Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Getting a class A and clueless

So I'll admit it were jumping in here and unlike most my other hobbies i'm clueless here. Looks like were gonna make a deal on a 2004 Damon Challenger. I have been reading many post for a while trying to learn. I'm looking for some added info. We want to use this in the winter for our off roading trips but concerned about winterizing. What happens in cold weather if I'm using it. Can I do this? Will the pipes freeze? Do I need to not use the plumbing. Sorry if these questions are really stupid I'm just trying to figure it all out. Also I hope this location was ok to post this.
mothgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

It all depends on how your rig is set up. You might want to post this question on the Thor forum as you will probably get some answers from folks who have your exact unit

Good luck and safe travels
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

It depends. How cold is it where you are located? Do you have basement heat? If you are hooked up to water you can very lightly drip the water to the sinks so it keeps the water moving in the lines and they wont freeze. If you have basement heat you do not have much to worry about but the gas bill. But when you park it between trips you either need to keep the heat on or winterize if you live in a cold area. you don't have to worry every time it drops below freezing. It is how long it stays below freezing. Anytime it gets in the teens for a while you will freeze up if you don't winterize or leave the heat on. If it is going to be real cold where I live (doesn't happen often. Love that GA weather) I set my heat as low as it goes. I think 40 F
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Make SURE the compartments that your tanks, water pump and etc are heated!!!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The other choice is to winterize using the pink stuff in the water lines and then just using bottled water for the toilet and cooking. That way, only the gray and black tanks will be at risk (so make sure that your furnace heats them!). Of course, you can't take a shower that way.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are afraid of freezing or it is very cold, winterize the coach with pink anti-freeze and then use the cheap blue windshield washer fluid to flush with as it will not freeze. You can then use bottled water to brush your teeth, cook, ect.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're really going to using your MH in the cold, wintery months for off-road excursions, you may want to consider swapping the rear tires for traction tread type tires. "Normal" MH tires are highway tread and are almost useless when used on wet grass, mud, sand, snow, etc. (You may want to look at the date codes on all the tires, as they may need replacing anyway. You should make this part of the deal if it hasn't already been closed. Six new tires could run you up to $2,500, depending on size & manufacturer.)

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a