Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #1

Getting help "on the road" - how do you find it?

Say you're travelling with your RV and something goes wrong - mechanical failure, tire failure, etc. and you are now sitting on the side of the highway in unfamiliar territory with your 4-ways on. My question is, if you are not affiliated with a company that provides roadside assistance like Good Sam for instance, how do you know who to call for help? If you're in any part of the country that you are unfamiliar with, how do you find the resources to help you? This is the situation I worry most about and why I am considering getting a contract with one of these companies. Then you just have one number to call and they take care of finding the right help wherever you are. Am I missing something about a website or group that would provide this info and then you can call some places yourself?

Thanks for your input!

mwm
Midwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would not travel anywhere without a Roadside Assistance Plan!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would not travel anywhere without a Roadside Assistance Plan!
Hi folks! Well, that was kindof at the bottom of my question. I have read a number of forum discussions where there are definite opinions on both sides of that statement. Some are adamant that you really do need a roadside assistance package and others say that it costs far more to have one than it ever benefits you and you make out better (financially) without one. So while I am personally in the camp of getting a package, I just wondered what those folks that don't have one do when they have a breakdown I wouldn't have the foggiest idea who to call. Yes, I'm sure you can google this and find dealers, service companies, etc, but do you really want to trust the pot luck of doing it that way?

Thanks for your input!

mwm
Midwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #4

It's not just who do you call, it's how do you pay for it. Towing a motor home can be a very expensive proposition, well in excess of $1,000 at times. I would suggest you check into the various plans and pick the one that is best for you. It may be your insurance company, it may be FMCA, Good Sam or one of the other clubs. To paraphrase an old insurance company slogan, "don't leave home without it". Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #5

I have a AAA card in my wallet, and I've been a member since my dad handed me a card a couple of days after I got my drivers license... over 50 years ago.

I've been told that AAA, even with their RV add-on isn't enough for a Class A owner. I've heard good things about Coach-Net and will probably be sending some dollars their way... the quote: "Coach Net is what AAA RV service should be"

Mike
Old 02-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #6

I pay for the progressive insurance road side assistance adder
as well I pay for good sam road side assistance
its not a great deal of money

my prior research says that the service you get depends on where you are
some people have gotten great good sam RSA support & others poor

I figure if I have both that one or the other will come thru

I try to plan my travel to give me the best shot in an emergency

I don't drive at night because services will be limited and slow
During the recent severe cold period, I considered travel to a warmer location but if I broke down in an area where it was 10 degrees, getting anything fixed out on the road would be unlikely. Also probably few services available

I've heard that RV'rs follow the rule of 3 ... plan you trip to finish each days travels by 3:00. I do usually travel on a weekend which will add delay/limitations but right now there's no way around that for me.

most of all, I do excessive maintenance to try to keep my rig in a condition that minimizes risk of breakdown
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I've had CoachNet for a while now and had to use it once when I was dead in the water at a secure location. The first questions out of their mouth were - "Are you safe? Are you on the side of the road? Are you in the middle of the road? Ok, now that we know you're safe, what's your name and how can we help you?" They then arranged assistance faster than I could shower! With that type of concern and follow-up, I wouldn't be without them or something equal.
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Midwestman.....we all have to weigh the value of products and services and determine if our/your budget can afford something like a road side assistance plan. To me, the cost of $200-$300 a year for a plan, like Coachnet offers, is well worth it to me.

There will always be naysayers and there will be rare occasions where you have a difficult time finding someone who can tow your rig, but that's really not the norm.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #9

One of the mods turned me on to this website: RV Service Reviews

I haven't found roadside assistance very helpful, they don't know. Except for the Freightliner hotline, they're awesome.

Otherwise, personally I've had the most luck asking the waitress at Denny's. If she doesn't have a cousin who is a mechanic, she will know somebody who does.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I think the biggest issue with any RV road side assistance is they don’t know where to tow you.

One way or another they will find a way to tow you but the question is alway to where.

The link in an earlier post is probably one that each of us should have saved to favorites you may not need it now but someday.

I would love it if there could be such a list on irv but between the time you call for help and they show up you may be able to post and get some suggestions.

I have good Sam now one thing I like is it covers all my autos what ever I am in. I have had issues before when I am not the owner of the auto be it RV or car.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Oh BTW almost all road side assistance use third party company’s for there call center and dispatch.

For example Allstate provides the call center and dispatch for Geico in Arizona go figure.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #12

I carry AAA and Good Sam, I like having a back up.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #13
NXR

If you have a newer gasser, Ford provides their own roadside assistance plan as part of the F53 purchase. I think my 2019 F53 chassis has 5 years or 60,000 miles. It ain't much but it's better than trying to do it yourself.

Ray

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
Vehicles Sold in the United States:
Getting Roadside Assistance
To fully assist you should you have a vehicle concern, Ford Motor Company offers a complimentary roadside assistance program. This program is separate from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

The service is available:
• 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• For the coverage period listed on the Roadside Assistance Card included in your Owner's Manual portfolio.

Roadside Assistance covers:
• A flat tire change with a good spare (except vehicles supplied with a tire inflation kit).

• Battery jump start.

• Lock-out assistance (key replacement cost is the customer's responsibility).

• Fuel delivery — independent service contractors, if not prohibited by state, local or municipal law, shall deliver up to 2 gal (8 L) of gasoline or 5 gal (20 L) of diesel fuel to a disabled vehicle. Roadside Assistance limits fuel delivery service to two no-charge occurrences within a 12-month period.

• Winch out — available within 100 ft (30 m) of a paved or county maintained road, no recoveries.

• Towing — independent service contractors, if not prohibited by state, local or municipal law, shall tow Ford eligible vehicles to an authorized dealer within 35 mi (56 km) of the disablement location or to the nearest authorized dealer. If a member requests a tow to an authorized dealer that is more than 35 mi (56 km) from the disablement location, the member shall be responsible for any mileage costs in excess of 35 mi (56 km).

• Roadside Assistance includes up to $200 for a towed trailer if the disabled eligible vehicle requires service at the nearest authorized dealer. If the towing vehicle is operational but the trailer is not, then the trailer does not qualify for any roadside services.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:47 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a website that will help you find someone.

https://www.truckdown.com/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote