Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #1

Going back to a Motor Home from 5th wheel.

We recently had a fire in our 2011 Carriage Cameo and it was totaled. We have had Diesel and gas MH’s in the past and now that we are not sitting still as long and older we would just as soon switch now that we have nothing. We are having a difficult time deciding between the two. Price is a big consideration and my wife does not want a 40 ft. We know the difference in the ride and The cost to operate. So our dilemma is, is it worth the extra money for an older diesel as opposed to a newer gas. Any ideas or you opinions.
fishermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #2

I think you have to decide on modern interior with a new gas coach or dated interior with a diesel coach. Both have pros and cons.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
NXR

Another item to consider is that time wears things out. Up to five or maybe ten years old I might not worry about but it depends on how long you plan to keep it. Wiring, plumbing, etc. including similar for the engine and drivetrain.

Another consideration is specialty parts availability for the RV stuff, such as slide controllers, slide actuators, jacks, etc. I've read many posts from people extolling the virtue of buying an older, quality coach and then also seen posts from them asking where to find (fill in the blank) part for the house or for the chassis.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 02-17-2021, 09:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
My opinion , and it is just that, is I'd go with the older diesel. The best were built pre def, pre 2008. Some in earlier 2000's also have no EGR. You could find a sub 40 diesel with low milage and a good floor plan and have benefit of a better riding more powerfull quieter chassis and overall larger carrying and towing capicity.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:20 AM   #5

Just something else to look at "Storage". We moved from lgr. 5th wheel to a new gas MH 27' we like the floor plan. We soon realized that there was no storage comparted to the 5th wheel. It took us a year and half to find a great used coach 07 Itasca Meridian (diesel) with tons of storage. Yes the inside is dated however we kind of like the fabric furniture. Yes things can go wrong but then thats true with most.

The end choice if yours

Good Luck safe travels
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We dearly love our old Journey.
Solid chassis and engine and no DEF.
We have updated the interior with new flooring, and a new recliner with a small cabinet beside it replacing an old couch.
We've also recovered the cushions.
The DW has found some really nice covers to go over the other couch and bed.
We installed a Wineguard Traveler satellite dish and Dish TV.
The TVs are now flat screen and we also have a Blue Ray system.

You just take an older unit and change it to your style.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would take an older DP over a newer gasser any day of the week!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would take an older DP over a newer gasser any day of the week!
X2 but in under 40’ today there are some decent handling rigs once you spend several thousand dollars on them.

Having said that ^^^, no way would I buy a gas rig or one under 40’...made that expensive mistake and we stay mainly in Public CGs during the summer.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Remember 'free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it', but here's our experience. Had 5 gas coaches before going to diesel. Enjoyed the floor plans and the price, but disliked the noise, the low cargo capacity, the ride, and the mileage. Went to diesel and love the cargo capacity, the ride, and 25% better mileage.
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You're the only one that can make the decision as to what to buy. Our friends have a Cameo fifth wheel and it's a nice RV. It may be hard to match that quality.

You have to decide if hooking and unhooking a fifth wheel is getting too hard to do as you get older. I'm guessing you still have the truck you towed the Cameo with, so all you need is another trailer....a huge factor in cost, unless the truck is worn out.

Your Cameo fifth wheel had a lot of storage, but did you use all of that. I see some RVers that have every square inch of storage filled, while others open their bays and there are only two chairs.

Decisions, decisions.....there is no perfect RV.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes the inside is dated however we kind of like the fabric furniture.
Gotta admit I'm the same way. There's a kind of comfort with the dated stuff. Gives me a warm cozy feeling. But I also like pink flamingo's and yard balls too.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:17 AM   #12

I guess it depends on how you plan to use it. We spend several months traveling every summer. We rarely stay more than a week in one location. For that reason We prefer a DP for the comfort while moving. Went to a 40' to get the washer & dryer. For us that is a big plus item. As for the interior, were old and the older design is what we like. We have updated some but the basics are still the same. We are on our third year with our older Newmar and are quite pleased with it. Its a bare bones diesel and runs great. I keep some funds available for issues that I expect with an older coach, however, last year there were none. One other item I was looking for was only two slides. I wanted one side of the coach without slides to make getting in basement compartments easier for items used often.

This works well for us, but is not for everybody. Get what works for you.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #13

If your not in a big hurry, I am putting my 2002 Allegro Bus on the market in June. It is in great shape and I've done the typical "wear out" items. It is a 36 OP but you will need to search 2003 to see specs since this was a late year change over and wasn't a listed model until 2003.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #14

2019 Gas Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermark View Post
We recently had a fire in our 2011 Carriage Cameo and it was totaled. We have had Diesel and gas MH’s in the past and now that we are not sitting still as long and older we would just as soon switch now that we have nothing. We are having a difficult time deciding between the two. Price is a big consideration and my wife does not want a 40 ft. We know the difference in the ride and The cost to operate. So our dilemma is, is it worth the extra money for an older diesel as opposed to a newer gas. Any ideas or you opinions.
We researched and dreamed and wanted a motorhome for a really long time...we read the horror stories and we ultimately ended up ordering exactly what we wanted and we have been thrilled. We are not lifetime campers but we purchased ours in 2019 and we are multiple seasons in and we have been very happy with our Newmar Bay Star. Yes, we did have some small things that were fixed in our first year but none of them kept us from camping for completion. The bottom line is, nobody can answer what will work best for your family.

Tags
5th wheel, motor, motor home