Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Good Service

I just had my 98 Country Coach in for a fluid and filter change at Valley Power Systems in San Diego.They are an Allison service and distribution center. They did an awesome job!. I switched from the standard dextron tranny fluid to the Allison recommended synthetic fluid called TranSyn. The total cost was $456. The Cummins Cal Pacific shop that is also an authorized Allison service center in El Cajon just east of San Diego wanted almost $800 for the same service, they also wanted $450 for a basic oil change and to replace my fuel filters. I said no thanks! But kudos go out to Valley Power Systems of San Diego.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'd suggest you go put a review of RV Service Reviews. Always good to spread the news on good service.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I just did it. I was unaware that the website existed
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow $450 bucks to get your trans oil changed
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
The Cummins Cal Pacific dealers are no deal for sure!
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #6

Hanko you sound surprised. Do you think it was too much or a good deal. Cummins Cal Pacific wanted around $800 for the same service and $450 for an engine oil and fuel filter service. They did put in the synthetic fluid which means I'm good for 300K miles or 4 years. The regular Dextron fluid was 20K miles or once a year. It was a worthwhile expense in my book
Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
No, not really. I just added it to my list of reasons I dont want a deisel coach.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #8

One reason I like to have having a DP is that its good to know that I have a very good chance that my Engine and Transmission will still be around and running in 300K miles. Not too many gasers owners can look forward to that. I've talked to a gaser owner that said he had to replace his engine after 108k miles. And now his tranny is about due to be overhauled. I currently have 94k miles on my Cummins engine and Allison Transmission. At that milage they were just broken in and warmed up. It may be cheaper to maintain a Gaser but it won't last as long as a diesel. I plan on having this coach until the day I go to meet my maker.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
YC1

I paid 950 for engine oil and filter and the tranny filters and oil with synthetic in the tranny. The oil is expensive but as mentioned won't have to do it for a long time again. The engine oil change averages around $400 with regular oil. They have to remove a rock guard which adds ten minutes to the job. The oil change last at least 15000 miles and a year by the book but with our easy driving can go longer with analysis.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersrus View Post
One reason I like to have having a DP is that its good to know that I have a very good chance that my Engine and Transmission will still be around and running in 300K miles. Not too many gasers owners can look forward to that. I've talked to a gaser owner that said he had to replace his engine after 108k miles. And now his tranny is about due to be overhauled. I currently have 94k miles on my Cummins engine and Allison Transmission. At that milage they were just broken in and warmed up. It may be cheaper to maintain a Gaser but it won't last as long as a diesel. I plan on having this coach until the day I go to meet my maker.

your engine and trans might, but I doubt your coach will be. Is there any motorhomes still runnin around with 300 thou on them?

Tags
service