Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #15

Dead short is an old guy term for a dead cell. they dont explode they just kill a battery. A resting 12 volt battery should read 12.6, when charging it should be above 13. I did a quick check of every 12 volt battery in every vehicle we have and all read 12.6. (reminds me we have to many vehicles). The generator will no longer start when jumped and there are all new cables leading up to the generator. Next step is to take the covers off to access the control board and starter.
blang311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #16

OK so nothing more frustrating than not reading a solution found to a problem. After checking every battery connection and wire I got nowhere. I take it to my local truck repair place and he agrees to look at it. Apparently there is a relay between the switch and the starter that opens after the warm up process is complete. This relay was bad. Hard to get to but easy to replace and were running again!!
Old 07-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #17

It sounds you you found a good troubleshooter especially if not throwing lots of parts at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang311 View Post
OK so nothing more frustrating than not reading a solution found to a problem. After checking every battery connection and wire I got nowhere. I take it to my local truck repair place and he agrees to look at it. Apparently there is a relay between the switch and the starter that opens after the warm up process is complete. This relay was bad. Hard to get to but easy to replace and were running again!!
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
It sounds you you found a good troubleshooter especially if not throwing lots of parts at it.
It probably wasn't his first rodeo relay, either and had been there and done that a few times before. In the business, we sometimes referred to them as familiarity electricians. Some of them were really good theoretically as well. Others couldn't even read a print.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #19

AND What's the saying better to be lucky than good. Sometimes my troubleshooting guardian angle will whisper in my ear a remote possibility that would be way down the list of things to test. I try to listen she/he can be uncanny.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #20

Yea the crazy thing is that relay isnt mentioned anywhere. He said it is a bugger to get to.

Tags
generator