Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #15
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here in Oregon one of the National Forest (Siuslaw?) that was had a large amount of logging in late 1970 early '80's subsidized a program to do that for several log haulers. The idea was to cut down on the maintenance of the logging roads as the speeds would be lower.

I seem to remember that it was switched controlled to bleed off the tires then flip it back to air up. IIRC one of the concerns was that it would take a long time to air up 18 tires from low pressure to normal. Never heard of the outcome of the trial or if it was implemented.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Here in Oregon one of the National Forest (Siuslaw?) that was had a large amount of logging in late 1970 early '80's subsidized a program to do that for several log haulers. The idea was to cut down on the maintenance of the logging roads as the speeds would be lower.

I seem to remember that it was switched controlled to bleed off the tires then flip it back to air up. IIRC one of the concerns was that it would take a long time to air up 18 tires from low pressure to normal. Never heard of the outcome of the trial or if it was implemented.
They tried the same thing in BC. It faded into the history books like CNG fuel, self loading trailers and air scales. The logging industry is pretty brutal on trucks.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
All nice stories about getting stuck in cars and off road vehicles, but hopefully you'll realize you're not driving an off road vehicle. Even slightly uneven roads will shake an RV apart. Yes, many drag trailers into remote sites, but no one is in them. Once you try and take a motor home off road, you'll soon realize that getting pitched from side to side in your seat gets old fast.

You've been driving big stuff for years, you should be able to recognize what will get you stuck and avoid it. I've been RVing for 50 years all over the country and have never got an RV stuck.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
All nice stories about getting stuck in cars and off road vehicles, but hopefully you'll realize you're not driving an off road vehicle. Even slightly uneven roads will shake an RV apart. Yes, many drag trailers into remote sites, but no one is in them. Once you try and take a motor home off road, you'll soon realize that getting pitched from side to side in your seat gets old fast.

You've been driving big stuff for years, you should be able to recognize what will get you stuck and avoid it. I've been RVing for 50 years all over the country and have never got an RV stuck.
I got stuck once, in the Winnie. I was directed to a place where I couldn't make a turn. I was going to unhook the toad and back up, but the CG owner said I should be able to make it across the somewhat muddy grass. I would have made it, too, if he'd stayed out of the darn way! But he walked in front of me without thinking, which made me slow down too much (so that I didn't hit him), and we got stuck. Fortunately, he had a front end loader and was able to pull us free, at no charge. (He was embarrassed about the whole thing afterward.)

I don't want to even *think* about repeating that experience, ever, and certainly not in our DP. I stick to places I *know* I can go.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Follow the lead of the mall crawlers and mount a Hi-Lift in a prominent spot. You'll never be stuck.
This is a very dangerous tool. I have seen more than one person hurt using it. Been jeeping 50 years.
Weeds636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:31 AM   #20

It seems to me it would be just as effective to put a set of chains (dual wheel) in the basement. If you get really stuck let some air out of the tires and put on the chains.

I do not ever want to put chains on dual wheels in the mud or snow so I will stay on firm ground.
Warrenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:59 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Airing down tires on an RV probably would work better if they had real Drive Tires instead of the Steer/All position tires the vast majority are fitted with on the rear axle.

I kinda got stuck once when trying to position myself in a wet campsite after a heavy rain. It is very easy to do without realizing it in a DP. It was a weird sensation of pushing the accelerator with no results in forward or reverse. I thought something was broken. I couldn't hear the engine revving or even feel the rear end sink since you are sitting so far away from the rear axle. Since I was close enough to the hookups the CG owner suggested I just put the Jacks down, level out, and wait a few days. By the time we left, sure enough the ground was dry enough for us to pull right out after raising the Jacks.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Having been stuck in a campground on soft ground after some heavy rains, and having spent two unpleasant hours getting unstuck, Ive been thinking about this. Of all the ideas posted here, the most effective seems to me to be a selectable locking differential. Having power to the other wheel would have done it for me.

Whether or not they are available for my axle (Detroit Model 4), and if so what the cost would be, are the next questions to answer. But Ive been thinking about it since last June and might just make some phone calls. An internet search has so far been unproductive.

Given the large diameter of the wheels, the narrow profile of the tires, the stiffness of the sidewalls, and the absence of any effective tread pattern, I don't think you’d get much benefit from airing down. And as stated above the risk of breaking a bead makes this an undesirable alternative.

The idea of installing chains, aside from the possibility of damage to the fragile wheel wells and very limited room for installation, seems like just about an impossible task once you have buried your wheels in mud. Possible I suppose, but not preferable. Its a lot different on a truck with plenty of room and nothing to damage.

And of course the best plan of all is to just stay off soft ground which I intend to do, but as I’ve learned stuff happens.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #23

Know what you are driving on. A motor home will sink and get stuck in a heartbeat, stay on solid maintained roads or you are in for trouble.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #24

Letting air out is likely pointless.

The ONE time I drove onto wet grass I sunk in about 8 inches, tires packed with dirt and became slicks. Nothing short of a tow truck will get you out.
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeds636 View Post
This is a very dangerous tool. I have seen more than one person hurt using it. Been jeeping 50 years.
The learning curve it to whack yourself in the chin at least once, you then learn to keep it out the way.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #26

So this brings up a question. What would you hook too to pull the RV out?
Old 12-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
Letting air out of tires was common in the 50’s and 60’s. I don’t think people do it much anymore. Your post took me back a few years and I enjoyed reading it.

Just don’t tell me your still using sawdust tires.
It's pretty much of a requirement when camping out on Pismo Beach, CA.
They air you back up, upon departure, if you're not equipped with your own compressor.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Letting air out is likely pointless.

The ONE time I drove onto wet grass I sunk in about 8 inches, tires packed with dirt and became slicks. Nothing short of a tow truck will get you out.
I can usually drive on my lawn, even after it rains. But,,, I tried it in the motorhome this one time after it had rained for a couple of days and got stopped in my tracks. I knew not to try backing or rocking so immediately shut the rig down. It stayed in that spot for a couple more days then I placed heavy lumber under the jacks to start the extraction process. Stuffed plywood strips under the wheels and was able to drive out.

Of course ours has a GVWR of 15k which made things easy. Not sure anything like my procedure would come close to working with a heavy DP.

Tags
diesel