Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #1

Generator will not start

Story for you guys. I left the coach on without being plugged in for a few weeks. This killed the batteries. I jumped the coach and got it stated and charged all the batteries. The generator will not start along with the set of walkie talkies . There is no current going to the generator. I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey. I probably will try jumping the gen set tomorrow! Any answers ?? The fuse for the walkie talkies is good , all breakers are good, with no codes on the gen set.
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #2

The gen. starts off the house batteries. Do you have lights and water pump working ?

Maybe they are dead and not charging from the engine alternator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What make model of generator do you have?
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Generator will not start

The house batteries are charged now. Lights , water pump etc run !That's an Onan diesel 7 kW . I have plenty of fuel.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshedman View Post
Story for you guys. I left the coach on without being plugged in for a few weeks. This killed the batteries. I jumped the coach and got it stated and charged all the batteries. The generator will not start along with the set of walkie talkies . There is no current going to the generator. I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey. I probably will try jumping the gen set tomorrow! Any answers ?? The fuse for the walkie talkies is good , all breakers are good, with no codes on the gen set.
Have you measured the voltage on the house batteries, I know you said "charged all batteries" but did you?

When you say the "Gen won't start" - and there is no current going to the generator - this would imply no voltage there either - but how did you measure the current? Just curious.

Need to check all connections and switches and take voltage measurements to isolate the problem area. Is your Batt disconnect switch or "salesman switch" controlled relay in the open position?

So many possibilities but it would appear that your problem is no voltage getting to the Gen. Or perhaps/likely to other areas on the coach.

Good luck
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The generator may start off the chassis batteries instead of house (mine does). Try the Boost (Emergency Start) switch and see if that helps.

Where are you checking the "current going to the generator"? The start switch engages a solenoid, which then connects the genset starter to the battery source. If you measure on the genset side of that solenoid and found zero (with the switch engaged), then the problem is the solenoid or starter switch. Of course, without someone to push the start switch, there would be no power anywhere past that solenoid.

You probably have at least two start switches, a remote plus one on the genset. Does either one work?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Diesel or Gas or Propane?

Won't Start?

Starts but will not Run?

Engine starts, runs, but shuts down?

The owners manual usually has trouble shooting steps in chart form. If you do not have one you can get one for your rig online.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #8

Diesel, will not start. Also no disk player or walkie talkies. Everything else runs on coach!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshedman View Post
Diesel, will not start. Also no disk player or walkie talkies. Everything else runs on coach!
As I understand your situation. You do not have 12V present at the generator starter when you push the start button. Is this correct?

You also do not have a 12v supply to your disk player and Walkie Talkies. But every other 12V system is working in the coach. Is this correct?

(The latter re disc playet etc may be coincidental and not related to the Gen Start - don't know at this stage)

What happened when you selected the emergency start button and tried to start the Gen as suggested in another post?

You need to isolate the problem and start taking voltage measurements at various places.

Go to the generator and push the start button right on the gen. If no relay noise is heard start checking voltage going back from the starter and relay circuit.

(Check all connections of course and every switch, breaker/fuse and relay associated with the start circuit)

You will find coach schematics extremely helpful - for this and so many other troubleshooting scenarios. Suggest you get schematics if you do not have. Winnebago have good schematics that can be downloaded. Or draw your own if you can trace the wires. Should not be difficult to do for a Gen Start circuit and check voltages as you go to each point in the circuit.

Good luck - hope this helps but you
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When you push the start switch do you get the priming pump/clicking sound or does the Gen turn over and not start? Do you have the intermittent switch to turn of or on house batteries or the manual switch? Sounds like there is also a 120 volt problem from things that don't work, for these see the breakers on the inverted/converter.

LEN
Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #11

My gen would not start until a Tech told me to switch the house batteries on, and away it went.
Douginbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #12

There is no priming or anything going to the generator. I am going to look up the diagram from the switch today !
Old 09-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

Dumb me, I started reading the user manual and found there is a 15 amp fuse inside the access panel on top of the generator! It's was bad, replaced it all is good !
Thank you!
Old 09-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Thank you for posting the resolution.

Your post will likely be of help to someone else.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator