Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Not sure if this is the place to ask. Is it worth it? Has anyone used it and were you happy with it? Thank You
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #2

As far as I'm concerned it is well worth it.
We used to have 2001 Rose Air and had to be towed 3 times at about $600.00 each. Didn't cost us anything more than the yearly premium.
We now have new Entegra and wouldn't leave home without it.
Texas Jim 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

They would only send a mobile tech, first, to repair not tow... said if, tech could not fix, then would tow... 5 hours and $701.55 later, we were on the road... not sure what I purchased :(
USMC1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very Satisfied...on the way to Savannah Ga, pulled into fast food and discovered low tire...shop came out, resoved the problem, cost me $25.00.
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Have not used it. DW is comforted by having it so that makes it worth it.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Absolutely.
1. My MH does not have a spare tire ( that is a GOOD thing) if it did, in spite of myself, I would be some place terrible and try to change it myself. With Emergency Road Service , wouldn't even think about it.
2. Had occasion a few years ago to blow a transmission line, and had a fire in the engine compartment. Fortunately got the fire out without any damage. It was Memorial Day weekend, no place open to fix it so let it set. But had several phone calls during the weekend to GSERS. Did send too small a wrecker the first thing Tuesday morning, but a couple hours later sent a BIG wrecker. Who got her going that afternoon.
3. Had occasion to lock ourselves out of the rig with keys inside, on a Sunday afternoon at a rest stop on I-35. Didn't think about it being covered by my GSERS. Called a local locksmith, he drilled the lock, I paid him cash and we were on the road. Later at home thought about it being covered. Called them, discussed my situation, sent them the invoice, they sent me a check.
4. I am pretty sure they cover my cars as well. I never seem to remember to call them, just fix it myself. The few times I have a tire issue on the car, we are in the middle of nowhere and it would take hours to get someone to address my problem. Not nearly as easy now at my age to change a tire but I can. And it is good to know if the DW has a problem she can call them
Old 06-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I've used GSRA twice with tire issues in distant locations. Much simpler than trying to find help on my own. Once I had to unhitch toad and drive 30 miles to get a cell signal. By the time I got back to the RV only a 10 minute wait for service truck. You will have folks chip in here that will tell horror stories, but they can help while traveling.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
A Flat Tire in Cheyenne Wyoming
A wrecker for my toad in Lakeland, Florida
Jumpstart a dead battery in Beaumont, Texas

Great service, very prompt. I think they may lose money on me.
I would not be without it.
CPCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam Roadside

I just got my Good Sam Roadside Cards and then read that it can also be used on our cars and I could get a card for my college age daughter. They are now on the way.
sstehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Good for me over ten years have had there service.

Don
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #11

GSRA has apparently adopted a new policy regarding tire repairs. They do NOT. They will dispatch a tire service truck, but will only provide air to re-inflate, or labor to install a NEW tire, which you must provide/ purchase. NO plugging or patching allowed.
I've bought GSRA for many years, but have never used it. I recently received my renewal notice at $139.99 / year and called to tell them "no thanks".
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
GSRA has apparently adopted a new policy regarding tire repairs. They do NOT. They will dispatch a tire service truck, but will only provide air to re-inflate, or labor to install a NEW tire, which you must provide/ purchase. NO plugging or patching allowed.
I've bought GSRA for many years, but have never used it. I recently received my renewal notice at $139.99 / year and called to tell them "no thanks".
Do any roadside assistance programs offer free tires? Plugging tires is not always safe, it can weaken the tire, that's why many tire places won't do it anymore. If you got a renewal for $139.99, I wonder who sent it? GSRA is $79.95 'Standard', $114.95 'Platinum RV', $159.95 'Platinum +RV'

Roadside Assistance Plans for RVs and Autos - Good Sam

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #13

Unless you are a real do it yourselfer, when you break down you need roadside assistance. True for me. All three of the majors who offer RV coverage, AAA, CoachNet, and GoodSam (in alphabetical order) rely on contract service stations to supply service. The service will be as good or as bad as the contract facility. Personally, I had a problem with AAA, then I was dissatisfied with CoachNet. I now have Good Sam. FMCA has now contracted with somebody other than CoachNet. Recently I was at a Rally and my jacks would not retract. GoodSam found a major truck repair service that would come to the location in Indio. It took about 15 minutes to find a place that offered hydraulic service. The truck would take about 2 hours to reach me. As it turned out, other RVers managed to get me up and going, and I was able to cancel the truck before it left the previous job. But all in all I was satisfied with Good Sam's response to my situation. As for the cost of all the roadside programs...I'm paying for the peace of mind of being able to make one call for assistance. The cost of one tow would easily pay for a few years of membership.
Oh, and both CoachNet and GoodSam offer on the phone technical assistance. I guess this could be helpful if you can't find the fuse.
JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #14

Sounds like the SMART thing to do would to be to at least always have a unmounted spare and the SMARTEST thing would be to have a mounted spare. Why people would want to waste their time and money buying a overpriced tire and sit on the side of the road waiting for it to be mounted by a repair person is beyond me. If you carry a mounted spare they simply put it on and your on your way.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote