Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 04:12 AM   #85

We want to get into a diesel pusher from a toy hauler with a 4x4 truck. My wife really wants the on road comforts that a DP provides. We spend our weekends at Dirt bike races and I am very concerned about the switch. These are all mostly held on private property. were parking can be anywhere, front yard , field ect. Many times wet, not flat . The DP that come get there early and really find the prime spots, Sometimes parking can be tight. The national events will always have something to drag stuck rigs around but the smaller do not.

Love the fabed up tow points in this rig,
Self recovery kit thoughts
1) I think dual 12k winches would be awesome mounted on receivers' moveable front to back
2)Self recovery dead man
3) Good drive tires
4)Traction boards
5) Locking Diff

We are considering a tandem Class 8 Toter home also
Ed95Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #86

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
We succeeded in getting our Beaver Patriot stuck in our field turning around. Twice.

Airing down the tires was useless.

We placed lumber under the hydraulic leveling jacks to lift the coach, then lumber under the tires, then more lumber under the jacks and so on. Finally, a mini road of lumber to drive on.

DP's have open differentials. It doesn't take much to spin a tire and park the coach.

Also, recovery can be a problem. The front cap rarely offers a way to pull the coach and the rear cap is rarely much better.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:56 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed95Pont View Post
We want to get into a diesel pusher from a toy hauler with a 4x4 truck. My wife really wants the on road comforts that a DP provides. We spend our weekends at Dirt bike races and I am very concerned about the switch. These are all mostly held on private property. were parking can be anywhere, front yard , field ect. Many times wet, not flat . The DP that come get there early and really find the prime spots, Sometimes parking can be tight. The national events will always have something to drag stuck rigs around but the smaller do not.

Love the fabed up tow points in this rig,
Self recovery kit thoughts
1) I think dual 12k winches would be awesome mounted on receivers' moveable front to back
2)Self recovery dead man
3) Good drive tires
4)Traction boards
5) Locking Diff

We are considering a tandem Class 8 Toter home also
I didn't grow up traveling to races, but have a pretty good idea what you are describing. I raced locally and have friends in the industry (best friend was Eli Tomac's mechanic until just this season), and have gone to some of the outdoor races. I would say that I'd certainly be stressed out getting my diesel pusher into and out of events reliably. I went to Pala this past year, and it was totally fine but a) we had a hookup on spots and b) just kinda got lucky with an easy spot, easy access in/out, etc. c) not wet!

I could see having issues unless like you said, you are able to snag a good spot by getting there early, but can you always be sure that will happen? And then what about the rain/etc. which can change things big time.

I went to Blair Valley (near Julian, CA) recently with our diesel pusher (2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G for reference), and the access road is pretty decent, but still through a dip, these things are so low, I juuuust drug the rear hitch where I have my TOAD air line bracket attached (stupidly) as a low point. And I was CRAWLING through at less than walking pace. I'll be moving it, but my point is that it is very low. I have also ripped off the generator latch from the front simply coming out of an 18-wheeler diesel station where the entry/exit was more beat up than I realized, and the front tires/axle dropped down into a bit of a hole and rip!, bye bye latch haha (thankully, was able to bend heavy steel bracket back, and re-attached all the original mechanism just with new bolts since the old were sheared off)

Good luck in whatever you do! I'd say creating some kind of tow attachments like I did is mandatory. But man you can't beat the 4x4 of a pull truck + trailer vs. a diesel pusher. I'd still go diesel pusher all day for what we do - we are digging it much more than the truck + 5'er for various reasons, but those are subjective. Many would tell me "no way" for some of the places we go, but we have made it happen and prefer it (i.e. the open desert Glamis thing in the sand, some ridiculously tight places like Little Basin, CA in the redwood forest, etc. Everyone has their own tolerance and opinion on reasonable application.

Do you have a network of fellow racers that have similar conditions as you such as not being able to arrive super early or have connections for ideal spots and what do they think?
dsimon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:13 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon42 View Post
More pictures
Great setup. We have a Neumar "short bus" 34' DP. It is very low but has a very tight turning radius. We have taken it places people have said we are crazy. Maybe we are a bit. Only been stuck twice. Once on Pismo beach, CA. Different coach same set up. Moved over for a dually 6wd pulling a 5er that was struggling. Got into dry sand and started to sink. Stopped aired down, figured a path out and with the help of a BUNCH beachgoers we pulled right out. Years later at a rodeo in central Kansas. Ground was rock hard the whole week we where there. Night before we left it poured all night. In the AM there was nothing but "Kansas mud" everywhere. Got lucky there was a guy there had an oil drilling support truck 10wd and tons of pipe in the back. Hooked up to our trailer hitch and pulled us back about 100 ft to a paved road. Two hours in a car wash to clean off the the under side and we where on our way.

Installing your "idea" on the front of the motorhome now. Mounting it a bit lower, pretty much right on top of the frame. Putting a 2x2 1/4 wall brace (cross bar) with a upper and lower 1/4" gusset holding everything together. Mostly bolted together so it will be easy to remove if I ever need service / removal of the generator. This should insure I will never have to be towed out going forward.

Thanks much for the idea!
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:53 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post
Great setup. We have a Neumar "short bus" 34' DP. It is very low but has a very tight turning radius. We have taken it places people have said we are crazy. Maybe we are a bit. Only been stuck twice. Once on Pismo beach, CA. Different coach same set up. Moved over for a dually 6wd pulling a 5er that was struggling. Got into dry sand and started to sink. Stopped aired down, figured a path out and with the help of a BUNCH beachgoers we pulled right out. Years later at a rodeo in central Kansas. Ground was rock hard the whole week we where there. Night before we left it poured all night. In the AM there was nothing but "Kansas mud" everywhere. Got lucky there was a guy there had an oil drilling support truck 10wd and tons of pipe in the back. Hooked up to our trailer hitch and pulled us back about 100 ft to a paved road. Two hours in a car wash to clean off the the under side and we where on our way.

Installing your "idea" on the front of the motorhome now. Mounting it a bit lower, pretty much right on top of the frame. Putting a 2x2 1/4 wall brace (cross bar) with a upper and lower 1/4" gusset holding everything together. Mostly bolted together so it will be easy to remove if I ever need service / removal of the generator. This should insure I will never have to be towed out going forward.

Any pictures?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post

Awesome, also curious for how it comes out!
dsimon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:38 PM   #91

We got our 34' gas coach stuck up to the frame backing into a NY state park grass camp site on a very wet day. The rear wheels only got 4 feet off the road when it went down. Fortunately some fellow campers and I had a lot of boards between us all. Lots of digging, jacking, and piling blocks under the wheels and I was able to drive it out. Letting air out of the tires would have done no good at all. I think any tow truck that tried to get us would have gotten stuck because we were across the road and they would have had to drive on the soft ground.
I have never accepted another grass or dirt campsite since.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Any pictures?

Have some surgery sch for next week so project will have to be stopped for a few weeks. Close to being done, waiting on some parts.

Will post pictures when complete. Once I figure out How??
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #93

Well it had to happen sooner or later I guess. I knew better, but backed into a family property in Missouri knowing they have had tons of rain but I thought the old driveway base was still under that pretty grass. I felt it start to sink and immediately put it in forward gear but was too late.

Was able to shimmy under the front and wrap a cable around the lowest part of the main front suspension cross member, and clevis that to a large and long nylon lifting strap. An old friend on his 4wd JD easily pulled me out.
Only damage was my ego and some sod (that I own).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4741.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	365126Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	365127
Attachment 1

Name:	IMG_4743.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	752.6 KB
ID:	365128
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:20 AM   #94

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	365148
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #95

Keep in mind virtually all MH's have an open rear-end, which makes driving out of a stuck situation very difficult if not impossible.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #96

Alpine Owners Club
Plan on replacing my drives with 295/75R22.5 Toyo M920s. May help a little but better than a highway tire. Anyone out there tried these?
2006 36 FDDS #75551 400 hp
La Crescenta, CA 91214-1944
sctalbott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel