Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Good, smallish diesel pusher

Hi all. New to the Forum. My significant other and I will be going full time around the beginning of 2016. We know we want a used Class A diesel pusher, but nothing too big (maybe 32-35 ft). Anybody have any suggestions on a good, reliable coach? Also, we plan on towing a 4door Jeep Wrangler. Should I have any concerns with towing power?
Roamin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

Tiffin 33aa, $$$$ if you got the money.
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

It is generally accepted that floorplan is king...under 35' might cut-off some nice options.

Here's a hint for shopping used - once you know the year/make/model you desire, use
SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more
to search all of Craigslist. Private party and dealer sales are often listed on Craigslist ('cuz it's free). We found our RV in TX at a serious discounted price over the identical RV near our residence.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

Foretravel makes a 34 and 36 footer that are very nice. You can find them used all the way back to 95 or so in the U style and earlier in the Grand Villa style.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #5

We love the floorplan of our 35 foot 2011 Itasca (Winnebago) 34Y Meridian. With 340 HP, no problems towing a Honda CRV.
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Mike View Post
Hi all. New to the Forum. My significant other and I will be going full time around the beginning of 2016. We know we want a used Class A diesel pusher, but nothing too big (maybe 32-35 ft). Anybody have any suggestions on a good, reliable coach? Also, we plan on towing a 4door Jeep Wrangler. Should I have any concerns with towing power?
Roamin Mike,
Well, you don't say what your possible price range would/could be. That will dictate the combination year/model/length that you can go after. Obviously a bit older CAN lend itself to be NICER, depending on a few things. Newer, will be more costly and, you may have to limit preferences due to the newer age.

So, with all that being said, I don't know your RV experience(s) so, just what will appeal to you in earlier models/floor plans/colors etc., only you will be able to tell. Smaller coaches have some advantages. Say, around 32-34' Diesel pushers, for one, are a bit rare but, not always and, will be a bit more forgiving when it comes to handling in RV parking spots/campsites etc.

There are some state and Federal campgrounds that supposedly have limits on RV length. We've been to a few like that and, the "limit lengths" have not prevailed, we've seen coaches in spots that were supposed to be for smaller, shorter coaches and, were filled with way larger ones. The smaller diesels, as in around 32' have reportedly had handling issues like "Porpoising" (a bit of waving up and down) as you travel certain roadways and highways due to engine weight in the back and not too much to counter that weight up front so, you get that effect, once in a while.

I've driven a few of those 32' units and, never experienced any of that effect. And, the smaller the coach, the more curtailed the floor plan is. If you go out and inspect some 36' units and, like what you see, then go into 34' coaches of the same brand/year/model, you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you go into the smaller ones first, then head into some larger ones, as in 36' or a bit larger, you'll be amazed at what an extra couple of feet brings you. There's all kinds of brands, makes, models, years to choose from out there in the used RV world. Many have been well taken care of and some, have been drug through war zones. Smaller ones may come with limited battery banks and inverters while larger ones, would have larger battery banks and, larger inverters and/or, Inverter/chargers (for charging house battery banks while being plugged into shore power or, generator operations.

There's lots to consider here. A smart move would be to attend and RV sales event near you so you can meander in and out continuously and, not have to travel to the ends of the world and forget what you've seen so far. And, while some might think it would be "odd", I'd take along a camera to help keep your memory straight. That way, you and the S/O can sit down quietly in your own home and, go over what you've seen up to that point without some sales idiot pressing you.

As for mileage on a diesel, not really a problem, no matter how much you encounter in a particular coach. About 99.99% of the diesels in these coaches are way under in mileage, of their capability. Of course, it's always nice if you can be presented with some form of maintenance copies or schedules that have been done on a coach you're interested in. Maintenance on a diesel is not all that bad, contrary to popular belief.

Yes, the oil pans are a bit larger and, there's sometimes TWO fuel filters so, if and when it comes down to some standard maintenance, it will be a tad bit higher in cost. The brakes on most diesel pushers will go a minimum of 100K or more, simply due to the fact that there's usually an EXHAUST BRAKE or, a JAKE BRAKE (also known as a "compression brake") installed in/on those coaches which, helps tremendously in braking during long down grades or, even around town.

But, if those auxiliary braking systems have been used properly, that will extend your service interval for your regular brakes to way beyond 100,000 miles and, even up to 150,000 or more. Well, there's a bit more but, I've tried to give you at least something to think about in your search. Good luck in your hunt.
Scott

P.S. I forgot to mention, towing a 4-door Jeep will, for the most part, not be a problem for even your shorter diesels. We towed 7 different Jeeps for over 25 years, with 4 different coaches. Two class Cs, and two Class As. The first three were gas coaches and, handled the Jeeps admirably. Our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, does just great with anything we put behind it. If you're speaking of the late model "JK" four-door, I suspect that the actual weight of one of those hovers real close to around 4500 - 4900 lbs., just a guess. Most Jeep towers way under-estimate just how much they're towing until they get it ACTUALLY WEIGHED. They go by whatever book says it weighs. WRONG! Go get it weighed so you'll know for certain. And, if and when you do get it weighed, FILL IT UP WITH FUEL prior to driving it on the scales.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

We have a Winnebago Journey 34Y. It is 34' 11" long. We love the floor plan. We spend 4 to 6 months a year in it and are looking forward to fulltiming in it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out the Tiffin 33AA

We love the floorplan, actually 35' in length. Check it out.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin also builds a 36 ft Phaeton and a 37 ft Allegro Bus if you need something a little more up scale.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #10

This thread has two posts from different members which seem to be recommending a specific floor plan offered by Tiffin, namely the "33aa". While that info may be helpful, I do wish posters would include the coach model name to make finding a specific floor plan easier. It took me a bit of searching on the Tiffin website to learn the "33aa" is one of the Allegro RED floor plans. Hope I'm not asking to much, but not all of us are Tiffin experts and would automatically "know" what ya'll are talking about.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Ed,

If you would have typed "Tiffin 33AA" into the browser search bar and hit enter, the first page is full of them. There are many Allegro's, and many RED's, but Tiffin only makes one 33AA .....so 33AA is the most specific way to find it.

He could also look at the Tiffin Breeze's, but I would wait for the 2016's which are getting totally redesigned with new engine, frame, floorplan, etc.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #12

You're going to get a lot of different opinions. Probably as many as there are different manufacturers and models.

We have a Newmar Ventana 3433 which is just under 35' long. We don't full time but are on an extended trip now and it's just the right size for us. Newmar makes a quality coach and so does Tiffin. We seen a ton of Tiffins while on this trip and were very interested in a Tiffin RED before we found the Ventana.

One thing you want to do is look at the weight the coach you're interested in can carry. Just because they are DPs, doesn't mean you can pack them with whatever you want to put in. The difference in the cargo capacity was one reason we decided on the Ventana.

I don't know that Newmar makes the 3433 now (ours is a 2011). It has a 4 opposing slides which we like. I believe they make the same length Ventana but it has 3 slides. One of them is a "full wall" slide which is very popular.

Good luck with your search!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #13

Depending on what you want to spend, don't rule out mid to late Holiday Rambler Ambassador, of course. Can get a lot of coach 38', for less money. Solid package.

"life happens, enjoy it".. 🇺🇸
2008 HR Ambassador DP 360 38'
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I love mine...but it's a bit on the old side.

Tags
diesel