Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #1

Gnats

we have gnats. It is warm and humid here in Texas. We think they are locater in the grey water system, bath, kitchen. We have poured one gallon amonia down all drains ewith no luck. We keep pouring two tablespoonsvbaking soda and one cup regular vinager inthe grey water drains. We spray the trash conrainer after we put some thing into it. We have several cups of apple cider vinager setting nexr to the sink in both rooms. We smeared honey on bright yellow cards and caught ONE. the worstmatter of all is they want my Merlo. I hate to waste good wine on a cup trap and wonder what else we can try.
What have yor tried that works.?
AquaBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

Clorox wipes. Wipe everything down and poof they are gone. Do 2 applications to insure. Also pour Clorox down the drains
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #3

The first thing you need to do is find out where they're coming into the house. It's probably not through the sinks because there are "P" traps on each sink. I would look instead at a vent cap, which could have a loose fitting seal. To keep them from coming up from the sewer, put a loop in your sewer hose to create a "P" trap just after the waste valve and just before the slinky that supports the sewer hose off the ground. This will effectively block the gnats from invading the grey tank in the future, if the trap has water in it. I carry a jug of Home Defense with me and spray the inside of the sewer hook up, and the surrounding area, before hooking up to the sewer.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #4

gnats or sewer flies?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Clorox wipes. Wipe everything down and poof they are gone. Do 2 applications to insure. Also pour Clorox down the drains
DON'T MIX BLEACH AND AMMONIA TOGETHER!!! You will have more problems than gnats in your wine. If you have residual ammonia in your tanks adding bleach will create hydrochloric acid which will further break down into chloramine gas. These can be deadly combinations and at the very least it will be intolerable in the coach if any gas escapes the toilet or traps.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Here's a thought...... leave Texas.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #7

Gnat Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Here's a thought...... leave Texas.
Heh, heh, heh. Good thought but need grandson to enter into college first.

The "P" trap is logical.

The mixing of amonia and baking soda scares me. I am going to flush the tanks right now.

Thank you.
John
AquaBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By any chance do you keep live plants in the MH? If so Gnats love them, especially well watered ones.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I get this in my stick house now and then... the flies from the drains are not the same as the gnats on houseplants which are similar. Sewer flies like to lay eggs in the slime coating the pipes. I found keeping the drains covered in between uses helps for sewer flies... A half inch of sand on the top of the dirt in the house plant will discourage those fungus gnats that fly around houseplants or allowing the plant to dry out well between waterings. In both cases, moist environment and a food source were implicated. ( yes... if you were to remove the screen from your shower drain and stick your finger down there along the side, there would be a slime growing... mildew, or Lord knows what...)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We usually don't have much problem, but last week when I was mowing the yard the gnats got so bad I had to rip the seat out of my britches to keep them out of my face! Almost felt like I was back in Georgia!
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #11

Do you leave your grey valve open? This will cause gnats, sewer flys and other problems.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #12

Do you have a washing machine, and if you do, are you using it? The drain P Trap for the washer will dry out if you aren't using the washing machine. This leaves an open path for smells and what ever is growing "down there".
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #13

Heres what I do at home when we get an influx of the little buggers...You stated they love your Merlot...I will finish off a bottle and leave approx 1/4 cup (even less) in the bottle. Leave bottle out overnight with top open. In the morning when you get up, put your thumb over the top of the bottle and shake vigorously a couple of times. Wash hands and leave bottle on the table. Throughout the day, repeat this process for a day or two or three. Eventually all of the stray gnats should be drowned in the bottle . I did this once and counted over 35 gnats that had drowned in just two days. It gets rid of the 'loose' gnats hiding in your living space.
Of course this wont solve the problem if you have a source where they can multiply like a houseplant or piece of fruit left out in the open.
This way you loose a minimum of the precious wine we all enjoy so much.
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #14

If you leave bananas ripen too much you can end up with fruit Flys that resemble gnats. Find the source of entry ad someone prior stated. Good luck.