RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #1

GFCI tripping

Hi all. I am having a problem. We store our RV (2015 Excursion 35b) indoors and plug in using an adapter (120v, 15a) to power the battery charger. The storage unit receptacle has a GFCI installed and when we plug in all is well for 10-15 min, then the GFCI trips. It is a pain in the butt as you never know in what condition we will find our batteries ___

Any idea of what could be causing this.. The rig is stock except for a hardwired surge protector

Mark
nyparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyparrothead View Post
Hi all. I am having a problem. We store our RV (2015 Excursion 35b) indoors and plug in using an adapter (120v, 15a) to power the battery charger. The storage unit receptacle has a GFCI installed and when we plug in all is well for 10-15 min, then the GFCI trips. It is a pain in the butt as you never know in what condition we will find our batteries ___

Any idea of what could be causing this.. The rig is stock except for a hardwired surge protector

Mark
I'm gonna start a war here but I have done side by side test. Some brands of GFI's don't play nice when 2 are plugged together. Trip or turn off your GFI circuit breaker or outlets. breaker is easier if you have multiple outlets.

You are probably plugged into a GFI circuit. 2 gfi's in series sometimes don't play nice.

I'm assuming your talking about a portable charger? You will need to plug it into a non GFI controlled outlet. all your storage outlets are gfi. Or skip the coach wiring and plug the charger into the storage outlet.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I have had weak GFCI outlets that will do that. I replaced the outlet with a new GFCI and problem was solved.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #4

Since it not your GFCI to change, if its bad, disconnect your 2 negetive battery cables and leave the plug out.

Your batteries will last for months disconnected. If the don't, they were no good anyway.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #5

You should never leave lead acids without a float charger on them.

Can you change the outlet?
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinpirie View Post
You should never leave lead acids without a float charger on them.

Can you change the outlet?
Why would that be ??

Millions of lead acid batteries are stored without a float charge running thru them.

Just look in a battery warehouse, boat storage yard, car dealer, RV dealer or any battery retailer.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

Because lead acids lose 5% of their charge every month and too many discharges below 40% destroy the batteries. Given how expensive our house batteries are and how cheap solar or plug in battery maintainers are, you should never leave them for any period not on a charger. A few weeks, sure. Months, no!
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I disconnect all of my batteries every Winter when I store my Coach and collector cars. I make sure the batteries have a full charge then pull the cables. I have never had an issue doing this and I leave them for up to six months. Many times when I put a charge on them after sitting the charger says they are at 95% before recharging

Back to the GFCI issue....I have heard others have this issue in the past and it was s known that many RVs donít play nice with GFCI protected circuits. I canít recall why that it is but I know many have had to remove the GFI or plug into a non-protected circuit
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyparrothead View Post

Mark

Maybe bulk charging pulling to many amps?
Old 08-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinpirie View Post
Because lead acids lose 5% of their charge every month and too many discharges below 40% destroy the batteries. Given how expensive our house batteries are and how cheap solar or plug in battery maintainers are, you should never leave them for any period not on a charger. A few weeks, sure. Months, no!
5% a month is 15% over a 3 month period. That leaves you with 85% charger.

A lead acid battery will have at least 300 to 500 hundred deep cycles ( Down to 10% ) in them.

15% is one days use, over the 3 month storage period, a drop in the bucket.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Maybe bulk charging pulling to many amps?
GFCI protectors are not amp sensitive, that's the job of the circuit breaker.

GFCI devices monitor for unequal current traveling thru the hot and neutral wire. If they don't balance, that current is going somewhere else, possably thru your body.

That's what they are designed to protect.