverter don't like "seeing" multiple 12v sources, especially when Onan is at idle loads.....try disengaging the inverter charge function when you start the RV engine--so only the engine alternator is producing 12v....Many inverters have a "hot-charge" option that resets the charger every time a 120v sources is detected--so you will have to run genset first, start ACs, disengage charger function, then start your RV engine...try it--good luck....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. I haven't found any loose electrical connections but haven't followed all the wires everywhere and have not checked the switches yet. Someone in a message that did not post to this thread suggested I check the fuel pump, and I did find it. Mine is actually fairly easy to get to and the filter screws in one end of it. I have changed the filter, but not the pump.
I have attached a picture of the fuel pump that shows the label half way off and two holes exposed that did have some type black caulking in them. Could this indicate a problem, or does the gook in the holes just hold the label on?
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	297667  
Old 08-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

…."goose-chase" alert....why does your genset run fine while stationary but not while driving?.....most of the "suggestions" offered, don't account for why/when it does and doesn't run. Think some common sense will guide you elsewhere on this one......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #7

Fuel vaccum?

We had this problem with our 2010 Daybreak on a Ford Chassis. The problem was the fuel tank was not properly venting and a vacuum would build up in the system that was more than the generator fuel pump could overcome.

When you stop to get gas, is there a whoosh of air when you open the gas cap, or does the tank blurp over when filling?
Old 08-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
."goose-chase" alert....why does your genset run fine while stationary but not while driving?.....most of the "suggestions" offered, don't account for why/when it does and doesn't run. Think some common sense will guide you elsewhere on this one......
I don't understand where you're trying to guide me on this one. Common sense tells me the only factor that changes is "movement of the coach", but I don't have enough mechanical knowledge to know what that is causing. I have seen other generator posts talk about gas sloshing above the intake tube, oil sloshing because it has too little, too much or wrong viscosity; or vacuum pressure in the gas tank, or the carburetor float stuck, etc. BTW I do not have pressure in the gas tank when I take the gas cap off and have no problem filling up.
Can you give me a hint where common sense should guide me?
Thanks,
Old 08-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #9

I think it may be oil level related. Try adding a small amount of oil and see how it works.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #10

This is the first mention of gas tank venting in relation to a genny not running while driving, so following this thread since we have an Onan 4000 Microlite that does the same thing. We added an auxiliary fuel pump, at the suggestion of an Onan tech, but no change.

grantmnc, what did you do to solve your gas tank venting problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmnc View Post
We had this problem with our 2010 Daybreak on a Ford Chassis. The problem was the fuel tank was not properly venting and a vacuum would build up in the system that was more than the generator fuel pump could overcome.

When you stop to get gas, is there a whoosh of air when you open the gas cap, or does the tank blurp over when filling?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #11

Had the same problem

Hope this help, had the same problem twice last year, had the garage change oil on genset and they topped off to max limit, when the coach is not running the radiator fluid is cold so the oil dosent take that much off expansion , as soon as i i would do as little as 5 miniutes of road it would sputter then die, check oil and was way to high , removed to the half way point and the problem was over, until the garage changed again my genset oil and did the same thing again, so removed some oil again and. Stopped again the problem , hope this works for you good luck
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
This is the first mention of gas tank venting in relation to a genny not running while driving, so following this thread since we have an Onan 4000 Microlite that does the same thing. We added an auxiliary fuel pump, at the suggestion of an Onan tech, but no change.

grantmnc, what did you do to solve your gas tank venting problem?

IIRC, our Ford was vented at the tank and therefore we needed the vent replaced. I assume gas RV's don't use vented caps, but if yours does,it might be as simple as swapping the fuel cap. I actually ran a test where I bought a new fuel cap and drilled a 1/32" hole in to see if that helped... and it did. That's when I new it was the fuel tank vent.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
From the OP:
I did talk with a tech at Onan who directed me to a service center near me that I didn't know about, but real convenient. I have an appointment there Sep 08, so shortly after hope to be able to tell everyone what they find.
I appreciate all the responses, and the Onan tech suggested some of your ideas as the possible culprit.
Thanks,
Old 08-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
What is the viscosity of your generator oil? You said you live in Texas now, implying that you lived somewhere else before and generator dying while driving wasn't an issue? If this is a new development that has happened just because you've moved to a warmer climate, I would look at the fuel pump and oil viscosity first! I'm in Phoenix where we've broken records for days over 110, and my 20 year old 5500 watt Onan hasn't missed a beat running while driving. Your 7500 should just be loafing along running 2 A/C units.
Our first RV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator