Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #1

Good RV specific GPS Nav program for Android head unit?

I just installed a Joying 9" display Android head unit in my RV. It's got its own GPS antenna, so that I can navigate with it with no on line availability. I know there are various programs out there that I can use with it. Do any of you guys have any experience with any of these programs that you can recommend? I'm interested in one that you can enter the length, weight, height, etc of the rig and it takes all that into account with routing.

I'd like the same or similar capabilities of the better Garmin units, without having to stick the Garmin to the top of the dash. That's why I bought this head unit.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #2

I just use Google Maps and Waze.
The key is to use the option to store a trip in memory of the head unit so when you travel outside of cellular data range, you will still have the area available for navigation where you are going.

Google map data is as good as any (and probably the best). When cellular connected (which is most travel time), getting alerts of accidents, road stoppages, and radar traps, rerouting options is great stuff.

But today Google Maps doesn't by default provide RV height / weight assistance (that I have seen). There are other web apps that provide help (low bridges, incline of roads, weight limits) but I haven't seen all that integrated into a web map.

Others on this forum advise that they plan a trip using tools like Google Earth to view where they plan on going and if there are obstacles in the way that affect RVing (can I get into that fuel station with my rig?)

The topic is one I have thought about that some slick software development would be handy for...but Google Maps commercial license isn't cheap so the end result wouldn't be cheap so I haven't spent too much time pondering what and how to integrate into the killer RV navigation app. All the data to do that is available. Even on this website users put together best campgrounds on a google map. And there is plenty of bridge data available. I just haven't found it all integrated nicely (but haven't spent too much time looking yet).

If there was a market for a premium webbased map, then I would look deeper.

I assume Navteq has an Android map but I haven't looked into that. Note that map data consumes tons of storage. Consider how much internal memory your head unit has and if the map app will use USB stick memory instead.

I have Google Maps integrated into my "digital Dashboard" now which makes it easy to access and view with least driver distraction.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:33 PM   #3

Thanks David. My concern, especially being relatively new to this, is ending up on a route that my rig won't fit on, either by height (most likely) width or weight. I know the new Garmins do a pretty good job of avoiding this once you program size and weight limits into them, but I really don't want to avoid having yet another electronic box perched on top of the dash.

I contacted CoPilot, which apparently is owned by Trimble, to see if their program would run on a Android head unit. What I got back was this:

Thank you for contacting CoPilot Support.
We have received a lot of interest regarding Android Auto from our users and so thought we’d provide an update.
Google's Android Auto platform currently does not provide support for third party GPS navigation app developers. For now users of this platform are limited to using only its pre-installed navigation app.
If you would like to see CoPilot as a compatible app for Android Auto, we ask you to join us in requesting Google open up their Android Auto to CoPilot via their feedback page at https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6377918?hl

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Regards,

CoPilot Support

Anyone familiar with how to navigate with one of these Android units? I'll use Waze and Google Maps as I usually do as a primary Nav source, but when we're out west I know there will be places that have no cell service and having a reliable GPS on board unit will be reassuring.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #4

I use "Sygic Truck" app. It has an RV mode and allows you to enter weight, length width and height of your RV. We navigated from Vancouver to San Diego and back and it was awesome.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
I use "Sygic Truck" app. It has an RV mode and allows you to enter weight, length width and height of your RV. We navigated from Vancouver to San Diego and back and it was awesome.
Roadfrog, that's great information. Did you install it on a Android head unit? How hard was the installation? I saw a YouTube put out by Joying, the maker of my head unit, about how to install that very product, Sygic. The way they installed it was super confusing. They used a thumb drive, downloaded the program to the drive by computer, then put the drive into the head unit, went back to the computer and deleted some files, back to the head unit again and so on. It looked way more complicated than I am used to doing. How did you do it?
Old 08-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Roadfrog, that's great information. Did you install it on a Android head unit? How hard was the installation? I saw a YouTube put out by Joying, the maker of my head unit, about how to install that very product, Sygic. The way they installed it was super confusing. They used a thumb drive, downloaded the program to the drive by computer, then put the drive into the head unit, went back to the computer and deleted some files, back to the head unit again and so on. It looked way more complicated than I am used to doing. How did you do it?
Sorry, no I do not have any info on Android HU install. I use min on an Android tablet. Do you have Android Auto on your HU?
Old 08-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
Sorry, no I do not have any info on Android HU install. I use min on an Android tablet. Do you have Android Auto on your HU?
It's got Android on the head unit. Is Android all the same or is there a normal version and a auto version?

EDIT - I just looked up the specs, it's an "Octa Core" Intel Airmont 1.8GHZ SC9853i with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM. It's loaded with Android 8.1.0. Not one word of that makes any sense whatsoever to me!
Old 08-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
It's got Android on the head unit. Is Android all the same or is there a normal version and a auto version?

EDIT - I just looked up the specs, it's an "Octa Core" Intel Airmont 1.8GHZ SC9853i with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM. It's loaded with Android 8.1.0. Not one word of that makes any sense whatsoever to me!
It does get confusing. I think this may help you: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-unit-t3206181

I use Android Auto on my aftermarket HU in my truck. It allows me to use the HU as though it had all the Android stuff built into it by using my phone as the source for phone contacts, Spotify etc, play lists, voice recognition, Nav, and so on. Theoretically your Android HU has that all built in, though this is better in theory than in practice. I also have Android Auto it in my Taurus SHO system, even though it has all the stuff you'd find on a phone because Android Auto is better IMHO. Android Auto is basically the same as Apple Carplay.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #9

Argh, I just don't get this tech stuff. As far as you can tell based on the specs I wrote above, with the Sygic Truck nav app work on my head unit?
Old 08-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Thanks David. My concern, especially being relatively new to this, is ending up on a route that my rig won't fit on, either by height (most likely) width or weight. I know the new Garmins do a pretty good job of avoiding this once you program size and weight limits into them, but I really don't want to avoid having yet another electronic box perched on top of the dash.

I contacted CoPilot, which apparently is owned by Trimble, to see if their program would run on a Android head unit. What I got back was this:

Thank you for contacting CoPilot Support.
We have received a lot of interest regarding Android Auto from our users and so thought we’d provide an update.
Google's Android Auto platform currently does not provide support for third party GPS navigation app developers. For now users of this platform are limited to using only its pre-installed navigation app.
If you would like to see CoPilot as a compatible app for Android Auto, we ask you to join us in requesting Google open up their Android Auto to CoPilot via their feedback page at https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6377918?hl

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Regards,

CoPilot Support

Anyone familiar with how to navigate with one of these Android units? I'll use Waze and Google Maps as I usually do as a primary Nav source, but when we're out west I know there will be places that have no cell service and having a reliable GPS on board unit will be reassuring.

Copilot customer support got it wrong. They are thinking you are asking about Android Auto. Copilot will run perfectly fine in your head unit. It is about the best nav app for RV friendly navigation. In the very unlikely situation it does not work they should give you your money back.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Copilot customer support got it wrong. They are thinking you are asking about Android Auto. Copilot will run perfectly fine in your head unit. It is about the best nav app for RV friendly navigation. In the very unlikely situation it does not work they should give you your money back.
That's what I couldn't understand, Larry. I wasn't getting why a head unit running Android 8.1 is any different than a phone or tablet running Android. Thanks for that!
Old 08-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #12

Android OS is what your head unit is running on. Android Auto is an application that allows an Android phone to run the app and the display appears on the head unit (which may or may not be running Android OS).

Android Auto was designed to accommodate auto OEMs that wanted to run applications that people enjoy on their smartphone but without opening the door for an app developer to create a user interface that is driver distracting. So, all approved (by the auto OEM) applications run a user interface that meets certain criteria that OEMs (and Google) approved.

If you look at the Bluefire On Board Diagnostic device iRV2 thread, there are a lot of examples of user interfaces created by the RV owner and being used in RVs that would never be approved by an auto OEM (or NHTSA either). Highly driver distracting....

Yes, CarPlay is similar in function to Android Auto but the app runs on an iPhone.

I implemented both CarPlay and Android Auto for FCA vehicles when I was with FCA's Uconnect group. Launched first with Ferrari. Worked deeply with Apple and Google on the core capability of both platforms. A lot of tug of war trying to move an old school auto OEM into the SmartDevice world of the smart phone companies but not allowing the smart phone companies to take advantage financially of the auto OEM and customer. And do our best to ensure the customer doesn't crash due to a silly user interface.

What you are looking for is a navigation app that will run on Android OS (not Android Auto).

And yes, most of the newer Joying Android OS head units also support Android Auto. I personally don't have a need for that as I have custom built all of my needs into my own software application (the user interface displays within the Chrome Browser).

I'll check out copilot as well. It should run on your Android OS Joying head unit.

Interested if that will integrate well with my software...

""Octa Core" Intel Airmont 1.8GHZ SC9853i with 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM. It's loaded with Android 8.1.0."
That's kinda like saying the head unit has "eight cylinders" (to put that into automotive terminology) who's engine was built by Intel. The model is Airmont and the "engine" develops 1.8 Horsepower (GHZ is speed of calculations). The SC9853i is the "engines" (CPU) part number. The 4GB Ram is how much memory size is available for an application when the application is running, and the 64GB ROM is the size of the "fuel tank" ie: how much storage for apps and data and media can be stored within the head unit memory.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:32 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I do not use RV Trip Wizard. Lots of positive reviews online and if you setup your trip on your computer you can import the route into google maps.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Have a Garmin 770. With that said, I sometimes use Google maps. Switch to satellite view. If you see semis on the road, it probably means you are good to go. If you don't see any semis, be leary. The NE is notorious for having bridges around 12 feet.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps