Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 04:40 AM   #15

I too had the need for a 15k low profile penguin ac/heat pump. I called the parts manager at the factory that produced my class A.

I would suggest you call Red Bay and see if they can help you procure the correct AC. I wouldn’t drop back in capacity. You’ll need all you can get in the south west or east.
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 04:55 AM   #16

dont go to a 13.5 ac i had one and swaped it for a 15 k you can turn the 15 down but you cant turn a 13.5 up past its max.
dont beleave CW they just want your money. go on line and try to find one iam sure you can find a shop to instal it JMHO

DREAMER
FMCA 200924
push toy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:04 AM   #17

The 13K is a 10% reduction in cooling capacity relative to the 15k - 1,500BTU less than than the 15,000BTU unit. So it’s not a huge reduction, but on the other hand most class A RVs struggle to keep the front cabin cool. In a pinch I bet you could go with the 13K and do some insulating in cabinets, the front cap, add window blinds etc, and be at least as comfortable as with the previous 15k.

I don’t use the heat pump function much,so wouldn’t miss it. If you have shore power to run the heat pump, then you can run a fireplace and/or space heaters to generate warmth as well - electricity is fungible that way.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:10 AM   #18

There is no such thing as too much AC in an RV on a hot day.

I would go with the 15k Dometic.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlayden View Post

It needs a low profile HVAC
The 15,000s are back-ordered all over the country.
I can get a Dometic, but they seem to be problematic.
The CampingWorld repair rep suggests taking a Coleman 13500 as "there's not much difference", but I plan on traveling to AZ, Mexico, etc.
I was unaware that Dometic A/C units are any more problematic than other brands... always thought they were a good brand

I had Dometic in my previous RV trailer, and currently in my Newmar Class A... Never had an issue with any of my Dometic units...

Secondly, I wouldn't take advice from anybody at CampingWorld... That is based on my experience with them. From the advice you were given, I certainly wouldn't listen to anything that repair rep suggests...

IMHO... go with the 15K Dometic...
Old 05-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
What brand A/C did your coach come with? You need to be careful swapping A/C brands as they also must integrate with your furnace.
I would call PPL motor home parts. Their guys and gals are very knowledgeable and they have great prices. Dometic Penguin II 15k low profile heat pumps are currently on sale. Or, you might want to go with the Dometic Blizzard NXT and the new programmable CCCII thermostat.
800 755-4775
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...oleman-dometic
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
What brand A/C did your coach come with? You need to be careful swapping A/C brands as they also must integrate with your furnace.
I would call PPL motor home parts. Their guys and gals are very knowledgeable and they have great prices. Dometic Penguin II 15k low profile heat pumps are currently on sale. Or, you might want to go with the Dometic Blizzard NXT and the new programmable CCCII thermostat.
800 755-4775
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...oleman-dometic
I'm not sure I would trust PPL either. I had a horrible service experience with them that would have created a serious safety issue if I hadn't have double checked them when something didn't look right.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman