Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #29

LOOK ELSEWHERE, We bought the plan the beginning of June with hopes of a long trip to Texas for our 2002 Southwind, moved the Motorhome out of the winter parking spot up the driveway then backed it down to move our other cars around, then it would not move forward or back, Blocking the driveway. I checked it out and asked questions here got lots of good suggestions before calling for a tow using Good Sam Road side Assistance and calling Good Sam ESP after getting a call from the Ford dealer about the repair he stated that they(Good Sam ESP) were not going to cover it. Because I had not driven the Motorhome yet (Yes, I had the coverage prior to) they said it was already broken, I tried to explain that it moved I drove it (Just not on the road yet) so it was not broken and they were welcome to come out and look where it was stuck, then they would realize that there is now way it could have been broken down there.The man said "We are not going to send someone out to look and they were not going to cover it". Ford is saying that it will cost us 3800.00 to get a new Transmission. Not sure I would use Good Sam ESP if I had to do it again. After spesking with the Insurance Company I called Good sam back and tried to explain,they said it seems it should be covered ,but they can't change the decision of the Insurance Co., only appeal after the repairs are completed and submitting receipts, she said don't count on any changes being made. The Insurance Company is Farmers Union. Who knows make sure you are ready to drive before you purchase coverage so you don't end up with two bills. Good Luck
pthopwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthopwood View Post
LOOK ELSEWHERE, We bought the plan the beginning of June with hopes of a long trip to Texas for our 2002 Southwind, moved the Motorhome out of the winter parking spot up the driveway then backed it down to move our other cars around, then it would not move forward or back, Blocking the driveway. I checked it out and asked questions here got lots of good suggestions before calling for a tow using Good Sam Road side Assistance and calling Good Sam ESP after getting a call from the Ford dealer about the repair he stated that they(Good Sam ESP) were not going to cover it. Because I had not driven the Motorhome yet (Yes, I had the coverage prior to) they said it was already broken, I tried to explain that it moved I drove it (Just not on the road yet) so it was not broken and they were welcome to come out and look where it was stuck, then they would realize that there is now way it could have been broken down there.The man said "We are not going to send someone out to look and they were not going to cover it". Ford is saying that it will cost us 3800.00 to get a new Transmission. Not sure I would use Good Sam ESP if I had to do it again. After spesking with the Insurance Company I called Good sam back and tried to explain,they said it seems it should be covered ,but they can't change the decision of the Insurance Co., only appeal after the repairs are completed and submitting receipts, she said don't count on any changes being made. The Insurance Company is Farmers Union. Who knows make sure you are ready to drive before you purchase coverage so you don't end up with two bills. Good Luck
That's scary. Your transmission just went south coming out of storage?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #31

98 Coachmen Santara

It appears mine is to old.
cae2583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with Dixieray. I have a 2004 Journey and recently needed some work and having an informed service center handle the claim saved me $$$. They seem expensive until you have a major problem....@$100 per hour it does not take long to use up an annual premium.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #33

Good Sam Extended Service

As you can see from the posts, all plans have their issues. Good Sam is no exception. They will use any loophole they can to deny a claim. I have canceled mine cause it's cheaper to just pay.
popnascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
some hard and fast information about good sam. I bought the Platinum plan ( I think that is what it was called) three years coverage and it covers just about everything in the coach. I bought a used unit and I had no clue what could have been wrong with it and made to run just long enough to get it to my house. an transmission replacement or heaven forbid diesel rebuild would have made the 5000.00 very cheap insurance. I bought good sam and three weeks after I bought the unit a high pressure line cracked. the motor only had 3000 miles so that was just one of those things that happens. I called good sam tow service then called the warranty people. The warranty unit could not find my number and told me they did not have me in the system. It was after 7:00 by this time and my dealer was not open. The tow people had some issues with getting a tow vehicle. So basically the unit sat beside the road. ( I bailed out and drove home because I was only an hour into the trip) The next morning I called my dealer about the not in the system issue and they informed me that sometimes it took 30 days to get in the system. Roadside service sent me out a mechanic and he found an old line in his shop with right fittings and bent it into a shape where he could mount it as a temp repair to get me on the road again. When monday came he ordered the new part and after it came in I took the rv to him to get it replaced. When he was finished I called the warranty service to see how they wanted to pay for it. They lookd again and said that I was still not in the system. I went ahead and paid the 600.00 repair bill. I called my dealer and said for 5000.00 I wanted my warranty service in effect right now. The next day I called good sam warranty and they had me in the computer I asked about reimbursement and was told that the mechanic had not called and been given the ok to make the repair so they would not pay it. I pointed out that I had tried to call several times before the mechanice touched it and that they did not have me in the computer. It was not my fault they took so long to get me in but I had the warranty in effect when I paid for it and the mechanic or me could not get the ok for the repairs. I probably was not as calm during the actual discussion. I was told to send in a letter explaining the circumstances with a copy of the invoice and they would review it. I did this expecting the problem go go away. I received a letter telling me they had reviewed it and the claim was denied. It was a coincidence but the same day I received this letter I got a camping world circular with the CEO for good sam Marcus whatever advertisement inside telling about their warranty service and if anyone had any complaints to email him. It was rather late at night when I did this probably around 2am. I figured it would not help but it would help when I sued to show I had complied with any requests from the company to mitigate the problem. The next morning at 8am a vice president from Good Sam called me and said Marcus had read my email and told him to look into it. I told him the story and he agreed that it was not my fault that the repair could not be approved before hand. He said he needed to verify the facts and look up the invoice but would call me back that afternoon. I had also complained about the lack of service I had recieved from the tow service. after the first guy hung up a different guy called and said he was the Vice president in charge of road side service and Marcus had called him to check into my complaint. When i pointed out I did not really believe the CEO was reading complaints but was having someone else perform that task I was informed that Marcus was the New CEO and was trying to repair the Good Sam reputation and was personally reading all Emails from customers. I told this guy about the road side lack of service and some of the comments I was told ( at one point I was told that they could not do anything else and I was on my own) He said he would look into who I had talked to and would cure that problem. He also offered to give me a free extension for another year to my road side service and he also verified the road side service portion of my repair had been paid.

The first guy called me back later that afternoon and told me he had verified the facts and that he was going to issue me a check. It would go out that day and if I did not recieve it that week to call him. He also waived my 100.00 deductible to help make up for the problems I had.

The Point of this very long story is that Good Sams has a new CEO he has an email address and there is an actual web page on one of the RV forums where you can go and talk about complaints with good sams or camping world. My understanding is that the complaints from a few years ago warranted a new hand at the Helm and he is trying to fix them. I know the camping world I used at little rock, arkansas was horrible I hated it from the first work they did on my coach. After the new CEO took over good sams little rock is like a different world. They have a new manager he will talk to you about problems with service. After he took over I had a few problems with the service manager evidently someone else did also. They now have a new service manager. My warranty policy has 50.00 deductible if I use camping world. 100.00 if I use any one else.

So far under my warranty. I have had the inital cracked line replaced 600 + road service charge approx 150.00

overheated on trip to california new coolant fan hydraulic controller 1200.

new Sattelite dish. I upgraded and had to pay 400.00 difference to get a in motion dish versus a stationary dish ( by the way after using the in motion I hated it and they offered to replace it with a traveller with me paying the difference between the two.

Hydraulic stabilizer jack not going up correctly Do not remember how much but I believe not real cheap.

If you get good sam make sure that you tell the mechanic they have to get approval before any repairs made.

Sorry to be so long winded
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote