Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #43

Just got a quote from Geico and may make the move.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Just wanted to update as I got my yearly renewal from National General. They did go up, but only $42. Not seeing consistently bad reviews on claims within this thread so I may just renew with them as it is certainly easier than starting over. Unfortunately, our options are limited in our state for any insurance including car, home and RV. Home is particularly tough and even Amica, who's headquarters is here, won't take out home due to its proximity to the ocean.

Also, I tried to get a quote by The Hartford, but when I checked that I was not a member of AARP they kicked me out and won't quote the coach.

I would recommend calling in instead of using the computer for a quote. Have a written list of specific questions you want to ask. If they can't answer them definitively, ask to speak to a supervisor.

When I called, I wasn't an AARP member either. They asked if I was, I said no, they said you can join on your own, or we can sign you up. I would recommend signing up yourself, and setting your privacy settings as you set up your membership, otherwise you will end up on EVERYONE's junk mail list!

Two years with them now, one windshield claim, one comprehensive for awning damage, great service, cheap rates, good customer service.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #45

But I don't want to join AARP and it appears to be a requirement.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #46

Quote:
But I don't want to join AARP and it appears to be a requirement.

Yep, their insurance, their rules. Join AARP or shop elsewhere unfortunately. For me, the savings of around $700 compared to Progressive made the decision for me!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #47

I personally dislike AARP. But I joined anyway a long time ago. Just for the car and RV insurance.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #48

Maybe I will get an online quote and just say I'm a member to see what the rate is.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Maybe I will get an online quote and just say I'm a member to see what the rate is.
Personally I would speak to a representative, tell them if the quote is satisfactory, you will join AARP and bind the insurance. That's what I did, the quote was great, I joined, and have renewed once. Great price, great service, something I did not get with Progressive, and Good Sam (Nat'l General).
Old 05-02-2017, 05:12 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a similar experience with AARP - The Hartford. I purposely wasn't an AARP member (for a number of reasons) but submitted my request for a quote. When I got the quote, I quickly became a member based on saving at least $700 per year. Haven't looked back and I've had 2 windshield claims in the past 24 months.

So I am a reluctant AARP but saving a bunch of $s with solid insurance. Oh well.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:46 AM   #51

Tried to call, only thing I got was the web site to fill out an application. Tried online again stating I was am AARP member, still wouldn't quote. Since many companies won't write insurance in Rhode Island, I suspect this might be true for them as well.

Update: Just got through on the phone, with no member number they won't even talk to me even though I was considering moving the coach, two cars and the house. Can't stand AARP to start with, this doesn't help with my loathing of the organization. Guess I will move on.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
My experience with Camping World (AKA Good Sam) leads me to avoid anything associated with them.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #53

I had a claim through National General June 2016. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST EXPERIENCE. Long story, his fault- pa inspection out of date- also he was sited for following to close and had pa state minimum coverage $5,000. $13,000 in damages. I filed the claim through my insurance to speed up repaires and had to pay deductable out of pocket. National General did everything to delay repairs. The accident was in june didn't get the check until late September after screaming into phone at the ajusters supervisor. Renewal was in May went with Nationwide through FMCA.
RVH.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #54

Right now, Geico is quite a bit less than NG and they seem to have much better reviews. I am a FMCA member, but don't recall which will write in my state. I do recall that it was limited when I contacted FMCA. Will research again though.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Read the Progressive (or any other company's) policy carefully before deciding to buy. Progressive excludes any damage from vermin. I had some sort of rodent chew up my engine wiring harness. Cost me $2,500 with no insurance coverage by Progressive. Now have State Farm - no claims experience to report.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #56

I have a 2004 Newmar Essex. I was told by AARP (Hartford) they wouldn't insure my coach because it's too old. Does anyone know if this is correct or did I get a rep. That doesn't know what he is talking about?
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, national