Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have my tank filled at the business I get my home propane from. They ask me to shut anything propane powered off, shut the engine off if I haven't yet, and exit the MH along with anyone else in the MH. The person filling the tank will shut the tank valve off but it is up to me to open the valve after the tank is filled. They also ask me to not turn anything back on in proximity to the filling station.
Some of this might be company policy but I'm OK with it.
Lynn
Thanks in advance of my next fill.
I am just now getting ready for my first road trip and the tank is 2/3rds.
I know this is a sticky subject but does everyone leave the LP on when driving long distances?
I am making my first trip 5 hrs.

I've heard it's up to each person to determine the proximate danger of the LP being on when driving.
Of course, all frig's have automatic and can run on battery or LP, but what do you all do?
Thanks in advance.
Adverturous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
While it probably doesn't happen too often, there's always the chance of a leak around the valve stem. For this reason, these valves are made to seat in both the full closed and full open positions. I can't imagine ever having to "back it off" at any time and I wouldn't do it. If the valve is sticking to the point it can't be turned by hand, then it probably needs to be replaced.

I've also never read the advisement not to travel with propane on. Maybe because your refrigerator is electric, I don't know. I do know that my manual does not state this.

OK great info!
So glad this forum exists!!

lefty loosee, righty tighty!
And, I will back if off just slightly and remember to turn it off for travel.
Disregard my question in re:LP off for travel.

Much thanks to everyone!
Kim
Adverturous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adverturous View Post
OK great info!

Much thanks to everyone!
Kim
I leave my propane on all the time. I run the fridge on LP when travelling and even at times when the AC voltage is low in a campground.
Lynn
Old 08-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #18

Quote:
I am making my first trip 5 hrs.

Of course, all frig's have automatic and can run on battery or LP, but what do you all do?
Thanks in advance.
That's not true. Most fridges run on gas or 120 volts.

On gas, they need 12 volts for the controls.

On 120 volts, they need shore power or generator power, plus 12 volts for the controls. You don't have that giving down the road unless you keep the generator running.

There are a few, what are called 3 way fridges that also run on 12 volts but not very popular.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #19

Quote:
OK great info!

Much thanks to everyone!
Kim

NO backing if off
Propane valves are double seated
Fully close or fully open against the seats so it doesn't LEAK

LP on while travel.......
Heck YES
That is what it is designed for
There are MORE safety features/devices then vehicle fuel systems have
*LP System is 11"WC ---that is 0.4 PSI
(You can whistle harder then that)
*Excees Flow Devices----shutdown & limit propane flow should a LEAK occur (broken line/failed fitting)
*Appliances have 'electronic ignition controlled by a circuit board. Flame proof circuit will cause a LOCK OUT (no gas flow/no ignition) if flame fails

If it wasn't safe to use propane while traveling I would NOT want to use it while stationary (and asleep)

On/Off while fueling........personal choices based on good information/informative information OR misinformation/fears.
One has to decide for themselves
Having worked with all types of fuel I have different idea about on/off while fueling.....I don't worry about the what if's
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #20

Quote:
OK great info!

Much thanks to everyone!
Kim
I wouldn't back it off any. Whether closed or opened, turn the valve all the way and then leave it.

On traveling, you can turn the propane off if you want but it isn't necessary in most cases. Personally, I do like to turn it off when in storage because there's always the chance someone or something might bump one of the stove knobs or do something else that might cause the loss of my $3.00 a gallon propane.

Edited to add: Just now see that I repeated some of what Old Biscuit stated. While I'm here, I'll say that I never turn propane off when filling up with gasoline. However, I do turn the propane fired refrigerator off since it's located about 5 feet from the gas fill.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I wouldn't back it off any. Whether closed or opened, turn the valve all the way and then leave it.

On traveling, you can turn the propane off if you want but it isn't necessary in most cases. Personally, I do like to turn it off when in storage because there's always the chance someone or something might bump one of the stove knobs or do something else that might cause the loss of my $3.00 a gallon propane.

Edited to add: Just now see that I repeated some of what Old Biscuit stated. While I'm here, I'll say that I never turn propane off when filling up with gasoline. However, I do turn the propane fired refrigerator off since it's located about 5 feet from the gas fill.
My former MH was a class C Gulf Stream Conquest. The gas filler tube was only about 2' from the fridge vent. I shut the fridge off when refueling and turned it back on after I pulled away from the pumps.
I never understood why the MH was built this way but have never heard of an explosion caused by leaving the fridge on. That doesn't mean an explosion didn't happen though and I didn't want to be the first if it hadn't.
Lynn
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #22

Getting road ready, how far do I turn my LP knob?

Quote:
I leave my propane on all the time. I run the fridge on LP when travelling and even at times when the AC voltage is low in a campground.

Same here. Propane on and available all the time. If you’re traveling in cold weather, you cannot keep the house warm without running the furnaces.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #23

You also don't hear of explosions when cars and trucks start up while next to another car or truck fueling.

The lower and upper flammable limits of gasoline are 1.4% to 7.6%. The designers of gas stations must have taken that into consideration.

Turning the propane tank off, while leaving the water heater and fridge switchs on, could be more risky then shutting the power to them off. They will continue to attempt to ignite a few times with the gas valve off.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #24

Quote:
I have my tank filled at the business I get my home propane from. They ask me to shut anything propane powered off, shut the engine off if I haven't yet, and exit the MH along with anyone else in the MH. The person filling the tank will shut the tank valve off but it is up to me to open the valve after the tank is filled. They also ask me to not turn anything back on in proximity to the filling station.
Some of this might be company policy but I'm OK with it.
Lynn
yep ! that's the law …
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #25

When compressed gasses expand, they cool off.

As a SCUBA diver, I had been taught (years ago, I'll admit) that the tank valve should be opened full and then backed off about 1/4 turn to make sure it was not at the end of it's mechanical travel. This was so that the change in temperature would not lock the valve, preventing it from being shut off.

I had this happen to a student diver one time and had to wait a few minutes for the temperatures on the valve/tank to equilibrate before we could shut off the valve.

Since then, I have always backed off pretty much an valve a little after opening it full, even garden spigots. Have not had any problems since doing that (about 40 years).
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #26

Amazing how many reasons there are to not operate a propane tank valve properly.

They just keep coming !
Old 08-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Amazing how many reasons there are to not operate a propane tank valve properly.

They just keep coming !

Wonder why valve mfgs go to all the machining necessary to make valves with dual seats
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
When compressed gasses expand, they cool off.

As a SCUBA diver, I had been taught (years ago, I'll admit) that the tank valve should be opened full and then backed off about 1/4 turn to make sure it was not at the end of it's mechanical travel. This was so that the change in temperature would not lock the valve, preventing it from being shut off.

I had this happen to a student diver one time and had to wait a few minutes for the temperatures on the valve/tank to equilibrate before we could shut off the valve.

Since then, I have always backed off pretty much an valve a little after opening it full, even garden spigots. Have not had any problems since doing that (about 40 years).
There is no mention of that procedure in the PADI training.

I was trained to open it gently, until it stops but all the way.

This is from a dive training site.

Securing valves at the stop position helps to avoid the dangerous situation of mistaking a partially opened valve and unintentionally closing the air supply. You should also be aware that your dive buddies and dive guides might inadvertently create a problem for you. They make mistakes too.