Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

Getting over cold Feet and a heater solution for my wet bay

We have had or Fleetwood Discovery 40G for a year now. Last Thanksgiving we went on our first semi-cold trip. I could not keep my feet warm, Heat on full furnace mode, wool socks, Uggs, a blanket stuffed around my feet still cold feet. It was terrible.

I found to my surprise (not really a surprise) that there were several holes in the firewall from the factory. 2- 1 inch holes and a few wire holes that had net been sealed properly.

My plan, foam the big holes, silicone the small ones and add 3/4" R4 Foam board to the exterior of the firewall.

I bought I sheet of foam board, a tube of silicon, a can of foam spray, 1 box of 1 1/4" screws and a box of 1 1/2" washers.

The screws would go right through the foam without the washers.

This took me about 2 hours to complete and should be night and day difference this year. We ware about to head to VA from TX for Thanksgiving so it will test the project.

I also had a difficult time last year keeping the wet bay from freezing during the quick cold snaps before i was ready to fully winterize so I did this;

Bought a reptile cage warming pad, 2 - 12x12 ceramic tiles, put the reptile warming pad between the 2 tiles and duct taped the edges together. WA--LA
Ceramic heater that hold 86 to 100 degrees.

I put some foil backed insulation wrap in the bottoms of the compartment to help hold in the heat and it worked like a charm for 100$
Here is a link to what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Under-...s%2C183&sr=8-9

Here is how it looked completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191118_105946.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	267303   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191118_110110.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	267304  

MEWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Great job. Thanks for sharing.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One thing else to check. Often, when you drive in the cold, you run your dash heat, defrost or even vent to clear the windshield. When most people stop to camp at the end of the day, they leave the heater controls in the same position. On many brands of heating/cooling systems, this leaves the duct doors open to the outside. You can get a pretty god draft.

I always try to remember to turn the controls to the off position, to prevent the draft.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #4

Put this into your wet bay and you will never have a freezing issue there. Wire it to the house batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/RoadWorthy-Ba...4299221&sr=8-4
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, heat