Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #1

Generator wonít turn over

So my generator decided not to turn over on a recent trip. The generator makes the clicking sound as the fuel pump is activated but will not turn over. Fault code is 32. Started changing battery cables and cleaning terminal ends. And still nothing. Jumpstarted the generator off of my car and it fired right up. The batteries all show fully charged and are six volt blooded batteries. The batteries also fully charged on the volt meter as does the cable going into the generator shows 12 volt. Iím guessing that the batteries may be bad but they seem to be doing fine for everything else. All stay charged reasonably well when off grid. Any help would be appreciated. 2011 entegra aspire, DP. Batteries are 4 year old Continentals
blang311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #2

That generator may start from chassis batteries. Did you check the connections on them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #3

Have you tried to use your aux start? You can hold in aux start and then push gen start and see if fires up.. twinboat.. has been around a long time and way more experience than me.. so check his lead. Good luck and let us know what you did..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
If it started with a jump from your car, and the batteries (House and chassis) are good, you have a bad connection.

Take all the cables off, clean and re-install. Don't forget the ground cables.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #5

Did you clean the ground connections . There should be a short cable from the generator to the frame that could be the problem.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #6

The ground on mine is actually really long so I replaced it and the power cable to the generator. The generator is powered by the house batteries, and I have removed and cleaned all of the battery cables. I am thinking a dead short in the batteries possibly? But I donít know anything at this point.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang311 View Post
The ground on mine is actually really long so I replaced it and the power cable to the generator. The generator is powered by the house batteries, and I have removed and cleaned all of the battery cables. I am thinking a dead short in the batteries possibly? But I donít know anything at this point.
Take your volt meter and watch the battery voltage as someone tries to start the generator. The voltage shouldn't drop much just turning it over.

If the voltage drops way down, bad batteries.

If voltage doesn't drop, bad connection or cable.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:11 AM   #8

That is exactly what I thought. There is no voltage change at all so it must be a connection, right? I will keep looking.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #9

Battery cables will corrode internally. Look at them for swollen or lumpy areas in the covering. The corrosion will also make them stiff in that area. That usually happens near an end or if the covering was damaged and had to be repaired.

When you jumped it did you do it at the batteries or generator? Have you tried to start it with the emergency start? If your cables and grounds are all good it's a little harder to find the problem, if you can eliminate certain cables it will be easier.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post

When you jumped it did you do it at the batteries or generator?.

This is the key. Wherever you attached your jumpers, you bypassed the failed connection or component. Did you by chance jump directly to the starter motor on the generator? If so, you also bypassed a solenoid that might be the culprit.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
So my generator decided not to turn over on a recent trip. The generator makes the clicking sound as the fuel pump is activated but will not turn over. Fault code is 32. Started changing battery cables and cleaning terminal ends. And still nothing. Jumpstarted the generator off of my car and it fired right up. The batteries all show fully charged and are six volt blooded batteries. The batteries also fully charged on the volt meter as does the cable going into the generator shows 12 volt. Iím guessing that the batteries may be bad but they seem to be doing fine for everything else. All stay charged reasonably well when off grid. Any help would be appreciated. 2011 entegra aspire, DP. Batteries are 4 year old Continentals

If it shows only 12 bolts then they either arenít charged or are bad. Fully charged should be 12.6-12.7. My generator starts getting a bit crabby around 12.2 and almost certainly wonít start below 12.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:45 AM   #12

So I tried yesterday to jump start it so we could head for home and it would not turn over. I have replaced the main two cables at the generator. I have removed and wire brushed every connection I can find. The batteries actually are at 13.4 volts. The battery boost button has no effect. I am now suspecting a loose wire inside the generator possibly.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #13

Measure the voltage at the starter and try to crank it over. If you have battery voltage there , it is possible your starter is not working.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #14

a 'dead short' would cause an explosive discharge and possible fire, remember them sony laptops ?

'short' is NOT what you mean, an 'open' possibly, a short would mean huge current flow across the internal parts of battery TO GROUND - very bad.

words do matter [ moderator edit]

a fully charged '12v' battery should be close to 14volts, 12v would actually indicate an issue of some sort.

so if you can jump start from another battery then it is obviously a bad connection, either + or neg can cause issues, jumping it you provide both.

GL !

Quote:
The ground on mine is actually really long so I replaced it and the power cable to the generator. The generator is powered by the house batteries, and I have removed and cleaned all of the battery cables. I am thinking a dead short in the batteries possibly? But I don’t know anything at this point.

Tags
generator