Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Getting the weight on my RV

Glen B 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 300 Cat..Have a shell in the area that has scales. Looks like I can get axle weight not each tire location. I assume that will help me with getting the right air pressure setting? If I am getting this weight do I hook up the 2006 CRV? I was going to just take the RV with all fluids, food, clothes etc that we would normally travel with. First time to do this....tks glen
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, get each axle weight and then look at your tire manufacturer's inflation tables and fill according to those.

You CAN get a four corner weight if you can find a scales that doesn't have posts around the scale area. Otherwise, there is an outfit called SmartWeigh (run by Escapees now, I believe)that sets up at rallies and in between rallies at the Escapees Park in Livingston, TX.

No reason to take the toad if you're towing 4 down.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer the 4 corner weighing method. It not only gives you a more accurate weight picture, it will also give you some idea if you are loading the RV with a good side to side balance. You can be within axle limits while being over weight on one of the corners of the same axle. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

While four corner weights are ideal, getting each axle weighed will put you 90% of the way home.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you only have axle weights, don't just divide by 2 (4 for the rear axle) to get tire loads. It is common for one end of the axle to be heavier than the other (RV not balanced perfectly), so be sure to add a fudge factor for that possibility. I usually add in about 10% of the axle weight after doing the division, to make sure I have enough pressure. You could also just go up one entry on the pressure table, so that you are inflating for a bit more weight than indicated.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
While four corner weights are ideal, getting each axle weighed will put you 90% of the way home.

Rick
X2, and also agree the toad is not going to affect what you're doing/axle weights.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
X2, and also agree the toad is not going to affect what you're doing/axle weights.
X3 finding a place to get individual weights is not easy.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We were at a Rally in Creede CO had our MH weighted and was amazed the weights were as good as they were. Tiffin Phaeton is really hard to balance so I figured the right rear was going to be out of sight.
The Couple that did the weighting was Tom & Lonnie the Co. is Weight To Go
You might give them a call 916-217-9416 and get their schedule as they travel all over.

JR
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I've used CAT scales at four different locations over the past year to obtain four corner weights, with good success. Find CAT scales with a flat apron on the side of the platforms. Weigh once with all four corners on the back two platforms. Ask for a reweigh, back off and pull back on with one side tires on the apron next to the platform. A little math and you will have four corner weights. I was usually charged $8.50 for the first weigh, and $1.00 for the reweigh. Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #10

Just like when you buy a drill bit, you don't really want the bit, you want the hole that the bit will produce. When weighing a coach, most people don't really care what their rig weighs, but wants to know how much air pressure is needed in order to have the correct air pressure to provide a flat footprint, which provides the best safety, and longest wear pattern, and that can be provided with a piece of chalk! Air up the tire to manufactures recommended pressure and then make a chalk line straight across the tire's thread. Now drive a couple of miles, stop, look at the chalk line. If the line is completely gone, congratulations, tire pressure is optimal for that tire. If the is chalk is visible at the edges, tire is over inflated. If chalk line is seen only at center portion of the tire, it is under inflated. When I use this procedure, I use three lines on the tire one third of the way around so as to provide easier observance. Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I kinda like ed's method, will probably try it.

Tire pressure is a common topic, lots of threads, some even kinda heated.

3 facts worth k.nowing:

The pressure on the tires sidewall is the minimum pressure needed to carry the tires maximum load rating.

A tires with higher air pressure will handle better, and be less bothered by wind gusts, passing semi's, and "tail wagging the dog" syndrome.

Lower pressure will give a smoother ride, but also more sway.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
:

The pressure on the tires sidewall is the minimum pressure needed to carry the tires maximum load rating.

Uh...that didn't sound right. My tires say: Max load .....lbs. followed by Max PSI ... Same on the VW Beetle and the Jeep...or am I missing something? Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The info on the sidewall will say that your tire will be able to carry X lbs of weight MAX at X lbs of pressure. EG; the tire sidewall is rated to carry 10,000# of weight at 120# of pressure opr max weight at max pressure. If you are carrying 110# instead of 120#,then your tire capacity will diminish to mebbee 9,500#.
The best thing would be to go to here, www.michelinrvtires.com/assets/pdf/RVTiresBrochure.pdf
It tells you how to weigh your rig,how to figger the correct tire and the carrying capacity of your tires at weight.
I have a different one that I got at Camp Freightliner,but I'm going to try to get this one too as it seems to have more info in it.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
3 facts worth k.nowing:

A tires with higher air pressure will handle better, and be less bothered by wind gusts, passing semi's, and "tail wagging the dog" syndrome.

Lower pressure will give a smoother ride, but also more sway.
The "facts" stated above are misleading.

Item 1 is completely clarified by this post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tire...ml#post1091032

Item 2, 3 - A CORRECTLY inflated tire (based on manufacturer inflation tables) will ride better, longer, higher traction, etc....
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight