Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile Getting prepared to FT - need your feedback and suggestions on rig.

My wife and I planning to begin full timing in 2 years. I'm starting my research now and could use your advice. We're looking for resources on what make and model of coach you might steer us toward and which ones to avoid. We are experienced RVers and currently own a TT. Here is a short list of our parameters:

Max price - $100,000
Age - up to 10 years
Size - 38 - 40ft
Use - Parks, RV parks, boondocking
Location - snowbirding and coast to coast (at least at first)
Frequent visits - Colorado (mountain country)
Current preference - DP

Other than that we welcome your thoughts!
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

I think you will have a very good selection in the parameters set. We have a Discovery 40E. We liked the living area with the TV directly in front of the couch. You can also turn the driver and passenger seats for additional seating. I think you will just have to look at floor plans and features out there. We chose newer so that the electronics were more current and did not have to do any upgrades right now. Such as invertors, batteries, TV’s and such.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't really help you with that! Too many out there and everybody thinks theirs is the best! I would go to RVTrader.com, put in the parameters you mentioned, and see what's out there.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
The choice is totally yours depending on your wants and needs. Stay with the more common builders and your issues should be minimal, plus parts/service will be easier to find.
I can only suggest that if you prefer getting into the country the a shorter coach - 28' to34' will be easier to maneuver in the tighter campgrounds, plus many rural State Parks have length restrictions.
A built in generator that runs off the same fuel as your coach is preferable.
Decent basement storage comes in handy too.
Oh, and newer should be better. Plus check out old timer rv'ers that cannot motorhome any more in your area for a low mileage good deal.
You're gonna love the lifestyle.
Lineman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Well here is my 2 cents.

We have been full timing for 5 years now and fully believe that anything less then 40 feet is too small. Diesel. Most DP at 40 feet have a bath and half which you will quickly find is important for keeping peace in the family. I am partial to Winnebago but Tiffen makes a good RV in all sizes.

If you are more inclined to camp in public campgrounds you want to stay with a smaller RV. Most state and federal parks were built a long time ago when RV's were small and they do not really have the space for large RV's. In fact, I would suggest a 5th wheel if you want to go in that direction.

However, you mentioned that you have a TT membership. We do stay at many of their parks without any trouble with regards to size except for a couple of parks along the Oregon coast. We got into those parks but it was really tight.

Boondocking is a huge topic all by itself. I'll leave that to the many on here who know far more than I do on that subject.

If you want any additional info on surviving full time the first year or two drop me a PM and I will try to answer your questions in a timely manner.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12amNSX View Post
My wife and I planning to begin full timing in 2 years. I'm starting my research now and could use your advice. We're looking for resources on what make and model of coach you might steer us toward and which ones to avoid. We are experienced RVers and currently own a TT. Here is a short list of our parameters:

Max price - $100,000
Age - up to 10 years
Size - 38 - 40ft
Use - Parks, RV parks, boondocking
Location - snowbirding and coast to coast (at least at first)
Frequent visits - Colorado (mountain country)
Current preference - DP

Other than that we welcome your thoughts!
I agree with your choice of length as you will be in the coach 24/7. Sometimes you need some me time and it is easier to get in a longer rig. We were fortunate enough to be able to travel eight or nine months a year and rest for a few months before we had to do it again UGH!!!

We did it in a 27' Allegro, a 33' Bounder and a 36' Pace Arrow Vision Traveling West on the Northern route and back East on the Southern route ending up in Florida at Beachcomber (when it was there) in St Augustine. Detouring once to Alaska. Every time the coach got bigger the more enjoyable the trip got. I have never driven a DP and would only do so if it were within my budget. I believe you get more bang for your buck with a Gas rig. Dont get me wrong if my budget would have allowed it I would have one in a heart beat but dont feel left out because I did not. If I were to do it again and young enough and planned on putting allot of miles on it 100K is plenty to find a good DP in that length since mileage is irrelevant and many people do not put many miles on them. We could make the same trip many more times and never run out of new things to see. Staying at truck stops and Wal Mart is fun for us for a while. I dont know if things are the same as before but several memberships in camping clubs is a great way to save money on lodging. We used to pick our home park an an obscure out of the way park which made the membership cheap and gave you all the benefits. Also if you are a Vet you might be able to make use of an access pass allowing you to stay at military bases and Core of Engineers parks. The Elks Club has some Lodges with camp sites as well, they basic but very reasonable.

Hope some of this helps.

Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #7

Since you're leaning towards a DP and up to 10yrs. old a 100K should snag you a pretty good coach. The one thing that would be my #1 "must have" items though would be a side radiator DP. Makes access to engine maintenance items a breeze. A rear radiator DP are usually more readily available, and cheaper but you have full access to practically nothing in the engine bay and maintenance is a bear.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #8

After full timing for 5 years I can suggest a coach with the main bathroom/shower in the rear behind the bedroom. And a half bath mid-ship.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you everyone for your responses! They are very helpful.

I'm not sure if this is a sensitive subject, but I'm also looking for specific desirable brands and those to watch out for. I'm leaning toward Monaco and Tiffin as top contenders but sometimes there are certain years that a brand did a great job or blew it from a manufacturing standpoint.
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote