Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Ghost power consumption

Sometimes when I connect to shore power 30 Amp, I get up to 17 amps showing on my inside meter. With nothing plugged in or turned on. after a while it goes back to normal, about 5-6 amps. Any help will be welcomed.
Thanks Ray
Tuffkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffkidd View Post
Sometimes when I connect to shore power 30 Amp, I get up to 17 amps showing on my inside meter. With nothing plugged in or turned on. after a while it goes back to normal, about 5-6 amps. Any help will be welcomed.
Thanks Ray
It sounds like the battery charger. Is your refrigerator on electric? That may explain the 5-6.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Ray
Guessing what you are seeing is the inverter/charger topping off your battery banks........
Old 01-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As already said probably your inverter/charger or convertr/charger. Some will go into boost mode when first plugged in.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
As already said probably your inverter/charger or convertr/charger. Some will go into boost mode when first plugged in.
Thanks, I did just replace all 4 coach batteries
Old 01-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
It sounds like the battery charger. Is your refrigerator on electric? That may explain the 5-6.
Bill
5-6 amps is normal with things plugged in but not turned on, fridge is electric, micro clock, and such
Old 01-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Ray
Let's dig a little deeper here. How long is it before you shut your engine off and plug in your shore power? Is it immediately or do you take your time? What is the voltage on the batteries just before you plug in to shore power?

It sounds to me that your alternator in your coach engine compartment may not producing enough voltage to charge the batteries while you are under way. When you get to the CG the shore power is connected and your battery charger is making up the charge difference your alternator didn't or couldn't. It could mean that your battery charger is set too high. It could also mean that your fluid level in your batteries is low and you could be burning up plates trying to get 13.5 volts out of a battery that doesn't have the capacity because of low fluid. Or your batteries are getting weak and will not hold a charge. All these things could be in question, but having a 17 amp charge on batteries that should have been fully charged when the engine was on for a period of time makes me question some things. The only thing that could be normal is taking your time to hook up to shore power and running an appliance in the meantime. The only way to really know is to check the voltage AND the amperage. Without knowing the voltage it is hard to determine what is going on.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
Let's dig a little deeper here. How long is it before you shut your engine off and plug in your shore power? Is it immediately or do you take your time? What is the voltage on the batteries just before you plug in to shore power?

It sounds to me that your alternator in your coach engine compartment may not producing enough voltage to charge the batteries while you are under way. When you get to the CG the shore power is connected and your battery charger is making up the charge difference your alternator didn't or couldn't. It could mean that your battery charger is set too high. It could also mean that your fluid level in your batteries is low and you could be burning up plates trying to get 13.5 volts out of a battery that doesn't have the capacity because of low fluid. Or your batteries are getting weak and will not hold a charge. All these things could be in question, but having a 17 amp charge on batteries that should have been fully charged when the engine was on for a period of time makes me question some things. The only thing that could be normal is taking your time to hook up to shore power and running an appliance in the meantime. The only way to really know is to check the voltage AND the amperage. Without knowing the voltage it is hard to determine what is going on.
It has been my experience that most chargers will automatically go into charge mode when first plugged in then in a few minutes when it detects the charge is adequate it tapers off.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #9

Yep, you have a Monaco with a Magnum charger/inverter!

To prove it is the charger you can turn the charger off on the Magnum control panel. This should drop the amperage down to 6 amp. Then switch your Norcold refer to LP and the draw will go to 0-1 amp.

Now you can turn the charger back on and set the refer back to auto.

I presume you have been driving for a while before hooking up. If it takes a while for the charger to top off the batteries after hooking up, you may have a bad Trombretta relay that keeps the engine alternator from charging the house batteries.

Common problem!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
Yep, you have a Monaco with a Magnum charger/inverter!

To prove it is the charger you can turn the charger off on the Magnum control panel. This should drop the amperage down to 6 amp. Then switch your Norcold refer to LP and the draw will go to 0-1 amp.

Now you can turn the charger back on and set the refer back to auto.

I presume you have been driving for a while before hooking up. If it takes a while for the charger to top off the batteries after hooking up, you may have a bad Trombretta relay that keeps the engine alternator from charging the house batteries.

Common problem!
Yep...
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery 40E

My initial draw is the electric hot water heater and the battery charger.

Tags
power