Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

Girard patio awning sail...I mean fail...

Of those with automatic Girard patio awnings, I am curious how many of you...

1. Trust the wind sensor. Y/N?
2. leave the patio awning out in MOST conditions. Y/N? (I'll guess you likely answered yes to #1 )
3. Have ever damaged your Girard awning in windy conditions (meaning: did the wind sensor really work?) Y/N
4. What is your story?

I have not had the need to use mine more than a couple of times and one of those times a gust of wind sent it up in the air a few feet sending me running to retract it. Now I am afraid.

I guess I want to know how many people regularly use their patio awning and how many of those folks have had a damage incident.

I hope your day is a great one!
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From a person who has had two awnings blown away.....

Never leave the campground with the awning out.

Bring it in at night.

Wind picking up? Bring in the awning. Tying it down might or might not work.

Disable the wind sensor...it is useless.

Insurance covered both my awnings.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
1. Trust the wind sensor. Y/N?

Yes

2. leave the patio awning out in MOST conditions. Y/N? (I'll guess you likely answered yes to #1 )
Yes

3. Have ever damaged your Girard awning in windy conditions (meaning: did the wind sensor really work?) Y/N
No

4. What is your story?

Don't leave awning out when not in the coach and always store at night. Depending on the amount of rain, I also stow when it gets heavy
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Carefree Apex which is a forerunner of the Girard. Mine is pretty sensitive to the wind even on 4. I usually bring them in if the wind starts coming up
In all my years of RV'ing (since 1967) I've never lost an awning to wind. But did lose one once to a rain squall in Fresno.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #5

My previous coach had a Carefree with a wind sensor. The sensor worked pretty good in the 3 settings it had, however, the arms were damaged by gently blowing gust moving it up and down. Soon the supports gave way and the arm bent.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
+1 to what Don said.

I tested my wind sensor with my leaf blower (however I don't know what wind speed I generated by blowing on sensor from the ground) and the awning retracted. So at least I know the sensor does something.
Bottom line, retract the awning when you go in at night or are away from coach for the day.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:40 AM   #7

I had a lightweight electric awning on our Winnebago trailer but it didn't have a wind sensor. Last year in FL, I ended up using tie downs as it was just ridiculous how the awning would start bouncing with minor breezes. Our new to us MH has a heavier old style manual awning but I will continue to use tie downs, but I only keep the awning out when we are at the site, and I retract it before going to bed.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimonson View Post
Of those with automatic Girard patio awnings, I am curious how many of you...

1. Trust the wind sensor. Y/N? Yes
2. leave the patio awning out in MOST conditions. Y/N? (I'll guess you likely answered yes to #1 )No
3. Have ever damaged your Girard awning in windy conditions (meaning: did the wind sensor really work?) Y/NYes
4. What is your story? Wind sensor works great HOWEVER by the time it reacts and the awning retracts it's old news. A wind gust or whirlwind will break a $400 arm in a couple of seconds. Also the front and rear anemometers get different amounts of wind so while one awning is being retracted the other may not be.
A wind gust broke the rear awning rear arm last summer and it is a bear to retract the awning into the storage position with a broken arm. It's not too difficult to replace though.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yes, I do trust my wind sensor, But my friend with a Prevost has his awning blown completely to the other side of the coach by a very sudden strong gust, really no time for the awning to retract.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #10

The wind sensor worked for about ya right ??? never trust it, unplug it, a long time ago as a matter of fact. Never leave the rig with the awning out, never leave it out at night. Almost lost it while we were in the unit eating lunch at Bryce Canyon, put a slight bend in the braces. The only way to leave it out is to tie it down. Ya don't want to buy a replacement when you fine it on the other side of the unit.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
never trust it, unplug it, a long time ago as a matter of fact.
Why would you unplug it? It will start winding it in before you can get to it in many cases. There are many times I have been in the coach unaware of the current wind and it has retracted it.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #12

I have two Paramount awnings on the passenger side and the wind sensors work great. Sometimes, I think they're a little too sensitive, but they have always done their job. If the passenger side of the coach is facing the sun, I will retract half way before leaving. When I return, sometimes one is retracted, sometimes both and sometimes neither. The system works the way it was designed.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Combine post #2 and #9.

Wind sensors can be adjusted (some years) BUT the rollup time will never be quick enogh to overcome sudden gusts.

Tying a Girard may give you a false sense of security and then by the time it is too windy you are in real trouble. Or a gust makes it start retracting while you can't get it untied fast enough.

Don't be afraid to use it, but be cautious. It's for shade in good wx...that's it.

It should also be wired with a positive off mode when engine is running...check it not all are!

I have had Girards for 20 years, worked with factory reps, and there are lots of owner and manuf induced damages out there over the years. NONE CHEAP!!!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We like having a power awning for the type of camping we do. When we're outside and need an awning, I extend it. When we're done, I put it in. I don't leave it out unnecessarily, overnight or when we're gone.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning