Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Good quality 5-10 year old RV for 50k?

My husband and I have our eyes set on full timing starting next year. We've done months and months of research. We were pretty settled on buying a 1-2 year old Newmar Bay Star or Canyon Star for around 100K (depending on what we could find when we were ready to purchase). From our research, we've feel Newmar is one of the highest quality coaches you can get. We are most concerned with quality because we plan to full time for 5-10 years.

However - we are also wanting to keep our costs low while we are on the road and unfortunately we do not have 100K of free cash, so we will be financing about 80% of whatever we buy. Given this reality, we're wondering if there's any way we can get closer to the 50K price point on an older RV and still get a high quality RV that won't break down every week and will last up to 10 years.

Are there older RV's that would fit the bill?
allgood718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

I don't know much about gas models but if considering a used DP I don't think you can go wrong with a used Monaco they were well built on a firm frame interior workmanship second to none and if find a well maintained 8-10 year old Monaco you will get many years of service from it. I am partial to Dynastys since have a side radiator I have a 2007 Beaver with a CAT 9 and am very pleased with it but more than $100K
Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #3

You should be able to find a nice 2005- 2009 gas powered Class A for about that $50,000 mark.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

My friend bought a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35U last summer for $30K. Nice rig

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

JMO, look at a Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
You should be able to find a nice 2005- 2009 gas powered Class A for about that $50,000 mark.
We are partial to the Winnebago brand. They have been around a long time, they must be doing something right.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
DJJ

Yes, Newmar is a great RV. Last May I bought my first motor home, a 2003 Dutch Star and paid $49K. It has been a great RV, only problem during the first year was a small oil leak from the air compressor. 40' has been very comfortable, we are not full timers but have used it for one 4 month trip and 2 three week trips during the first year. Getting ready to head out again in 2 weeks and don't plan to be back home until November. If you look around you can find a good deal on what you want, it took me 6 months of serious looking to find the one.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I purchased our 1999 Ultimate Freedom last year for 50k. I had to do a few things to it like dump valves and maintenance and just put new tires on it but it is a Rolls Royce of a RV.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I don't care if you purchase a 5 Y/O or a 15 Y/O coach you will have some problems just like a normal home. IF you step up to a DP you will get more quality and durability and drive ability for your dollar spent. If you get a gas coach with 50000 on it in 10 years you will have a 150000 and all but worn out. A diesel is just getting started. Plus the transmission will be one that will last. Also you will have an exhaust brake, a very helpful option on the mountain roads.You will be towing something to get around in and the diesel will do it better. One very seldom hears of an owner going from diesel to gas but almost always going from gas to diesel. The diesel coach's also have more storage than the gas rigs and this is really important to full timers. Monaco Newmar are two great options and you will for a little more than the $50000 be into a much better level of coach. Go to many RV shows and used dealers look and imagine living in this restricted space with all your belongings. Being careful and taking your time and you will find what you need and want to live in for the next 5 to 10 years. Also what seasons will you be RVing in? If anything in the winter range of temps look at a Hot water heating system(they are both diesel and electric) and much better in the cold weather plus unlimited hot shower water. Good Luck!

LEN
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
JMO, look at a Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
I found my 4th motorhome a 1998 Holiday Rambler last month. Original owner, every gas fill up logged including trip length and the time he left home and arrived back. Records of every ounce of fluid used/changed. A full file case of itemized service records.
Owner was asking 40k, I got it for 35k. It has 60k miles and new tires. I'd drive it to Alaska tomorrow, then hit the tip of Baja just to catch a Marlin. It has the 275 hp Cummins/Allison 6 speed.

I spent 14 months looking. Some of the newer coaches were shady, 3 owners, no records, just not right. In a pre owned coach the previous owners habits are far more important than the year of the coach to a point.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #11

Wife and I started full timing 8 weeks ago on our new to us 2003 Dutch Star and are VERY happy with our coach. We moved from 10 yrs full timing on our boat. Searched and researched for a year before finding this coach. Had 58,000 miles, climate controlled summer storage and covered winter storage in Fl. Coach and toad fully rigged to tow $67,000. Dealt with North Trails Rv in Ft Myers. Great experience. Our salesman Kyle Erp was excellent and very patient with us newbies. You can find good used DP's if you look. Don't give up!!
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality