Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Generator wont start

i have an onan 6500 generator. only gets started a few times a year. it cranks fine, but usually wont start unless i push up on the choke lever/governor spring, then it starts up. i ran it today for 30 minutes, shut it off, then tried to remote start it from inside my rv. it cranked, but still wouldnt start properly. its on a 2003 gulfstream sun voyager. changed the oil and filter 2 years ago. unit looks brand new. what else can i try other than having to go outside and open the panel and push on the lever to get it to start?
DblDuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the carburetor is possibly gummed up and or the fuel pump is bad. You need to get those things looked at and then get it running on a load to clean the generator up. If you have access to a Cummins repair facility I would schedule an appointment and have them perform maintenance on it to ensure it is up to the task. You need to really run it under load to keep it up to par. Run it while going down the road with the house AC's on. This will do wonders for it.
Also make sure that you are above 1/4 tank of fuel or it will not run due to it's fuel line pick off being above that.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:00 AM   #3

the generator runs and works fine, its just that i have to move the gonernor/choke arm up manually to get it to start. after that it runs great, it just wont restart again w/o doing that same procedure.
DblDuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:02 AM   #4

The choke is electric controlled, it could be bad.

There is a troubleshooting guide that you can download.

Mine does the same thing but I've been just cranking it longer, until I get a chance to fix it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator