Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There was a post recently where they said AAA had substantially changed their RV towing policy and not for the good. I don't recall what limitations they put on towing. You might want to double check before going with or staying with AAA.

We have AAA for our cars, but use Coach Net for the RV.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Almost surely not true for roadside assist claims, nor for any accident that is not your fault. Those are generally NOT considered to be "chargeable claims" (an insurance term). These days, prior claims are rarely much of a rate factor anyway; the algorithms for rates are complex and cover a variety of things and your driving record and claims history are just one small part.
My bad! I didn't realize that the insurance companies classify roadside assistance claims separately from regular collision and liability claims. Thanks for correcting my error Gary!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
I’ve been told by my longtime agent that roadside service claims do not affect your rate but who knows for sure. In 30 years of rv’ing I’ve never had to use roadside service so I don’t expect it to be a recurring theme. Doesn’t seem like a great deal of advantage in GS.
I HAD State Farm roadside assistance until I used it in July 2019. After 40 years as a State Farm customer, I have left State Farm over this one use.
1) Using it does show as a claim.
2) it is administered by a second company. You have to have access to the internet outside of regular business hours.
3) The person I was finally able to talk with, disputed I was where I said I was. Apparently Medina West Virginia doesn't appear on whatever software he had.
4) After sending several screen shots and sharing my location, he agreed that I was just north of Medina WV on I77.
5) After telling them I had a F350 that weighs more then 7,800 pounds they sent a f350 with wheel lift. When the driver tried to lift the front end of mine, his front end came off the ground.
6) He left to get a bigger roll back. Returned 2 hours later. Said that State Farm would only approve a tow back south to the nearest garage. He said the address they gave him went out of business a couple of years ago.
7) He agreed to tow me north to the nearest Ford commercial truck dealer.

This mess started at 1pm. The rollback loaded me at 6:30pm. It was 103 degrees. Needless to say, the road wasn't the only thing hot that day. State Farm's answer to my complaint "Our Road Side Assistance program is managed by an outside vendor". My agent's answer? "I'll refer it to corporate."

Ford dealer replaced the seized air pump and serpentine belt the next morning after I kinda slept in the truck in the service center parking lot.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Angry

Click image for larger version

Name:	A9R10upm46_tvnme4_qp4.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	306994

The Statement from State Farm showing the roadside assistance as a claim.icon8.gif
Old 11-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #19

I just renewed my Good Sam roadside assistance. I also have the basic AAA. I looked into upgrading my AAA to cover my 40' diesel pusher but after comparing the two policy's I stayed with Good Sam. I'm sorry I don't remember the details but I do recall the price was substantially more for AAA. Even the agent that was Quoting me said that the Good Sam plan was better, She said she has a lot of clients like myself that have AAA in addition with Good Sam for the motorhome. I have the Platinum membership, The basic GS plan does not tow a class A rig
AC Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #20

Just ran across this. Anyone have experience with Escapees Roadside Assistance?

https://www.escapees.com/benefits/es...yyQMUpbTZ-7F88
Old 11-06-2020, 07:29 AM   #21

The Escapee's RA vendor is SafeRide, the same as FMCA. I've been with FMCA for the last year but their RA rate has doubled so I'm debating the same question as the OP. I have Progressive on my rig and the RA they offer seems pretty good. Do I really need to have another policy? Coach-Net no longer offers a "basic" policy - yes, I called them. I don't want Good Sams and will no longer support FMCA....so that leaves me with my Progressive RA and/or join Escapee's and add the SafeRide RA which does have pretty good reviews out there.

Quote:
Just ran across this. Anyone have experience with Escapees Roadside Assistance?

https://www.escapees.com/benefits/es...yyQMUpbTZ-7F88
blueeyedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #22

state Farm Roadside

About 5 years ago we had to be towed, My DP. We were out in the middle of the Arizona desert along I-8. The roadside service pinged the cell phone as we didn't know exactly where we were. It took a long time for them to find a big tow truck and they came over 100 miles out and towed us 105 miles to Phoenix to Freightliner. NO charge !! I can't complain about State Farm roadside but I believe that companies like coach net, etc may have a easier and faster time with large tow trucks, maybe?

Happy Travels
bernie2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #23

Quote:

- State Farm cost $10\yr vs $140\yr for Good Sam.

$10/yr? My State Farm towing/roadside is 8.50/month, about $100/year.
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #24

pbdblue, I suggest reading the fine print before dropping GS ERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I thought that GS would tow you to the nearest qualified service facility regardless of the distance!
Exactly right. GS ERS towed our MH past several independent diesel repair shops to Cummins Great Plains service center; which was the closest qualified repair facility. That one tow was over $2,000.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog53 View Post
$10/yr? My State Farm towing/roadside is 8.50/month, about $100/year.
Don't know what to say. Mine is $10.08/yr. I don't pay by the month. State Farm RV policies (at least here in CA) are 12 month vs 6 month for auto. I've been carrying it along with my GS policy just because it's so inexpensive.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
pbdblue, I suggest reading the fine print before dropping GS ERS.

Exactly right. GS ERS towed our MH past several independent diesel repair shops to Cummins Great Plains service center; which was the closest qualified repair facility. That one tow was over $2,000.
As far as I've been able to determine SF has no mileage limit. Reading my GS policy it does not specify "nearest qualified repair center". Specifically it says "nearest service center". Seems like that's kind of up to the provider and not to the facility of your choice in either case. If you happen to get a friendly driver perhaps he's a little accommodating. On paper the two services look similar. There are plenty of GS horror stories as well as those with good outcomes so it's not like their reputation is squeaky clean. Fortunately I've never had to use ERS so I don't have any first hand experiences to go on.

The SF fine print:

"Towing the vehicle to the nearest repair facility if the vehicle:

1) Cannot be started or driven without causing damage
2) Is on a public road"
Old 11-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #27

Understand... Ohio State Farm allows monthly, quarterly, semi- and annual payments. No penalty payment or discount for any term.
I'd like $8/yr better...!
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:08 AM   #28

I had USAA insurance and called for a tow. Provider would not come because I was more than 50' off the main road. I was on a private paved driveway. That was filed as a claim and my rates went up because of it. There was no cost, or service provided. Just the phone call.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, tow, towing