Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Generator will not stay on.

I am a newbie. I have a 2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager. We ate learning aboutthe operation of this rv. My generator will not stay on. I have full tank of gas.
Jagnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club

There are many reasons that the generator won't stay running. Does the unit stay on if you hold the start switch in?

Learn as much as you can about your batteries and the 12 volt side of things.

We can help you find the manual for your genset if you give the make/model. ( ex. Onan, 4ky)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generator Problem

The only time I ever had a similar problem with a generator was due to the fact that I let it sit for over 6 months without running it. The gas went bad, clogged up the carb. and if it did start would chug and choke out. After trying some carb cleaner with no luck, I ended up taking in to a shop for repair. Since then I start my generator every month, turn on enough stuff to put a load on it and let it run for 20 - 30 minutes.
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #4

I had to replace my fuel pump
$25 and simple hand tools.
If you are going to RV, then you will have to be able to fix the small stuff.
If you put it in the shop for everything , it will be in the shop more than on the road
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagnana View Post
I am a newbie. I have a 2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager. We ate learning aboutthe operation of this rv. My generator will not stay on. I have full tank of gas.
I used to tell my customers, The repair will be just as good as the write up. You give terrible troubleshooting information. What brand generator? Does it run two seconds or two minutes? Will it restart right away? If you hold the start button in, will it continue to run as long as you hold the start button in.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
My learning experience with being new and letting it sit to long probably no more than 2 months with a similar problem. It would start run for a couple of minutes then die, re start and die again. I put in a T connector before the fuel pump with a shut off valve. ran a line from the T to a temporary gallon auxiliary tank with sea foam carb cleaner. kept doing the start stop for awhile, then let it sit overnight, restart and luckily it kept running. turned on both AC and let the sea foam and fuel mixture run out.
I now make sure if i'm not using it for a month it gets started up No problems since.
And yes my wife has mentioned what do people do who aren't as handy as i am. I replied dig deep in your pockets..... often
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
My learning experience with being new and letting it sit to long probably no more than 2 months with a similar problem. It would start run for a couple of minutes then die, re start and die again. I put in a T connector before the fuel pump with a shut off valve. ran a line from the T to a temporary gallon auxiliary tank with sea foam carb cleaner. kept doing the start stop for awhile, then let it sit overnight, restart and luckily it kept running. turned on both AC and let the sea foam and fuel mixture run out.
I now make sure if i'm not using it for a month it gets started up No problems since.
And yes my wife has mentioned what do people do who aren't as handy as i am. I replied dig deep in your pockets..... often
Excellent Advise. Onans are notorious for this if not run regularly. If the sea foam don't work, you are out of luck. most Onan carbs can not be overhauled. They are what are called throw away carbs. $213 for one I had to buy. We tried everything including squirting carb cleaner in any orface on the carb. Finally broke down and bought a new carb.
Mel_B

Tags
generator