Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Does anyone have any experience with the Good Sam Extended Service Plan?
I joined the Good Sam Roadside Service and then this popped up after completing my registration and so thought "what the heck?" I'll get a quote. The price quoted was only for one year but the rep "says" the rate will remain unchanged for 3 years,but he won't put that in writing. So, any feed back would be welcome.
Bob
RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, we've used the GS Roadside Service since 2001, but I've never been a fan of extended warranties. I know that they pay off for some folks, but that's a lot of money to gamble on!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

Try to remember this one and only key phrase, It's better to be a broken part than a warn out part. They're service plans only cover stuff that is broken. The plan we have (cost us about $4700.00 for 3 yrs/36k) has a $100.00 deductible and there have been a lot of times the repairs were under a Hundred Bucks. We have one more year left to deal with and we haven't had $4700.00 worth of repairs yet. But, its a nice feeling knowing its there if needed.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the response. Based on comments on this forum I was not going to consider one. Then I read the post from the guy who dropped a valve on an ISX650 (which is the same engine I have). I contacted him by e-mail and he said his is still in the shop with the cost expected to be around $25,000. That made my hair stand on endSo am now thinking maybe not so much a waste of money...
Old 12-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Actually, after doing a better search on here, I found a ton of info. I think it safe to say there is no clear cut answer to either buying an extended warranty or not,as well as if the Good Sam Warranty is a good value. So far I have only come across 3 or 4 owners with the ISX650 that have had a problem. That probably is not a very large percentage to get nervous about. So I think I'll go the way of not spending the extra money on one, and just stay on top of my maintenance & service.
Bob
Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
Actually, after doing a better search on here, I found a ton of info. I think it safe to say there is no clear cut answer to either buying an extended warranty or not,as well as if the Good Sam Warranty is a good value. So far I have only come across 3 or 4 owners with the ISX650 that have had a problem. That probably is not a very large percentage to get nervous about. So I think I'll go the way of not spending the extra money on one, and just stay on top of my maintenance & service.
Bob
Hi Bob,

Decisions - decisions.............

We just purchased a new-to-us 2002 Newmar, Dutch Star, DP. The coach has just turned 12K on the odometer - so as far as drive train - it's a new coach! The inside is spotless and all "systems" work.

But I have no idea of the maintenance that has been done on the coach, no records came with it.

I am not one for extended warranties and rarely purchase them for anything.

Now we have a new motor home, hasn't been used for 12 years, so "stuff" will more than likely break rather than be worn out.

Then I thought of the one extended warranty I did purchase on a new Corvette. Never used it until it had 2 weeks left on it - at that repair - it paid for itself.

The Good Sam Extended Warramty is expensive, and yes, they do promise the rate will remain the same for 3 years (I believe it is in my contract). I figured for at least a year, I'll take the coverage, have peace of mind, while I figure this coach out.

It works for us..............it is whatever you are comfortable with.

Merry Christmas,

Good luck,

Glenn
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #7

I am also currently looking at the same plan from GS. I have a 2003 gasser with 35k miles, so it seems like a prudent purchase on an older MH. For under $1500 a year, it seems like it could be worthwhile.
Still assessing it though.
windsong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #8

There are some, that includes me, who had nothing but trouble with GS. I cancelled my policy with them over two years ago and went with www.wholesalewarranties.com Have had nothing but great service from them, and they were cheaper.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a Good Sam warranty on a used Sightseer. The cost was $5,000 for five years, prorated if dropped early. The air conditioner failed which GS paid for a new one, about $1,000. One year after the GS purchase we bought another coach and received a $3,700 check. For us the GS warranty was good. We even purchased a GS warranty on our new coach. NO insurance is worth the money unless you are one of the unfortunates that needs it. You are not purchasing a warranty because it makes economic sense. You are making this purchase for peace of mind.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #10

We have a Good Sam Extended Service Plan and have had it for maybe six years. I have had a couple of claims and they treated me very well and fairly. First, the work was done at a Camping World facility and they worked with Good Sam where maybe an independent facility might have had some problems, but that is pure speculation. Secondly, I will probably discontinue that policy next year,as was mentioned above, my experience over a number of years has been that I am better off by insuring myself. I have owned this motor home for four years now and am very comfortable with its reliability. I keep a fairly large amount of cash set aside to cover such problems and it no longer makes sense to lay out $2,000/year for this coverage. Again,Good Sams treated me well, it just no longer makes sense to have that coverage.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #11

Put the $$ in a MH Kitty, Warranty Companies are in business to make $$.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #12

Yes, all businesses are in business to make money. What's wrong with that?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Hi Bob,

Decisions - decisions.............

We just purchased a new-to-us 2002 Newmar, Dutch Star, DP. The coach has just turned 12K on the odometer - so as far as drive train - it's a new coach! The inside is spotless and all "systems" work.

But I have no idea of the maintenance that has been done on the coach, no records came with it.

I am not one for extended warranties and rarely purchase them for anything.

Now we have a new motor home, hasn't been used for 12 years, so "stuff" will more than likely break rather than be worn out.

Then I thought of the one extended warranty I did purchase on a new Corvette. Never used it until it had 2 weeks left on it - at that repair - it paid for itself.

The Good Sam Extended Warramty is expensive, and yes, they do promise the rate will remain the same for 3 years (I believe it is in my contract). I figured for at least a year, I'll take the coverage, have peace of mind, while I figure this coach out.

It works for us..............it is whatever you are comfortable with.

Merry Christmas,

Good luck,

Glenn
Same thing...Older coach (03) with low miles. I am more concerned with age than wear. Seals, gaskets and even plastic parts just simply dry out and break from age. And if just one of those seals is of the motor variety, it makes the warranty worthwhile. And even if not, its still some form of piece of mind.
windsong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post

Even if the original owner leaves all the service info the dealer destroys it most of the time. They don't want you to be able to contact the previous owner. Even ran into that with Monaco, was looking at a used one and they refused to even send me the build sheet on it, stating it was a privacy issue. If we were to buy the unit they MIGHT release the info but it was on an individual RV basis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service