Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #15

I own a MN trucking company.....key is momentuem in moderation (to keep rolling), were you park (downhill) - park on an uphill and you are going nowwhere and make sure when you stop have traction underneath (to get your rig moving). Stop on an uphill incline on snow or ice....your warm tires melt in and you are stuck. Snow tires up here? haven't seen them. Make sure you have tread - don't run on skins......and a carefull slow speed driving to avoid slidding into an area that you can't get out of.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #16

You may like these. Have a look.
http://www.trucktireretreading.com/servlet/Categories

Double Coin RLB490 255/70r22.5 Mud,Snow Truck tires 16 PLY,25570225
Price: $324.00
This item is in stock

Top of Form

Quantity:

Bottom of Form

Brief Description
Detailed Description
Specifications
NEW 255/70r22.5 mud and snow truck tire, 25570225 RADIAL.RLB490... PREMIUM LOW PROFILE DRIVE POSITION MULTI USE TIRE... The RLB490 is a premium low profile drive-position tire. This multi-use low profile tire features a unique tread design for outstanding traction and even wear. This durable tire...
NEW255/70r22.5 mud and snow truck tire, 25570225 RADIAL.
RLB490
PREMIUM LOW PROFILE DRIVE POSITION MULTI USE TIRE

The RLB490 is a premium low profile drive-position tire. This multi-use low profile tire features a unique tread design for outstanding traction and even wear. This durable tire also features sidewall ribs designed to resist curb damage and abrasion.
§Innovative tread design and compounds promote excellent traction and resist regular wear
§Deep original tread depth provides maximum tread life
§Durable casing construction perfect for tough regional and urban use
Customers installing tires at our location may receive credit towards purchase for your old tires,contact Chicago Tire for details.
Technical Specifications
Size
25570R225
Size Clean
Static Load
Tread Depth (In 32nds)
Overall Diameter
Ply Rating
Rim Width
Section Width
Load Index
140/137
Tire Sidewall
BW
Load Range
H
Speed Rating
J
UTQG
NA
Mileage
NA
Max PSI Single
Max Load Single
Max PSI Dual
Max Load Dual
Wheel Size
Weight

Price is for 1 tire,wheel not included.
Reduced delivery rates are available if 4 or more tires are purchased, Commercial business
delivery will save even more,be sure to provide a zip code and the delivery location home or
business and the amount of tires you will purchase.Please contact us for more info.
Local pickup is available on all of our items.Contact to schedule pick-up date.
Installation also available at our location.
Local road service available.
Locations not classified as a commercial business are farms,home
businesses,schools,churches,state or government owned facilities,

If more help is needed contact Steve or Angela at 708-331-8980 weekdays Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Central Time.
Manufacturer: Double Coin
MPN: 1134905726
SKU: 1134905726
UPC: 1134905726

Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #17

DA_BUS good point about not stopping uphill. Even my car with full snows tends to get stuck on our 1% driveway sometimes cause of under-tire freeze.

Sidewinder, another good find, thanks. I imagine having a siping machine run over that would really make for something good. Only concern would be the ride, as it is clearly a full on truck tire.
frEEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcir View Post
you are just looking for trouble in the snow, bring a fat wallet to get towed out. I have seen motor homes in 90 degree weather stuck on wet grass at Nascar events.
Ha! That was us at the September Race in Richmond VA this year. We were the first one's into Lot J - and the first one's stuck! It was a wet, rainy few days before the race weekend, and RIR had to call in a fleet of tow trucks to pull people out of the wet, muddy grass. It didn't matter if you had a TT, 5th wheel, single or tag axle Class A. There were people stuck in just about every row.

For me, I was backing up to get a better position into our spot - going slowly, taking it very easy on the throttle, as I knew the ground was wet and no sooner did I roll back into the spot behind us, and I felt the back of the motorhome sink into the ground.

It didn't take much of a soft spot for us to get stuck in the mud ...

The TT in this photo AND the Tag Axle DP in the background got stuck as well. They had to call in the big rig, a 4 axle tow truck with a HUGE crane arm on the back, to pull out the DP

At least we didn't have to pay for the tow out - the towing companies charged the track for all the assistance. I am sure they made a bundle that weekend.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
School buses sometimes use a compressed air, automatic chain device to spin a chain under the wheel as you are traveling. It will cost you about $2K. I had it bookmarked and lost it. My guess is that it will lay down 6+ pieces of chain for each tire rotation.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #20

Excellent point about watching what you park on. Last winter we ran up the mountain with the chains (cables) on and pulled into a nice flat spot in RV park. Didn't pay attention to the hard packed snow we parked on. After 5 days the drive wheels had sunk so deep I couldn't get out even with the chains still on. Had to get the snow removal guy to pull me out with his end loader.

To the point of the original post, we have no trouble with our regular tires till chains required. Don't use jake or engine brake in slippery conditions or you will go sideways. Every manoeuvre with moderation.

Those Autosocks look awesome, but are not approved in all states. Here in CA we must have metal chains or cables to get past CHP.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #21

Scooter, I've seen 2 companies doing auto chains: Onspot and Insta-Chain. Very interesting concept, tho I do wonder just how well they work. Specifically, I worry if they are effective at slow speeds. I plan to augment my snow-stuck equipment with a few other tricks, including the towel trick and a traction board (long piece of material with rough surface on both sides).

LA-HODAG, can you expand on your experience a bit? Hearing from people who have actually dealt with this is the most valuable thing I can have. You running a big DP or a gas unit with 16" tires? What tires you run? Just how deep do you get? Been ok with hard packed/icy and 6" deep alike? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frEEk View Post
... auto chains: Onspot and Insta-Chain. Very interesting concept, tho I do wonder just how well they work.
I see a lot of fire trucks with the automatic chains....
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I don't know what your options are, my choice is not to drive in snow or ice. Not worth the expense of trying to do it...snow tires/chains, etc, or getting towed out after being stuck.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #24

Snow and ice are unfortunately an unavoidable part of the trip. Visiting ski resorts in the summer ain't quite as much fun
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Michelin XRV's. Plenty of traction in snow. I think 15000 lb on 4 tires is enough to move you forward. Even in the mud, I am amazed what a DP will climb out of by itself.
JCBBOUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #26

You have a truck shop run those thru a siping machine? Or you've actually had good luck in snow just as they are?
XRV don't come in the exact size I need unfortunately, but I imagine the 235/80's are an acceptable substitute (and would actually be better in snow per the narrower section).
Old 12-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #27

Freek, my snow experience was 7 years of 3 or 4 ski trips each year to Mammoth and Tahoe from LA in my Prevost bus which is pretty big. 40 ft w/ tag axel. I ran on Kumho KRS2 22.5tires which are equivalent to Michelein. Had to chain up about 10 times. Many times did not. I would only put on chains if required by CHP. Installing cable chains on the bus is easier than on a car. My new rig is 40 ft dp w/o tag and 10,000 lbs lighter than the bus. Not expecting much difference. Just got new cables for December trip.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
... to Mammoth and Tahoe...
Does Mammoth have RV skier parking or did you stay in town at the CG there which I think is open all year?
How about Tahoe?
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires