Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 AM   #15

Did not have TPMS. I had checked tire pressure that morning at 110
SDSliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #16

Insurance will cover everything but the deductible and the tire itself
Old 06-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #17

The tire was two and half years old with less than 3000 on it. I haven’t done much traveling lately since moving to The Villages in Florida
Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #18

I would revise 'a TPMS won't help' to 'a TPMS may help'. Back when I had a three axle 5th wheel I had 7 or 8 tire failures. The TPMS caught all but 1 of them and I was able to get off the road safely before the tire blew or was completely ruined. In one case it was as described above. I heard a loud bang and looked in the mirror quick enough to see flying scraps of rubber, just as the TPMS started to chirp. The tire looked a lot like the pictures above, simply gone.
I moved my system over to our motorhome and added enough sensors to cover the toad as well. No protection for a sudden blowout, but it's still a layer of protection for other failure modes that involve a more gradual loss of pressure or an increase of temperature such as forgetting to release the toad emergency brake. In 15k miles the system alerted me to two slow leaks, one on the bus and one on the toad. To be fair, I would have easily found both of these without a TPMS system by simply doing a manual pressure check every few days.
My sympathies to the OP, glad he got the rig off the road safely and that insurance is covering most of the damages. A manual inspection as mentioned above sounds like a really good idea, at least for the steering wheels. Maybe that's as important as having a TPMS.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #19

Im surprised anyone is willing to run these Goodyears as steers after these stories.

What a horrible experience.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSliter View Post
RV670 295/80R/22.5
Experienced my first blowout last week on I75 Southbound in Georgia. Did a lot of damage to my motor home. Not a fun experience.
I just talked to Goodyear Customer Service. They require the tire debris to be recovered and sent to their laboratory for analysis before they will provide any relief. The insurance will not cover the tire. I think Goodyear is disgusting. The least they could do is provide a substantial discount on a replacement tire.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #21

Quote:
I just talked to Goodyear Customer Service. They require the tire debris to be recovered and sent to their laboratory for analysis before they will provide any relief. The insurance will not cover the tire. I think Goodyear is disgusting. The least they could do is provide a substantial discount on a replacement tire.

So they expect you to go into the middle of a highway, pick up at least a 100 lb of shredded tire and provide it to them? That is unbelievable, very disappointed in Goodyear if that's the case.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #22

Assuming your tpms is working properly, sudden deflation, say to critically low in less than 20 seconds probably won't help you as by the time you hear/see the warning it is to late.
But slower deflation should give you warning. Not saying that is your case. But without tpms, how do you really know?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Even if Goodyear gave me two free RV G670 tires, I would not install them! It's just not worth the risk and amount of damage they cause.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #24
RHR

I'm glad you were able to get safely stopped without more serious consequences! I always hope if that happens on a steer I'm able to manage the right moves in time to avert a more serious outcome than a blow out. As most know, things happen quickly when it goes south. I replaced my GY tires after losing 3 in one day. I curbed one in the am, checked it visually but was concerned, so I kept an eye on it. Found a bubble in it 2 hours later and replaced it on the side of the road. I was 2 miles from home and had a rear blow on the other side inner. Decided to just nurse it home. I then found 2 big blisters on the sidewall of one front. Miracle it didn't blow also. After having GY not replace a new tire on my pov (another blow out at highway speed), I'm done with them. Six year old tires on the rig, pressures were correct and tires looked fine that morning, until I curbed one. Couldn't believe what a difference in ride quality after replacing them. Felt like going from a brick to a tire.
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Welcome to the GY G670 blowout club. We had a RF blow out on I 55 couple of years ago...not old, correct pressure, cruising at 62. Like flying an airplane, the first thing you do is to maintain control...no problem there with the heavy duty power steering systems on these coaches, tapped off the cruise, coasted to the shoulder. American Coach puts triple mirrors on it's coaches. That bottom lens, oriented on the front tire, was a big help in determining how far off the road I could go.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #26

My blowout was a little worse.

Vapor Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I have been running those same Goodyear tires for 14 1/2 years now. I have never had a problem with them.

Jerry
Old 06-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #28

Good year blowout

Everybody should write down and memorize what you did to keep the Coach on the road. If you lose a front tire to blowout Speed Up, don't try to steer or use brakes immediately. The sudden force will take you off the road for some serious damage or loss of life. When you get where you can control it you will be safe. You were smart to drive that rig the way you did. Blowouts are not scripted, they just happen!
Judge32 is offline   Reply With Quote