Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Yeah, but then her snoring would keep me awake! Oh wait..that'd be a good thing.
That's the "Autopilot Assistance Mode".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #44

I am happy no one is getting nasty on this thread on gas vs diesel. I personally have owned both and I see advantages to both. I think to each his own. Enjoy your very nice gas MH and if you prefer DP enjoy that! We all can have fun together. There are strong arguments to be made that neither is best and we should all be using 5th wheels. It really depends upon you, what you like, and what you can afford. I respect all those who want a gas class A or class c as much as those with million dollar DPs. We all do it for the lifestyle and travel opportunities it brings and we can all help each other. This site is awesome and very helpful to all; gas, DP, 5th wheel. Keep up the great comments and assistance. I love reading them! Be safe and keep it between the lines!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I am happy no one is getting nasty on this thread on gas vs diesel. I personally have owned both and I see advantages to both. I think to each his own. Enjoy your very nice gas MH and if you prefer DP enjoy that! We all can have fun together. There are strong arguments to be made that neither is best and we should all be using 5th wheels. It really depends upon you, what you like, and what you can afford. I respect all those who want a gas class A or class c as much as those with million dollar DPs. We all do it for the lifestyle and travel opportunities it brings and we can all help each other. This site is awesome and very helpful to all; gas, DP, 5th wheel. Keep up the great comments and assistance. I love reading them! Be safe and keep it between the lines!
I've had 2 gassers (one Thor). It's what we can afford. Entry level vs higher end is mostly the issues I've had - I suspect the Palazzo is a reasonable entry level Diesel if you go into it with eyes open.

The coach quality won't be as high and there may be more tweaks needed - I would say that a lot of the issues I've read about the coaches (gas and diesel) are related to dealer support - units sitting at the dealers "waiting for parts". My experience with both Thor and Tiffin is that both will help you and send you the needed parts directly. My particular dealership understands that I will call Tiffin/HWH/whoemever, figure out if/what parts are needed and I will show up with the parts, or have them shipped to the dealer and I WILL WAIT for the servicing to be completed. I have done some of the little repairs myself after calling Thor/Tiffin and receiving the parts.

Do your research. Get what you want. Be informed about service and your dealerships operations.

I'd love a diesel for my next rig - if there is a next one - but my current gasser is pretty nice and there's no need to rush. Been to AZ and to Florida from our home in MD. No issues on the trip. Glamping is a really nice way to go no matter if you have gas or diesel.

Have fun and keep us posted,

best,

Dave
Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I've had 2 gassers (one Thor). It's what we can afford. Entry level vs higher end is mostly the issues I've had - I suspect the Palazzo is a reasonable entry level Diesel if you go into it with eyes open.

The coach quality won't be as high and there may be more tweaks needed - I would say that a lot of the issues I've read about the coaches (gas and diesel) are related to dealer support - units sitting at the dealers "waiting for parts". My experience with both Thor and Tiffin is that both will help you and send you the needed parts directly. My particular dealership understands that I will call Tiffin/HWH/whoemever, figure out if/what parts are needed and I will show up with the parts, or have them shipped to the dealer and I WILL WAIT for the servicing to be completed. I have done some of the little repairs myself after calling Thor/Tiffin and receiving the parts.

Do your research. Get what you want. Be informed about service and your dealerships operations.

I'd love a diesel for my next rig - if there is a next one - but my current gasser is pretty nice and there's no need to rush. Been to AZ and to Florida from our home in MD. No issues on the trip. Glamping is a really nice way to go no matter if you have gas or diesel.

Have fun and keep us posted,

best,

Dave
Thanks, we got the Palazzo and it's our third coach. I really do like it and I find the quality not much different than the 2005 Pace Arrow we traded in for it. Like I posted earlier we took it out to North Platte, NE from our place east of Colorado Springs and the coach performed wonderfully. Almost half the trip was on two lane state highways and the only thing was the wind on the first day but living out here the wind is pretty much a daily thing.

The ride and handling where a lot better than i was used to with the Pace Arrow and especially the 1993 Pinnacle we had started with about 10 years ago. But my favorite two things are towing, I can't feel the toad jerk like I did before and the MPG's are double what we got towing with the Pace. And the fuel fill is a lot more convenient, the old coach the fill was in the back and could be a real POA.

Well tomorrow we head out for Alamosa, CO for the weekend, I'm looking forward to driving LaVeta Pass.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
I’m really glad you are enjoying your coach! These animals like to run I’ve found and somehow the trip just seems better out that big window. I’m also glad to see you made your own decision rather than taking opinions as gospel. If a person hasn’t owned or traveled in a particular brand/coach I tend to take generalized statements with a grain of salt. I think it boils down to each person has their own ideas and there are coaches out there for probably every one of them. Have a great time with it.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
good luck
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #49

Had 2 gas rigs, on my first DP. Would never go gas again. Would never consider a Thor product, based on conversations with those that purchased prior. 2 sides to every story. Good luck!
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
There are many positives on purchasing a DP.

We have been test driving some entry level DP as well. The one thing we have found is the entry level DP are not power houses like their big brothers. The coach your looking at is 20hp less than a V10 gas, you will have 200lb of torque more. But, you will be at a minimum 4,000 lbs heavier.

All the entry level DP we have driven I can honestly say our gasser drives about the same power wise, no noticeable difference in that one category to us. We were actually a little disappointed in that respect.

We have a close friend with an entry level Tiffin DP, he can not keep up with us in the smokey mountains and we certainly are not real fast.

Best of luck, enjoy your new ride!

Steve
We have the same thoughts here. Our 2017 THOR 29.3 weighs in around 18K and has no trouble getting up 4 to 6% grades, often passing DP. Cost to maintain is way cheaper but...... it does get a bit noisy when you have your foot in it. With some easy suspension mods, handles and rides/travels just fine. We too have friends with DP and say it's tough to get up some grades as fast as we go. And we pull a 3500 lb 2017 Honda Civic/tow dolly. Mind you, wouldn't it be great to have the quietness of the DP with independent front suspension but the great power and pulling speed of a gasser.....
Old 08-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
We have the same thoughts here. Our 2017 THOR 29.3 weighs in around 18K and has no trouble getting up 4 to 6% grades, often passing DP. Cost to maintain is way cheaper but...... it does get a bit noisy when you have your foot in it. With some easy suspension mods, handles and rides/travels just fine. We too have friends with DP and say it's tough to get up some grades as fast as we go. And we pull a 3500 lb 2017 Honda Civic/tow dolly. Mind you, wouldn't it be great to have the quietness of the DP with independent front suspension but the great power and pulling speed of a gasser.....
Power is no problem, just pulled the 4000# toad up LaVeta pass, and maintained 45 without pushing it. My gasser wouldn't have done that, and at 10 MPH, twice as good as the gasser I had.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:47 AM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also bear in mind some toads like mine is limited to 65 MPH by the manufacturer so if you pass anything with a toad don't automatically think you have more power.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:48 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correction 10 MPG,
Old 08-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #54

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I started this thread in May asking a simple question and I did get the answer to it. I also got a lot of options on other off topic items.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As for Thor quality, I've seen threads about all brands that had quality issues, the fact is you are only going to see the bad items posted, the people not having issues are out enjoying thier rigs. Also I posted on this thread that I did have gas coaches during the last 12 years of our RV adventure, I guess some didn't see that. My mistake for posting a question on the internet, the place where you can get opinions that aren't based on actual experience. So the mods and admin can go ahead and close this thread and go ahead and delete my account, I'm done with internet forums, well maybe except the Thor forum, those folks are great. Time to finish my coffee and break camp and head home.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains View Post
As for Thor quality, I've seen threads about all brands that had quality issues, the fact is you are only going to see the bad items posted, the people not having issues are out enjoying thier rigs. Also I posted on this thread that I did have gas coaches during the last 12 years of our RV adventure, I guess some didn't see that. My mistake for posting a question on the internet, the place where you can get opinions that aren't based on actual experience. So the mods and admin can go ahead and close this thread and go ahead and delete my account, I'm done with internet forums, well maybe except the Thor forum, those folks are great. Time to finish my coffee and break camp and head home.
I don’t think anyone is blasting you for your question Sir. As for Thor, glad it’s working out for you. I wasn’t so lucky with Thor but it is what it is. Enjoy your rig, and thx for your service!

Tags
gas