Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #1

Good Sam Extended Service Plan

While I believe extended warranties are a losing bet, I will be buying a Class A, used, out of warranty, in the near future... I'm actively looking...

I will be buying at a price that would make it hard to absorb a major failure... such as a blown engine, Transmission, or generator..

I saw the Good Sam Extended Service Plan and it seems to cover almost all the scenarios that would cause a hardship to remedy..

I like the fact that the plan is for a year, and can be renewed as wanted/needed...

I'm thinking that a high deductible plan for a year, will give me a good buffer in case something pops up that was missed during inspections....

I searched, but couldn't find anything specifically on this plan and if anyone has had a good or bad experience with them.

So..... Any experience/feedback on the Good Sam Extended Service Plan....???
hattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What's the cost for a year?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
While I believe extended warranties are a losing bet, I will be buying a Class A, used, out of warranty, in the near future... I'm actively looking...

I will be buying at a price that would make it hard to absorb a major failure... such as a blown engine, Transmission, or generator..

I saw the Good Sam Extended Service Plan and it seems to cover almost all the scenarios that would cause a hardship to remedy..

I like the fact that the plan is for a year, and can be renewed as wanted/needed...

I'm thinking that a high deductible plan for a year, will give me a good buffer in case something pops up that was missed during inspections....

I searched, but couldn't find anything specifically on this plan and if anyone has had a good or bad experience with them.

So..... Any experience/feedback on the Good Sam Extended Service Plan....???

Pay monthly, anytime they disappoint you stop paying. Easier than getting a pro-rated refund.

I did a $1000 deductible & monthly is less than $80. For Class A gas.

BTW it is an insurance policy, not at all like the previous warranties that were pedaled in the past.

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #4

Thanks for replies...

I'm looking for a Newmar 3920 (Class A gas/ F53 26K chassis)... I need the garage for a Harley or two, but even when no bikes accompany us, the garage is the "bedroom/hangout" for two Great Danes...

I made an offer on a 2011 with 17K miles and Good Sam had an online quote of: $1096/year $91/month w- $1K deductible
$1915/year $160/month w-$500 deductible
$3372/year $281/month w- $250 deductible.

I'll be in the market for a $1K deductible, I can fix many/most things myself, but the policy would be for major repairs....
Old 02-04-2020, 03:53 AM   #5

My only advise is look for the exceptions. Make sure it covers major mechanical failures for engine, transmission, etc. The big ticket items. I've found that in a lot of those warranties if it's not bumper to bumper they specifically state what they will and won't cover. Just make sure that the coverage is for those big cost items. I bet it doesn't cover those.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:04 AM   #6
EJW

We purchased the GS Extended Coverage with Drivetrain/Engine coverage when we bought our Class C Jayco from CW. I believe at the same deductible level as what you're looking at. Seems like reasonable insurance. Sadly, I am not mechanically fit to do many repairs.

We haven't needed it yet, fortunately.

I never saw the need for these warranties until my wife's fairly new, low mileage BMW required major engine gasket repair and needed a door unlock sensor. We purchased BMW's warranty. The out-of-pocket costs would have been much higher than the warranty cost. Saved a ton of money. My hope is the GS Extended Coverage would do the same.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #7

Good points made by many.... I appreciate the feedback

I have looked over the policy and they list what's included and what's not.....

Most exclusions seem to be wear items that I would not expect to be covered...

Included in the engine:
All internally-lubricated parts including pistons, pins, and rings
Connecting rods and bearings
Crankshaft and main bearings
Camshaft, followers and cam bearings
Push rods, valves, springs, guides, seats and lifters
Rocker arms, shafts and bushings
Timing gear, chain or belt, tensioners and retainers
Eccentric shaft
Oil pump
Engine head(s), engine block and cylinder barrels
Turbo Charger
Water pump
Mechanical fuel pump
Oil pan
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Engine mounts and cushions
Engine torque strut
Timing Cover
Valve cover(s) harmonic balancer
Flywheel (flexplate) and flywheel ring gear
Vacuum pump
Dipstick and tube
All pulleys

It would seem to cover the serious/major issues that could cost a bundle if they popped up..

The same type of coverage applies to all other categories...
Chassis coverage; Engine, Transmission, Drive axle, Suspension, Steering, Dash A/C, Brakes, Electrical, Heating/cooling, and Fuel system.

Coach coverage; water heater, waste system, fresh water system, roof or basemanet A/C, Range & Oven, LP gas, coach heating, Refrigerator, Generator, Electrical, OEM jacks, slide-out units, power step, and Entertainment Package

I'm just looking for some piece if mind for the major issue that pops up in the first year or two of ownership, that would be hard for me to handle out of pocket....

The policy looks good for that, especially the monthly payments and ability to renew or cancel at my discretion..

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually used the policy to see if it's as user friendly as they claim... or if you need to fight tooth & nail to get anything covered...
Old 02-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
Good points made by many.... I appreciate the feedback

I have looked over the policy and they list what's included and what's not.....

Most exclusions seem to be wear items that I would not expect to be covered...

Included in the engine:
All internally-lubricated parts including pistons, pins, and rings
Connecting rods and bearings
Crankshaft and main bearings
Camshaft, followers and cam bearings
Push rods, valves, springs, guides, seats and lifters
Rocker arms, shafts and bushings
Timing gear, chain or belt, tensioners and retainers
Eccentric shaft
Oil pump
Engine head(s), engine block and cylinder barrels
Turbo Charger
Water pump
Mechanical fuel pump
Oil pan
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Engine mounts and cushions
Engine torque strut
Timing Cover
Valve cover(s) harmonic balancer
Flywheel (flexplate) and flywheel ring gear
Vacuum pump
Dipstick and tube
All pulleys

It would seem to cover the serious/major issues that could cost a bundle if they popped up..

The same type of coverage applies to all other categories...
Chassis coverage; Engine, Transmission, Drive axle, Suspension, Steering, Dash A/C, Brakes, Electrical, Heating/cooling, and Fuel system.

Coach coverage; water heater, waste system, fresh water system, roof or basemanet A/C, Range & Oven, LP gas, coach heating, Refrigerator, Generator, Electrical, OEM jacks, slide-out units, power step, and Entertainment Package

I'm just looking for some piece if mind for the major issue that pops up in the first year or two of ownership, that would be hard for me to handle out of pocket....

The policy looks good for that, especially the monthly payments and ability to renew or cancel at my discretion..

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually used the policy to see if it's as user friendly as they claim... or if you need to fight tooth & nail to get anything covered...
My comment and opinion is that you should talk to other warranty companies.
Check the stats and ratings on Wholesale Warranties company....They have been in business for a very long time and have a very good reputation and good ratings......
On this forum, check out comments and posts, involving this company.
First thing they do is, have your rig inspected, (at no charge to you) then they give you an estimate on terms and payments..... They need to know what they are insuring before they commit to a price rang.....and at that point, you can take it or leave it......

Just my $0.02..
Old 02-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

I strongly advise you to go to RV.net (or the forum portal with GoodSam.com) and jump to the GSRA forum threads (Good Sam Roadside Assistance), Good Sam Insurance, and Good Sam Extended Service Plan forums and begin reading. Just do it and let the site speak for itself.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #10

Good Sam Extended Service Plan is completely different than Good Sam Roadside Assistance. They're administered by two different companies. I have both for our fifth wheel and needed to use them in December for our trip. The road side guys couldn't find their butt with a flashlight and I gave up on them all together (my insurance road side paid for the tow). Because of that, I submitted a claim after the fact with ESP. They were cordial and understanding on the phone and walked me through the submittal process. I submitted the paperwork via email and answered a few follow up questions. They paid the entire claim less deductible with no fuss.

You need to make your own call on whether they make sense financially, but I'm happy with mine.
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
You need to include seals and gaskets in the coverage....can make a difference in case of major component failure...GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #12

I'm in the exact same boat....purchasing a used 2018 Bounder gas motorhome. Just want some protection in the event of a MAJOR issue and to make sure I am not inheriting any of them. Let me know what you end up with.
mromberg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #13

Something to keep in mind, all extended warranty companies will balk at major failures laying the cause off to a faulty seal or gasket which is not covered and there fore the rest of the damage is not covered. I've was in the car business over 30 years and saw this first hand more times than I can remember. Good Sam is one of the worst at this.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #14

Thank you all.... good info...

Time for a little more research.....

Tags
service