Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

GFI's died & won't reset

I've tripped a circuit and one GFI in recent past. Tried everything I can think of for this problem.

When I plugged in my shore power cord, 50 amp, I heard a faint 'frying' sound. Said it didn't sound good but everything was working fine EXCEPT all my GFI outlets are dead and won't reset. There are 2 of them, which also control the outlets in the galley, bed room at the bed's head and the outlet to the inflatable sofa bed. I've unplugged everything, reset breakers, reset on the inverter and now I'm lost. The test buttons were pushed in first and clicked when I did this. The resets aren't resetting the circuits. I fear there could have been some moisture in the park supply post? Could that destroy my GFI's or could there be something else that would keep them from resetting? Everything else seems to be working just fine.
ChrisFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

You didn't mention the age or MFG of your unit, but GFI outlets just sometimes go bad, in many applications the GFI outlet is the first one in the circuit and it protects the other outlets downstream. If you don't know anything about electric circuits, call for help, a residential electrician can help with this one, if you have some experience and a meter just look for 110v power on the inbound side of the GFI outlet, if it's there and nothing is there on the other side, chances are the outlet simply failed.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

It is hard for me to believe 2 GFI's would just go bad at the exact same time. I'm a full timer in a 2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C. Sorry, this is my first time using this forum for a problem and believed my info would post with my thread.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFish View Post
It is hard for me to believe 2 GFI's would just go bad at the exact same time. I'm a full timer in a 2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C. Sorry, this is my first time using this forum for a problem and believed my info would post with my thread.
If you've had two GFI's go out, ie; both outlets have reset switches in the outlet, then you may need to hear from some of the smarter folks on here. but if the main breaker is not tripped, then it sure sounds like a failed GFI outlet, good luck and it will be interesting to see what has caused this.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

Hello, from my experience the GFI won't reset unless there is power to it. I would double check the power coming into the GFI. I believe you said when you pushed the GFI it clicked which tripped it. It needs power to reset. Good luck
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #6

OMG! Woke up this morning & tried to reset all the GFI's. They all reset! Lesson learned again. Apparently the 'sizzling' sound I heard in the supply post WAS condensation frying when I plugged in. That moisture finally dissipated over night (thankfully a dry night) enough to allow the GFI's to reset. Someone upstairs took pity on this old gal!

Thanks to those of you who took the time to help me out. Hope this thread helps someone else out too!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #7

Check your cord

Chris, you should check the plug on the end of your cord for signs of burning. That sizzling sound you heard is the sound of arcing, ie sparking. Arcing does not occur when connections are good. The problem could be a loose connection of the wires in the pedestal, by a worn receptacle, or by a loose wire in your plug. Any of those conditions could result in a fire. Good wishes.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

It may be the pedestal. Possible bad neutral. Try another pedestal and check your cord.

And get a Progressive Industries RMS. It will see the issue and give a code and not allow bad power to the rig.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
And get a Progressive Industries RMS. It will see the issue and give a code and not allow bad power to the rig.

I whole heartily agree.. a good 50 amp surge protector will eliminate 99% of any problems originating from the pedestal. If indeed your current problem was pedestal related, a surge protector would have prevented it.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

Also, a GFCI won't reset if the ground is "parted" somewhere.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

I have had several GFI plugs fail. Had to replace them and the fix was done.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I have had several GFI plugs fail. Had to replace them and the fix was done.
This was not GFI related.

ChrisFish, the OP, had no power with sizzle noise, then power. :-)
Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #13

Are both GFI's dead? if so I would check the post power.
I would use a 115 socket tester that has two orange and one white light, telling if you have ungrounded,open,or reversed leads on the power. I've got to be the slowest keyboard manipulator here,everyone else beat me to the answer.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshanks View Post
Are both GFI's dead? if so I would check the post power. I would use a 115 socket tester that has two orange and one white light, telling if you have ungrounded,open,or reversed leads on the power. I've got to be the slowest keyboard manipulator here,everyone else beat me to the answer.
GFIs are not dead. Likely pedestal neutral issue. Read back a bit. :-)