Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

Generator will not turn over

My Onan gen set will not turn over. When I trip the switch inside the coach or the switch at the generator all I hear is a clicking sound. The coach batteries indicate full charge and all the other DC systems in the coach appears to work fine. I ran the unit for 30 minutes 2 weeks ago with no problems. At that time I started the generator while I was plugged into a cord from my house. Again I assume that there is a switch of some sort that senses that the generator is running and switches to the generator as the primary source of power.

Are there some fuses somewhere that may have blown? I read in the manual that there are 3 fuses under the access plate at the unit that protect the control circuits.

I am assuming that the house batteries are the ones that supply the necessary 12 volts to the unit.

I know that I am assuming a lot, but any suggestions as to where to look would help.

Thanks

Dick

Generator is an 8000 W Onan in 2007 Country Coach
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #2

Would I be correct in saying you have the 8K HDKAK Quiet Diesel Generator? If so, have you turned to the Troubleshooting Section of the manual (page 22) to check for a Fault Code?

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

Had a similar senario.Check the positive and negative cables at the gen and the house batteries.Most likely the back side of the gen for the neg connection.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Would I be correct in saying you have the 8K HDKAK Quiet Diesel Generator? If so, have you turned to the Troubleshooting Section of the manual (page 22) to check for a Fault Code?

Dave
Yes, that's the right unit. I read page 22 but at first could not find where to check for the code. After reading your post I went back and re-read the instructions and after reading again I figured it out. The code was 32. I opened the access plate and checked all fuses everything was OK. I then checked the battery connections at the gen-set and found a very loose ground. Problem solved

Thanks
Dick
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #5

Great!

Happy Holidays!

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, this thread is a great example of the form and function of IRV2!!!
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
Wow, this thread is a great example of the form and function of IRV2!!!

I agree 100 %. If not for this forum, and the people on it, my wallet
would be much lighter. I should also ad Roger Burke who has the
Hydro Hot Forum. What a great guy!

Merry Christmas

Dick
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Steiny
Smile Generator fuel pump clicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
My Onan gen set will not turn over. When I trip the switch inside the coach or the switch at the generator all I hear is a clicking sound. The coach batteries indicate full charge and all the other DC systems in the coach appears to work fine. I ran the unit for 30 minutes 2 weeks ago with no problems. At that time I started the generator while I was plugged into a cord from my house. Again I assume that there is a switch of some sort that senses that the generator is running and switches to the generator as the primary source of power.

Are there some fuses somewhere that may have blown? I read in the manual that there are 3 fuses under the access plate at the unit that protect the control circuits.

I am assuming that the house batteries are the ones that supply the necessary 12 volts to the unit.

I know that I am assuming a lot, but any suggestions as to where to look would help.

Thanks

Dick

Generator is an 8000 W Onan in 2007 Country Coach

The clicking sound is the fuel pump priming the gen. You may have to prime for a minute or longer, and then the generator will turn over and fire up.
Steiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Steiny
Generator fuel pump clicks but won't turn over

The clicking is the fuel pump priming the gen. You may have to prime for a minute or longer and then the gen will turn over and fire up.
Steiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #10

I experienced the same issue for months. Sometimes it would start and sometimes not, finally traced it to the K2 relay. Once replaced, have not had an issue...
Troden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator